Are "Nice Guys" Made for the Corporate Environment?

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
Hey everyone,

Been reading "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Robert A. Glover.

He mentions some typical "Nice Guy" behavior:
  • Doesn't rock the boat
  • Keeps feelings to himself
  • Super helpful for others
  • Seeks approval of others
I compared this to my behavior in the office, white-collar environment. Turns out, I do a lot of these things! And my rationale is that minimizing negative attention and maximizing problem-solving are most palatable to leadership.

I know for personal development, you don't want to do the above. That's for sure. But I can't help but think that leadership PREFERS "Nice Guys". Think about it. A super-helpful, seemingly conflict-free employee that won't rattle chain of command (at least not obviously).

I know "Nice Guys" actually have resentment and such under the hood. But on paper, they make good worker bees.

I think they can get to middle management ok. There's still a lot of leadership above to please. But I don't see them going to upper management as much. The leaders in my company are not "Nice Guys". They're still helpful but definitely not pushovers.

What are y'all's thoughts on this?

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Depends on who is the immediate CEO.

Often it is not the CEO but your manager or supervisor.

If you can smell some level of realness, and also they also willing to kinda help, and they also kinda asshole but their asshole is very obvious but you feel like something's off, you can excel there.

Because they are not technically terrible people.

Just victim of circumstances.

Don't waste climb up the ladder on scenarios worse than this. What society don't tell you is that not many rise to the top.

They only show the few that rise to the top and amplify those stories but reality is, it's quite a battlefield and it's not good for your mental health.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@Train,

Yes!

More literally than perhaps you intended (or maybe you did intend it when you worded it that way).

It starts with schooling and parents.

Schools are corporate training grounds. They've adjusted their rules and itineraries over time to coincide with the demands of the professional world. The constant refrain from everyone involved in the school system is, "You need to do this if you ever want to have a job!" or "If you behave like that, no one will ever hire you!" Parents support the school system, because they want their kids to be able to support themselves as adults.

That's not to knock schools or parents. What they're telling kids is reality. Most people are going to work for someone else. And what you do not want in an employee is someone who is overly rambunctious, overly outspoken, picks fights, breaks too many rules, can't get the right answer or follow protocol properly, etc. It just makes the manager's job difficult.

But the side effect of training children to be good little cogs in the corporate system also makes them extremely un-assertive. There's been a lot of debate on "Why are so many guys who do well in school and succeed in their careers bad with women?" and the converse "Why are so many deadbeat failures at life good with girls?" The behavioral modifications you undergo to adapt to the adult workforce is part of the cause.

Back in my 9-to-5 days, when I'd go out gaming after work, it felt like I was having to shift out of one personality and into a completely different one. During the day: follow orders, try to look busy, don't piss anyone off. By night: be a rebel, be a rogue, lead, flirt, challenge. There was this constant feeling all the time of "I am being half real, half faking." When I no longer had a corporate job I finally got to be the same person all the time. Perhaps not coincidentally, I hit my best stride with girls after I left the "holding down a job" world.

I can't say that everyone experiences this. I know a few guys who hold down 9-to-5s and are nevertheless inveterate gamers. So maybe it depends on the guy how much this affects you or not.

But, to your point, Train -- yeah, nice guys really ARE "made" for the corporate world.

They're made that way by school and parents, who only want the best for them.

They're trained as well as they can be for job success.

Unfortunately, their social success, in the process of all that, is neglected.

With all the social sanctions over what you cannot say and the sex harassment witch hunt in workplaces now, and how they are training kids for this in school, I just would not want to be a kid coming up in today's education system. There's more and more stuff to selectively deprogram yourself from every year.

They've done a lot over the past couple decades to cut out gym classes, recesses, and all the other already-limited opportunities school students had to socialize and develop better social skills during school, too. It's not to be malicious -- it's because the working world keeps getting more competitive, and they are trying to make students more competitive hires, by training them even more and deeper in "corporation-approved" skills and strategies.

