Worker told supervisor I was late to work, instead of talking to me.

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I turned up late to work earlier this week. Today, the person in charge brought this up in front of the supervisor[supervisor was there for other reasons, but worker mentioned 15mins early is usual so do that, and other day you weren't even here at start time]. I thought this was not a good idea and confronted him about it at the end of day. I try remember summary may have mistakes missed bits but anyway:

The worker in charge reckoned well you were late. I mentioned its not the lateness, its the fact you mentioned it to the supervisor not to me. He says it was only because the supervisor was there this morning for other reasons.

I went back to my car and then thought no, that's still wrong. I went back to him and said no say it to me, not in front of the supervisor
and he arched up back I run this site and will run it how I see fit. If you don't want to be here tomorrow I can call the office. Also reckons doesn't want to deal with me coming over, twice, whinging.

Anyway then he went to the client and came back, and I was about to say call the office if you have a problem. Maybe he didnt hear me and asked what? and i said do you have a problem with me or do you not want me here tomorrow. He reckons no and we had a chat. I said im standing up for myself. He said no you're making an fuckwit of yourself.
Me: Why?
Him: Because nothing came of it. The supervisor today not the big boss[this supervisor is only a couple days a week supervisor otherwise he's a worker if I remember]. You wont get docked pay and there's alot worse things you can do get into trouble besides turning up late. Reckons I'm taking too personally or making a big deal or something like that. He pointed out that, he didn't call me a cunt for being late when supervisor, and also he doesn't have a problem with me like the guy from the other day. Reckons if he had a personal problem with him I'd know. And he asked, has he pulled me aside for anything?
Me: No.

Would you have thought this was overreaction or would done the same thing?

Last edited:

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
If I were in your situation, I would have just nodded in reply to his calling you out. I wouldn't have confronted him. Nor apologize. Just an "Will do." or "Ok" at the most.

If the supervisor didn't react strongly, then I wouldn't have either. It may be a problem to address if your tardiness is a trend to them.

Now if he did make an accusation against your work ethic or quality, then I would have respectfully asked for a separate private meeting to discuss. Assuming other coworkers are present here.

If the accusations are small but regular, meet aside. See if you can resolve at that level. If not, elevate, assuming the only other option is suspension/firing. Otherwise, leave it but keep an eye on it.

In general, for small irregular infractions, it's not worth fighting. Only in the above 2 cases I mentioned. And even then, it's critical to keep a strong BUT respectful/professional tone. Don't lose your cool. Make your case. Accept the wrongs but present what you do right as well.

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
when i deal with people and they cross boundaries like that i just put them in my "shit list" and totally hard next them.... I limit the interactions to work. by the way a good supervisor will know that dude is a piece of shit! sometimes shit like this backfires to that person... Don't let that shit consume you bro, don't drain your energy on that piece of shit!

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I turned up late to work earlier this week. Today, the person in charge brought this up in front of the supervisor[supervisor was there for other reasons, but worker mentioned 15mins early is usual so do that, and other day you weren't even here at start time]. I thought this was not a good idea and confronted him about it at the end of day. I try remember summary may have mistakes missed bits but anyway:

The worker in charge reckoned well you were late. I mentioned its not the lateness, its the fact you mentioned it to the supervisor not to me. He says it was only because the supervisor was there this morning for other reasons.

I went back to my car and then thought no, that's still wrong. I went back to him and said no say it to me, not in front of the supervisor
and he arched up back I run this site and will run it how I see fit. If you don't want to be here tomorrow I can call the office. Also reckons doesn't want to deal with me coming over, twice, whinging.

Anyway then he went to the client and came back, and I was about to say call the office if you have a problem. Maybe he didnt hear me and asked what? and i said do you have a problem with me or do you not want me here tomorrow. He reckons no and we had a chat. I said im standing up for myself. He said no you're making an fuckwit of yourself.
Me: Why?
Him: Because nothing came of it. The supervisor today not the big boss[this supervisor is only a couple days a week supervisor otherwise he's a worker if I remember]. You wont get docked pay and there's alot worse things you can do get into trouble besides turning up late. Reckons I'm taking too personally or making a big deal or something like that. He pointed out that, he didn't call me a cunt for being late when supervisor, and also he doesn't have a problem with me like the guy from the other day. Reckons if he had a personal problem with him I'd know. And he asked, has he pulled me aside for anything?
Me: No.

Would you have thought this was overreaction or would done the same thing?
I think you are blaming other people for your problems,the fact is you were late,you should work harder to not be late next time,I actually think that confronting someone afor saying you were late,is not only overeacting. I think it was also very unprofessional.
I think you were lucky to get away so scot free.

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
Rain,

How often are you late? because if I had a co-worker who would never come work on time and I had to take care of his shit. I’d be annoyed as well, so that’s something to consider

More importantly, don’t be late. There are already so many uncontrollables in life, you need to get a wrap on what you can control.

And as a manager, I can tell you from personal experience people who cannot get to work on time never go anywhere.

Lotus

Virgin101

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
This isn't written very well. I'm confused anyway. Usually the person in charge is the supervisor. What title does the person who is in charge have so? And who is higher? The person in charge, or the supervisor?

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
This isn't written very well. I'm confused anyway. Usually the person in charge is the supervisor. What title does the person who is in charge have so? And who is higher? The person in charge, or the supervisor?

I understand what you are saying,you are displeased because this co worker snitched on you,and yet it wasn't his job.I get that.
but look man,you have two options.
A: change him to stop being a snitch
B: simply stop coming late.

its usually just easier to change yourself rather than try to change the world,

also the problem with you trying to go with option A,is if the conflict escalates,who do you think the company will side with?
if you guys start fighting in the parking lot and it is revealed that the fight started because you came late and he reported it,he will look like a saint,and you will look like a villain.

perceptions and office politics aside,I think you are breaking the rules of reciprocity,the agreement is you get paid for showing up for a certain period of time,if the roles were reversed I am sure you would also not appreciate it if you paid someone for their time and they showed up late.

>