Wealth  Advice To New Leader?

mist

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
So I sorta got a job. Not my first by far, but it's the first time I'm officially getting a management/leadership position on cold hard paper.

Any tips, headsup, pointers appreciated as funny story...I'm unqualified af haha. Took a shot in the dark and used my people skills to get the position with no previous experience.

Tbf It's not prestigious (fast food), but still a leadership position :/

Your time is appreciated. Peace
- Mist

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
So I sorta got a job. Not my first by far, but it's the first time I'm officially getting a management/leadership position on cold hard paper.

Any tips, headsup, pointers appreciated as funny story...I'm unqualified af haha. Took a shot in the dark and used my people skills to get the position with no previous experience.

Tbf It's not prestigious (fast food), but still a leadership position :/

Your time is appreciated. Peace
- Mist
Anything specific you're looking for advice on? Clarifying your strengths and weaknesses is probably a good place to start.

mist

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Anything specific you're looking for advice on? Clarifying your strengths and weaknesses is probably a good place to start.

1. Gaining/maintaining respect

2. Dealing with being middle management and how to maneuver that

3. Learning the role and what you believe the role requires

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I have never been a manager myself, at least not in the “manager is in your job description” kind of way.
But I have directly and indirectly coordinated and leaded small teams of people several times in my life.

I can tell you what I think are the main points that separate a good manager for a crappy one:

1) Own your team mistakes
If one of your guys do a mistake, take responsibility for it. You either failed to train him, didn’t give clear advice or tolerated his mistakes.
Even if it’s not your fault, this is how you get their respect.

2) Be congruent
Nothings says “terrible boss” than asking underlings to do one thing and qualify them on another.
If you asked them to take care of X and then complain why they are not looking at Y, that’s bad management.

3) Manage expectations
Give your underlings clear paths to success, tell them how they are being qualified and be clear about what the company can and can’t do for them.
Many many bosses keep their employees on the company with flimsy promises of advancement that they cannot or will not fulfill.
A disappointed employee is terrible for morale.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
I've had a few managers and can provide what's inspired the most loyalty and morale in me as an employee.

• Make the employee feel heard. My current manager not only listens to me but also empathizes with issues I may have. I feel more secure to confide in him. I also go out of my way to give him inside info I wouldn't give otherwise because I trust him because he trusted me.
  • Show you've been where your employees are. Another thing that won points for me is my manager gives off the vibes that he's "one of us" (of course still the boss) and not just some tool that came into the position and started power tripping. He's been in the trenches so to speak.
  • Don't just say it, do it. Basically show your good intent as the leader and not just saying it to then have your actions betray you.

The above should be balanced with authority of course. You don't want to be a pushover bending constantly over for your employees. But boosting morale I think goes a long way.

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
It depends.

My advice seems pretty flimsy this days because I am no longer absolute on a long of things but there's 3 types of bosses, and I happened to be all 3 at different phases of time.

1)Respect but Not One of the Boys (this is not good)
2)Too Follower-y (this is not good)
3)"People think you're more arrogant than you actually are." - Female subordinate

Yea, so I'm now mostly number 3, and trying to merge all three.

z@c+

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Great answers here.

I think the best approach would be to follow some good basic principles and then ask a question if you run into some difficulty. For example, you ask about gaining respect, but respect can be lost in many ways, and each situation requires something different to get it back.

The best principles of leadership IMO are:

1. Lead by example. That doesn't mean doing someone's job for them, it means that if you want them to work hard, work harder yourself first before you bring up the issue. If you want them to follow rules, follow them yourself before you bring up the issue. Everything that you want to reinforce, show that you do it first. This will prevent almost all problems with authority.

2. Be consistent. Don't enforce something for one person and then not enforce it for another, regardless whether one person is being a jerk and the other is not. The goal (and this is the same as 1.) is to create a system where people know exactly what they should be doing, what will happen if they don't do it, and don't have any clear excuse for not doing it.

3. Don't be quick to make issues out of things, but don't stop moving forward toward a conclusion. Show restraint, make sure you didn't miss something, and be nice first (people are watching), but don't let something go that isn't resolved. Being under good leadership is a question of pressure that, when you're doing your job, propels you along and even motivates you, but when you try to stop, it gradually and consistently builds until you have to keep moving or get out.

4. Don't be too concerned with 'being a leader'. A busybody manager is not one that people generally enjoy working for. They want someone who is simply able to face problems, evaluate them, and give instructions that turn out well. Focus on that first, and you will get the respect of capable people with good character, who will also help you resolve problems (sometimes without you even knowing it).

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
In Mexico we have a saying: “Praise is public, criticism is private”.

Celebrate good results from your employees with all of them but feedback must always be giving in private.
No one likes to be chastised in public and resentment is a real problem in office.

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
-Don't hover/Scrutinize
-Don’t compare employees
-Don’t condescend
-Don’t be overly friendly/accommodating
-Don’t take yourself over serious

-Do acknowledge strengths
-Do show mutual respect
-Do have standards

I feel like it’s better to have charismatic authority instead of throwing your title around. Better to have people who want to follow you than trying to rule with an iron grip.

Last edited:

Beck Bass

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Also DON'T micromanage, dunno how fast food works that much, but in any field having a superior interrupting your work everytime is a fucking drag. Even if someone is doing something in a not so great way (aka fucking up lol), you gotta find the timing to talk to them, in the right way. Just make sure you're not correcting people all the time, think about minding sprezatura, minimal effort in managing, while maxing the results (of course this comes with experience, I imagine lol, not a leader at work myself, all I know is from my social groups and girls)

>