One thing I'd note here -- girls who go through the school system also change. They adapt their mate-search criteria to look for guys who are still reasonably sociable, but also are their peers and have done similarly well in school/work. There has always been this claim in the red pill / manosphere communities that educated career women are all secretly seeking after / chasing down illiterate third world guys as the ultimate sex machines. Well, I will tell you this... I like educated career women (so long as they are young and attractive educated career women ;)), and I have bedded a lot of them, talked to a lot of them, and befriended a lot of them. I have seen a lot of their sexual histories, and even among the hypersexual ones there is nary an illiterate third world poverty guy to be found. These girls will go for unemployed guys sometimes if those guys still have that "can succeed in the system" aura about him -- like a he's a talented painter or he's a guy who travels the world or has some other interesting thing about him. But they are not shagging the hillbilly auto mechanic who works for 8 bucks an hour. Nor are they shagging the 30-something guy who just got here from Somalia and is living in public housing and can barely speak English.

So -- if you went through that system, it is not like you need to forget everything you know and go be a plumber.

You just need to re-learn some of the instinctual assertive stuff the school system trains out of you, just enough that you can appeal to women, flirt with them, lead them, bed them, and handle them in a relationship.

Of course, if you do leave the corporate world and do something where you're no longer following orders all the time, it gets easier to appeal to a broad range of women.

But yeah... nice guys are literally made for the corporate world (by parents and schools).

They are made that way because their parents and schools want them to succeed professionally, because someone who is pliant, rule-following, a "team player", and all that other stuff corporations say they want and schools say you have to be really IS what corporations want.

In pretty much every role other than date coach or writer, I also look for these same qualities when I'm hiring for GC. I have hired somewhere north of 200 people over the past 9 years (obviously not all at once). And whenever I hire, in the back of my head I am asking myself, "Is this guy going to be punctual? Is he going to be professional? Am I going to have to deal with any drama or sloppiness with him? Is he going to be capable of following the protocols I set out for him?"

Sort of ironic -- I'm running a site that teaches guys how to let go of being a nice guy.

But when I hire, except when hiring coaches, I am diligently looking for all those "nice guy" qualities.

That's just how the world goes round, ain't it?

Chase

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Bismarck

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
This is an interesting thread guys!

To the OP: if you want to have a social life outside of pickup, I would say that listening attentively when others talk, trying to place yourself in their shoes, to see the world through their eyes, will lead to better understanding and more possibilities for empathy. Keeping your opinions to yourself, as Chase mentioned in an article on GC about letting go of rigid hierarchies and social climbing I think it was. This is how you build social circles and start having an active social life.

People like to be around people who are genuinely curious about them, as opposed to talking only about themselves. People also like to be around people who make them feel good without expecting anything in return, and who help them get their needs met, instead of seeking only to get their own needs met.

In other words, Glover's medicine shouldn't be taken in mouthfuls without keeping in mind that being an assertive "doesn't care what others think" can easily verge towards asshole behavior if you're not calibrated and aware of your impact on others. This might get you laid but it won't get you many friends to speak of. Also, when friends are involved, you have to learn to defang yourself and not flirt with their girlfriends.

Sure, Glover hits the sweet spot when he talks about not seeking the approval of others. You should be self-validated, but it can be difficult to be totally self-validated. To some extent we all (social animals that we are, first and foremost) rely on some measure of external reaction to our being.

Concluding: there's how you're meant to behave at work (and I agree that increasingly it's becoming quite challenging to survive in the white-collar corporate office world, where girls roam about semi-naked in short skirts with deep cleavage and guys are meant to pretend they don't have a dick, not looking at her hooters or fine derriere (she might even flirt with you, but you can't flirt back: it's like a chode production line)), how you should be to attract girls, and how you should be to have male friends.

The three are basically different.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this!

For sure, Zac. I've been lucky to have bosses that are strong but have a great heart. Not out of neediness. But they care.

