Crash & Burn

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
In situations where you’ve lost credibility, scratch that, in situations where your credibility is meaningless and there is no way to construe whatever reality is being thrown at you.

You might be getting accused of cheating, doing something distasteful at work, or some other reputation sullying thing. You might be getting presented with an ultimatum.

In these situations where recovery seems impossible and it’s looking like you have no choice but to comply with whatever’s being forced onto you. There is always the last ditch effort or “crashing & burning” that can be used to turn things in your favor. It’s relatively simple, but it’s an all or nothing tactic, high risk high reward.

Like I said it’s very simple to do but it’s also pretty powerful. It takes a little bit of nerve and some social understanding to execute.

Let’s use the cheating as an example. You’ve been accused of cheating by your spouse, she’s asking, no demanding, to go through your phone and see your emails. All of your friends are around and it’ll look really bad on you to not give her your phone. (pretty bad example for the boards but i’m just trying to paint a picture for you guys)

You know for a fact that you’re guilty but allowing her to find out in this way will no doubt destroy your credibility because you’ve been cheating with a friends gf who’re both present!

So what do you do in this situation? Tell her its over. Leave from where you are. Super over the top dump her in front of everyone.

Accused of doing something at your job by a coworker out to get you? Now you’re being confronted by a superior? Suggest leaving or a transferral since “your presence is stirring the pot and even though you saw nothing wrong you don’t want to be effecting others negatively while being unaware”

You basically take whatever’s being thrown at you to the highest degree it can go. Taking control of the situation. Alot of times it’ll seem so over the top and unexpected people will usually back down. They’ll reassess the situation and withdraw because they never meant to have such a strong effect.

This isn’t meant to be used dangerously although I’m aware it can be. I for one don’t mind admitting to my mistakes and transgressions. But there are times when people force situations onto you in which you have to win because it’ll effect your future harshly; afterall you aren’t really having much of a say. This tactic gives you a little wiggle room to control the situation and achieve a favorable outcome, whatever that might be for you.

A small caveat is on the small off chance that people call your bluff, there is no backing out. You’d have to really leave your girl, or really quit your job, or really leave your social circle, etc etc. You have to go through with what you said otherwise you’ll be back at square one.

Hopefully this’ll give a little insight on dead end situations, in which you seemingly have nowhere to go. Maybe this’ll even open your eyes to when it is being used on you.

You kind of have to have an “all or nothing mentality” to stumble across this naturally so I doubt many of you have ever experienced this first hand.

I’ve always hated when people tried to hold some type of “power” over my head. It always felt condescending and disgusting. I kind of naturally had the inclination to be ready to drop everything i’d worked for in a dime if it meant i’d be getting oppressed or forced to do something in some way. So this technique was less of a bluff and more of a real thing I was doing. But nevertheless it always worked so i’m sure it could be used whether you share my feelings or not.

I hope you find use from this and are able to call someone’s bluff when it is being used on you.

Last edited:
>