How to Edge - get the Look

DrGuy_0

Rookie
Rookie
This is going to cover how to obtain the physical part of Edge - specifically the facial expression. We're going to go a little more in-depth than what's covered in the related, official post.

Relaxed Eyebrows. Too many people raise their eyebrows when talking with others. While this does raise your friendliness (gives you a friendly vibe)* in the short-term, I highly recommend you stop this gesture immediately because it overuses your frontalis muscles. This overuse damages the muscles in the forehead, producing scar tissue and chronically raised eyebrows. Actively relaxing your eyebrows lowers them [don't push them down into a frown] and when making eye contact during socializing, gives you a fearless look. This is edge. An example of this is Alex Kapranos in the band Franz Ferdinand. Search up a Youtube video and you can see his relaxed eyebrows when he sings into the camera, very attractive.

Next we move onto mouth breathing. If you find you begin breathing through your mouth when socializing, practice nose breathing deeply. First on your own when exercising, then translate this effect to talking with people. Breathing through your nose when making prolonged eye contact is sexy. Why? My theory is it shows how healthy your respiratory system is, and how comfortable you are talking to women (guys usually open their mouths when nervous chatting up girls).

Smile more, either on your own or around others. Not only will smiling make you feel better and relax you, the part we want is the slight upturning of the corner of your lips smiling a lot produces; a permanent slight smile. This speaks to a history of success, right on your face.

Eye Contact. Stare at your eyes in the mirror for a good 5 minutes, nose breathing all the while. Repeat every day. Your brain won't be able to tell the difference between your eyes and another's. This, over time, removes timidity from your gaze.

These four combined are what constitutes the general facial expression of edge. Feel free to play around with these variables and add your own. The more you do them the easier it will be. Don't feel that edgy yet? Don't worry, "the more you act like it, the more you feel like it" or however Chase says in his article. Don't want to be edgy? Feel free to ignore this, man.

*This friendly vibe is most likely offset by you if you simultaneously squint your eyes while raising the eyebrow. This combination produces more of a scared or nervous look.

TheHustler

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I've noticed this same thing (relaxing the eyebrows). As soon as I started doing this girls started hooking more consistently

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I think we can do lots of things to make micro adjustments, they just take time to ingrain unto yourself. I have really taught myself to be unfazed and move slowly and deliberately, with an easy smile like you said on your post. I notice how you can suck people into your world with good nonverbals. In a strange way they are starting to follow your lead and invest in you. Even guys who were in a higher situational position than me started to feel competition and compete with me, but I don't mind this. By using the law of least effort and good nonverbals I make them invest in me even more, making me a lot grander in their perception. In the end their body language or effort will give away this perception of theirs, creating even more pre-selection for me.

Also meditation helps a lot in tons of ways. One of the big ways is that you have a better idea on what is going on inside your head than others, making it possible for you to make micro adjustments.

Kaida

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Smile more, either on your own or around others. Not only will smiling make you feel better and relax you, the part we want is the slight upturning of the corner of your lips smiling a lot produces; a permanent slight smile. This speaks to a history of success, right on your face
How long does it take to get the upturned mouth while smiling continuously? When I was younger I had it but it went away as i got older and more stressed.

>