Chase, I noticed that link between society and nice guys. But I hadn't yet captured that society intentionally created these kind of men. Interesting perspective, thank you.

I can see how having too many Chiefs and few Indians would be a problem for society as a whole.

And I do struggle with two personas: meek, diligent, inoffensive worker bee and crass, unbound guy off work.

I think the corporate environment is great for structure, discipline, and learn without having to reinvent the wheel. But eventually I want to be self-employed for increased freedom of travel and travel.

I do know I can shed some of the nice guy aura at work because I see guys like that at work. But there's a cap. Not saying I want to walk into an orgy in the coffee room but my personality feels muted.

I know firsthand a friend who almost got fired by a false sexual harassment complaint too. It wrecked him. He was lucky to have witnesses and evidence. But the company was close to kicking him out until he produced all that.

It's curious to see how the compliance fades as you go up the ranks. CEOs do need to report to boards and such, and play politics, but they seen to have more defined sense of self. I remember chatting with a VP of my company. He was charismatic, emotionally available, but it was founded on strength. Didn't strike me as a typical "nice guy". I think that they're a hybrid that know how to play the game in a way that they can still climb the ladder. Self-selection at work, I think.

Thanks for the article, Carousel. I've been working on implementing those same actions and habits these past few months. Asserting myself and forgoing people's approval feels exhilarating. This forum is great because it's full of ambitious, motivated men that I want to be like.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
This is an interesting thread guys!

To the OP: if you want to have a social life outside of pickup, I would say that listening attentively when others talk, trying to place yourself in their shoes, to see the world through their eyes, will lead to better understanding and more possibilities for empathy. Keeping your opinions to yourself, as Chase mentioned in an article on GC about letting go of rigid hierarchies and social climbing I think it was. This is how you build social circles and start having an active social life.

People like to be around people who are genuinely curious about them, as opposed to talking only about themselves. People also like to be around people who make them feel good without expecting anything in return, and who help them get their needs met, instead of seeking only to get their own needs met.

In other words, Glover's medicine shouldn't be taken in mouthfuls without keeping in mind that being an assertive "doesn't care what others think" can easily verge towards asshole behavior if you're not calibrated and aware of your impact on others. This might get you laid but it won't get you many friends to speak of. Also, when friends are involved, you have to learn to defang yourself and not flirt with their girlfriends.

Sure, Glover hits the sweet spot when he talks about not seeking the approval of others. You should be self-validated, but it can be difficult to be totally self-validated. To some extent we all (social animals that we are, first and foremost) rely on some measure of external reaction to our being.

Concluding: there's how you're meant to behave at work (and I agree that increasingly it's becoming quite challenging to survive in the white-collar corporate office world, where girls roam about semi-naked in short skirts with deep cleavage and guys are meant to pretend they don't have a dick, not looking at her hooters or fine derriere (she might even flirt with you, but you can't flirt back: it's like a chode production line)), how you should be to attract girls, and how you should be to have male friends.

The three are basically different.
Thanks for the insight on balancing Glover's views. I don't want to go from "nice" to asshole. But I think the trick is that "normal" behavior feels assholish to a "nice guy".

I have seen that one's behavior should adjust to the environment/context like you alluded. I don't talk to my mom the way I talk to my boss or the way I talk to the cute girl at the cafe. It seems to me that part of social skills is knowing your audience, through empathy, perhaps? This is what you refer to, right?

The good thing about being socially anxious or needy, I've found, is that I am super aware of social norms and people's feelings. It's almost a curse since you can read when people are angry, jealous, even turned on, lol.

