Forums and Site Offline

Ken

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey, I tried to access the forums then the site earlier today, and they were offline. Did anybody else experience that? Then, a few hours later, I searched Girls Chase on Google, looked up Law Least Effort on the Girls Chase search, and suddenly the site and forums were back online. Chase, what happened?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Ken (and all)-

Apologies. We've been having some trouble with our new server.

Moved over in late December and everything's been great. No downtime, and the site's a lot faster.

However, site went down around 5 PM EST yesterday (the 9th), and was offline until our devs were able to fix it about midnight. They spent all day trying to find a cause but couldn't find anything.

Happened again today at about noon EST. We got the server rebooted, but again was offline about 7 hours.

Anyway, Anil will investigate again today and see if we can't figure out what's causing this. He'll also try to write a script for the server to auto-reboot it in case we get any other crashes like this again in the future.

I'll update this thread when we think we've solved it or with other updates.

Chase

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Edit: dev team has corrected its earlier diagnosis; what they thought were DoS attacks were in fact traffic spikes.

So apparently we were just getting more traffic than the server was ready for.

They've since switched around some server configurations, which should prevent this from happening again.

Just in case, we've also added a script to the server that should auto-reboot in the event of another server outage. So site should not go down, and if it does go down, should not go down for too long. That's the theory, anyway.

That said, we are continuing to get slammed by brute force attacks on the old server... Which remains the most sustained attack campaign we've seen. Protective measures continually shut those down, but the attackers are persistent.

Chase

>