How Do I Find My Purpose?

Ken

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

It's been a while. I've stayed off the forum for a while. I haven't posted in months. I recently been busy in the PM's though, and I've been reading Girls Chase articles.

So yesterday, I was reading David Deida's "The Way of the Superior Man" at the mall and coupled with a few things that happened earlier that day made me realize something. I do not have a purpose in life. The entire pandemic I've spent directionless, especially recently, going through one moment to another with the exception of watching movies and reading books and writing.

So: how do I find my purpose in life?

Tony D

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
There isn't one purpose in life. You can find A purpose. That may be something that you're good at, that makes you feel good to do, and also pays your bills.

"I love playing video games!" This could be a good purpose. But I've found a purpose must in some way be related to other people. So if you provide entertainment to thousands by playing live on Twitch, then perhaps you've found a purpose. But... can you pay your bills?

That's been the struggle for me too. I like writing, I like helping people, I get paid alright and have a purpose. Does that mean it's my life's purpose? It is if I decide it is.

I could say I love making low budget dystopian sci fi short films. But how many films will I make if I have to work for $15 an hour, 40 hours a week at Walmart?

Here are my tips. Try many things. Especially if you're still in your twenties. Try new things. Try para gliding, long distance bike packing, knitting, pottery, Youtube...

Find something you enjoy, that has even the slightest possibility of paying your rent, and keep doing that until you're sick of it.

Tony D

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Tony D,

So how many purposes can you have in life?

How many trees can you plant? How many can you water? It depends on whether you want to do your purpose well.

If you went back just a few hundred years, a man's purpose would be to survive. Work the land, fight in the army, and not die. Unless you were a lord, then it would be to manage the land for your peasants, and drink fine Brandy while hunting foxes.

Having choice is a luxury. So don't use it wasting your days wondering what to do with your time. Just do.

topcat

Modern Human
Modern Human
@Ken

If you diligently think you need a purpose it will pop out to you as you live your life.

As Tony mentioned, try a bunch of different things. As you do this, take note of the things you enjoy doing, especially those you derive meaning from. These things hold clues to your purpose. Take note of the things that resonate with you and consciously try to understand what these are and why they hold significance. It's in there somewhere.

Chase mentions in his article that one means to find purpose is by looking at the things in the world you really dislike and would like to see change. I tried this, but I didn't find mine there. I found mine by reflecting on the things I love most in the world, the things I would like to see more of, the things I am most drawn to; the things I would like to open others eyes to. Yours might lie here too.

With regards to making money from your purpose.. Your purpose alone may not be financially viable, at least initially. But purpose can definitely ignite a motivation in you that leads you to find income sources that provide the time and space to pursue it.

good luck

Last edited:

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Just something I have been thinking of lately...

There is many people that say that follow your purpose/passion and money will come.
I think that's a limiting frame.

Your purpose doesn't have to be constructive.
As a man you hold the power to create and to destroy. You may either choose to build something virtous or tear down something that is corrupted.

Bear in mind, though, that in order for your purpose to get you money, it will need to be pro-social.

So you purpose should be yours... and wether it ends up in a business or something that gives you money, it is only a option and you should decide.

Velasco

Modern Human
Modern Human
Work is a means to funding the life you envision.

Want to live the player lifestyle ad infinitum (ex: live alone in a one bedroom apartment close to a good nightlife district)? Find out how much that's going to cost.

Want to have a wife, kids, and live in your own house? Find out how much that's going to cost.

Then choose a career (read this for help: https://waitbutwhy.com/2018/04/picking-career.html) that is gonna help make that vision a reality.

"Finding your life purpose" is a made up slogan by self help gurus so that you buy their books/programs etc.

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

It's been a while. I've stayed off the forum for a while. I haven't posted in months. I recently been busy in the PM's though, and I've been reading Girls Chase articles.

So yesterday, I was reading David Deida's "The Way of the Superior Man" at the mall and coupled with a few things that happened earlier that day made me realize something. I do not have a purpose in life. The entire pandemic I've spent directionless, especially recently, going through one moment to another with the exception of watching movies and reading books and writing.

So: how do I find my purpose in life?

Could you please post a TL;DR on David Deida's "The Way of the Superior Man" ?

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
People think you find your purpose.

I think you DECIDE your purpose.

What do you want to do?

Here's the tricky part, that desire might be clouded by other people's ideas of what you should do, hindered by your own doubts/fears, and unclear because you haven't yet taken your ideas seriously to get experience in them.

The way to get through that is learning how to deal with your baggage, your conditioning, and unplug from the matrix, so you can plug into your real life.

Meditation and mindfulness is a good start.

>