Thank goodness I found PUA and other avenues like it. I would have been on track to be a total chode.

hotsauce

Space Monkey
space monkey
I think it's funny as we hear corporations say 'we want leaders' day in and day out. But they don't actually want leaders, they want followers. They want followers who will shut up, take orders, and not rock the boat. A lot of successful corporate ppl and academics are beta af.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
I think it's funny as we hear corporations say 'we want leaders' day in and day out. But they don't actually want leaders, they want followers. They want followers who will shut up, take orders, and not rock the boat. A lot of successful corporate ppl and academics are beta af.
I think it gives people something to strive for. I think leaders do still have to be compliant to some extent. Just less so than the employees down the chain.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
You guys seem to be asking the wrong questions with regards to workplaces etc. You seem to be looking for a solution within the paradigm that you have to accept corporate cuckery, when you instead should try to gain a higher-resolution understanding on how to avoid most of these problems.

What you should ask is instead:
  • How can you create economic value given my skills and interests?
  • How much money do you actually need, now and in the future? You can NOT listen to others on this. People project their wasteful habits.
  • Should you be a blue collar or white collar? Yes, there are rich blue-collars as they often own their own companies here.
  • What university subjects are economically valuable and what are useless in this respect? Particularly important for US guys.
  • If you have a seemingly useless degree, can you make it useful by finding a niche market or studying a couple of more things?
  • Do you actually need a degree or even showing up at the university? For example, programming can be learnt from online courses.
  • How do you make myself hard to replace and easily hired, so that witch hunts will be less likely and have fewer consequences? Think abundance REALITY. None of my advice here will 100% prevent problems. But just like the chode who tolerates his LTR being a bitch or is afraid of losing her, scarcity at the job market will make you susceptible to unreasonable treatment. Having an abundance reality at the job market will give you the ability to easily find new opportunities.
  • How can you avoid workplaces with lots of cucks and women all together? Or at least avoid the most cucked companies.
  • Should you work on my own or for a company?
  • Can you choose a type of work that later enables you to start on your own, if you get sick of working for others?
  • Who should you not work for? This applies to both companies and individual bosses.
  • How do you calibrate various PUA concepts to stuff like job interviews and workplace dynamics? These are related concepts but there are many important differences.
  • What are common questions on job interviews and how do you answer them?
  • How do you apply online game skills to places like LinkedIn?
  • How do you apply social circle game skills to business networking?
  • How do you write applications and resumes to various target audiences?
  • How do you pitch what you can offer?
  • What leadership skills are actually praised in business environments?
  • What sorts of people at work are difficult and who are not?
  • How do you actually deal with difficult people at work?
  • How do you prevent people at work from knowing incriminating information about you?
  • How do you steer conversations away from potentially dangerous topics?
Not going to do full writeup on this. Too much trolling here.

PS: I have not sensed any difference in PU results when I have worked for others or for myself. Probably because I haven't viewed my bosses as adversaries.

Last edited:

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Not going to do full writeup on this. Too much trolling here

Quick answer. I don't think it's TROLLING.

If it is, it doesn't matter because if it's valuable, they will read it and it's just part of social dynamics to put one's value above others and/or save face (very common in Asia. Too toxic).

You bring up a lot of questions that will force someone to have a nuance answer.

That also by itself is tough. Because not everyone has an answer and/or people not there yet.

I be thinking about your questions and try to note it on my journal, the context and nuance.

A lot of high level context on Girlschase that is not talk about despite so much value given by the GC. And you give me more to ponder as I fill this time too during this pandemic.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Quick answer. I don't think it's TROLLING.

If it is, it doesn't matter because if it's valuable, they will read it and it's just part of social dynamics to put one's value above others and/or save face (very common in Asia. Too toxic).

You bring up a lot of questions that will force someone to have a nuance answer.

That also by itself is not tough. Because not everyone has an answer and/or people not there yet.

I be thinking about your questions and try to note it on my journal, the context and nuance.

A lot of high level context on Girlschase that is not talk about. And you give me more to ponder as I fill this time too during this pandemic.

Thanks for proving me correct at first opportunity with this gibberish derail.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
You guys seem to be asking the wrong questions with regards to workplaces etc. You seem to be looking for a solution within the paradigm that you have to accept corporate cuckery, when you instead should try to gain a higher-resolution understanding on how to avoid most of these problems.

