Problem Report  I think the site's searching engine needs some checking

Zanardi

Space Monkey
space monkey
One of the things I use at GC site is the search engine, which helps me find articles that I had read in the past and want to re-read now. However, looking for an article using the search engine is difficult and, sometimes, it can do more harm than good.

As an example, I wanted to read an article whose title is: "In an Age of Connectivity, Maintain Your Privacy". At first, I searched it by entering the title. The result that I got was this:

Of course, the article exists:

I think the searching system must be fixed. So far, only bookmarking in my browser helps me quickly find the article(s) I need.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Sorry about that, @Zanardi.

I've had issues finding articles as well.

Our lead developer, MD, is working on an upgraded search, using Elastic search.

It's much faster, it does auto-complete, and is extremely precise. Basically Google-tier search (or better... Google's not what it used to be).

I think this is largely ready and will probably roll out at / just after the same time we roll out the new theme.

Which is supposed to be any day now.

(it's been "any day now" since about October. But we're pretty close; all the back end stuff is built, the front end stuff is mostly there... just a few things to tidy up)

So, it's coming.

For now, when I need to find stuff on GC, I use a DuckDuckGo search with the "site:" search operator:
Code:
site:girlschase.com in an age of connectivity

(^ use that search and it's the top result)

And if that doesn't work (DDG doesn't have everything indexed), I go to DuckDuckGo and use the private Google search function:

Code:
!g site:girlschase.com in an age of connectivity

(^ again, top result)

This does the trick for now.

Once the new search is up that won't be necessary though.

Chase

>