What you should ask is instead:

How can I create economic value given my skills and interests?
How much money do I actually need, now and in the future? You can NOT listen to others on this as other people project their usually wasteful habits.
Should I be a blue collar or white collar? Yes, there are rich blue-collars as they often own their own companies here.
How do I make myself hard to replace and easily hired, so that witch hunts will be less likely and have fewer consequences?
How can I avoid workplaces with lots of cucks and women all together? Or at least avoid the most cucked companies.
Should I work on my own or for a company?
Who should I not work for? This applies to both companies and individual bosses.
How do you calibrate various PUA concepts to stuff like job interviews and workplace dynamics? These are related concepts but there are many important differences.
What sort of leadership skills are actually praised in business environments?
What sorts of people at work are difficult and who are not?
How do you deal with difficult people at work?

Not going to do full writeup on this. Too much trolling here.

PS: I have not sensed any difference in PU results when I have worked for others or for myself. Probably because I haven't viewed my bosses as adversaries.
Thank you for the writeup. This is a more constructive mindset vs the more defeatist one I had.

I've been working on a side hustle to eventually be more free (both from leadership and location). There's always someone or something to answer to, but this is more my taste.

I've also realized that I can tone down the "niceness" since others at work do so successfully. I'm also looking for another job within the company to expand my value, retain job-seeking skills, and have fresh starts or a chance to make new and more impressions.

I've got a good sense of dealing with difficult people. But a major problem is I have a scarcity mindset. I operate from the belief that this kind of job is rare. And so I tend to act rashly when threatened.

Reminds me, need to start applying again. Been a year since my last hiring, haha.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Thank you for the writeup. This is a more constructive mindset vs the more defeatist one I had.

Good that you got something out of it. I have expanded the list a bit after thinking more.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Another thing here that struck me:

Many guys here probably consume significant amounts of either

1) Manosphere fatalist crap/Media scaremongering about people getting fired for some trivial "offense".

or

2) Listen to guys like Jordan Peterson, who actually has very sharp observations on this topic like the fact that men and women did not spend that much time working together historically (see his discussions with Camilla Paglia) or that most men don't know how to confront female aggression. But then he generally doesn't produce much tactical advice like my post above because he does not have the relevant first hand experience. The same goes for a lot of the senior manosphere clowns (note: I don't regard JP as a clown).

So a lot of the info which goes INTO their calculation is either scaremongering or correct, but UNACTIONABLE info.

And note that even the CORRECT but UNACTIONABLE info just leads to fatalism.

Similar trends applies to LTR advice. Many guys make their calculations based on Manosphere fatalism, media scaremongering affecting 0.000001% of the population or outdated/unactionable advice from boomers.

In both cases, ACTIONABLE, NON-OUTDATED, HIGH-RESOLUTION advice is needed. Do not listen to anything else!

Last edited:

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
Great point, Carousel. I experienced the difference that taking action creates in the context of the "red pill" at work.

My coworker and I were unhappy about our positions in the company. No place is free from BS, politics, etc., I believe. But we had different approaches. I acted by applying for jobs, working my resume, meeting managers, interviewing, incorporating feedback from interviews, etc. They did half-hearted attempts between complaints, if any.

I ended up with an early promotion and making more than them. I have only 2 years in the company vs their 8 years.

I tried to support them. But couldn't make that horse drink the water.

It was a grind but at least it had light at the end of the tunnel. The other option was stewing in anger, hate, and helplessness.

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Great point, Carousel. I experienced the difference that taking action creates in the context of the "red pill" at work.

My coworker and I were unhappy about our positions in the company. No place is free from BS, politics, etc., I believe. But we had different approaches. I acted by applying for jobs, working my resume, meeting managers, interviewing, incorporating feedback from interviews, etc. They did half-hearted attempts between complaints, if any.

I ended up with an early promotion and making more than them. I have only 2 years in the company vs their 8 years.

I tried to support them. But couldn't make that horse drink the water.

It was a grind but at least it had light at the end of the tunnel. The other option was stewing in anger, hate, and helplessness.

I have been able to be actually a bit polarizing and with boundaries at work on biz, i have been able to get away with it, but it requires certain calibration, you also have to be good at what you do (the best to have leverage).....Here is a sample of a recent confrontation (as carousel says is no different from game):

Me: i have a client with poa so now they want me to add nbs but the counseling was done to the poa what do i do in this case?

director: what is the cid u giving me problems today, too much distraction from home = Major shit test

me: how am i giving you problems you are the manager right = boundaries

director: yeah but less problems when in the office = doubling down

me: you were the one that trained me right, so show me what part of my training you taught me this = calling him out

Director:

:)

= disrespect in my opinion stupid ass smiling faces

Me: last time i checked i am the top counselor like i have been in every other job i get, just a coincidence = displaying value

Director: what is the cid? = fatality changing the topic...

at the end back to normal...

of course you need to have a shit fund (6 months fuck you reserve money) and the confidence you can get any job you want or go on your own, no different from women they need to know you can walk out and have options... I am the same dude in forums, clubs, women, i can not turn it off or on like most people do...Dunno if good or bad, so far has worked for me...

Glover is not advocating for people to be jerks or assholes, he advocates boundaries...

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
That's a good example, thanks Skills. I need to work to develop similar abundance mentality.

I have been able to defend myself to my bosses. But one time, I was caught off-guard. So my defense was weak.

Good comeback to the director. I don't think I have the balls or money yet to do that, haha.

Yes, exactly, the key is setting boundaries, not to be a jerk. Like Glover said, the opposite of crazy is still crazy.

YS.

Modern Human
Modern Human
Being a nice guy and having social calibration are completely different things.

You can choose to be compliant to the social norms of your environment or feel compelled to. That's the difference.

The most "alpha" guys are often the most nicest, they'll greet everyone, say sweet nothings to people, etc. But they are doing conscious actions, not following their social programming.

I honestly think PU fucks up most people so that they can't ever maintain friend cycles or have long lasting relationships because they see everything from the "power" lenses. They try to dominate everyone and every environment and think it is some hot shit. No bro, you are not an alpha male or (nor you should ever try to be) in a corporate setting as a rookie. LOL. You should have enough self assurance/validation to NEVER ever even need that or try that.

That doesn't mean be a sucker or a push over but I hope enough people here can understand nuance. Leading is context specific. I can be a massive leader in soccer but when playing basketball I'm gonna be a follower. Me trying to force my leading in a field where I don't know shit is only going to cause problems (and me getting kicked out).

The problem with nice guys it the lack of empowerment or choice. That's their default and never first option.

An anectode:
I have this guy, classic PUA. Kinda good. Thinks he is much better than he really is but gets results.
Early 20's. Young. In school. Piss poor. Didn't do anything in his life outside of being able to talk to somewhat OK chicks.
Now I absolutely cannot bring this dude to any social gathering. AT ALL.
He always tries to one up everyone and tries to become a leader in every group.
Now image he did this shit when all the dudes are 30+, successful business owners and getting laid.
You are not supposed to be a leader of that group bro.
But I know 100% the guy will try to dominate the convo, cut threads, neg people, be much larger there than he really should be.
Thus he is never invited. :)
And thus if he ever was invited all of his relationships always dwindle extremely quickly.

You have to earn being a "leader." Especially in social environments.

We act like a leader because girls are attracted to leader but most of us are faking it. And that's cool. But you can choose to be a leader in relationships contexts but not in social circle contexts.

Look at Khabib, absolute alpha male. In every vid I've seen of him. Next to DC, humble as fuck. Next to his father, humble as fuck. That's what it should be.

Last edited:
>