Any Tips on Job Searching More Effectively?

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
@Oh Pry

What about all the companies that hire based off your ability to produce actual results?

All the guys I know who killed it in digital marketing spent their time... Well marketing. And then produced results that made employers want to hire them not because they had 1,000 LinkedIn connections or some certificate but because they built a site from 0 to 100K visitors, or wrote/designed a landing page that increased sales by 300%, or built a social media as campaign that netted $1 million in sales.

Idk I'm not an expert specifically in getting a digital marketing career (though I have experience getting a nice corporate gig) so maybe your right but....

I'd bet you could land just as nice or nicer gig by being highly skilled to produce results and a little bit of networking.

All that LinkedIn stuff is like the equivalent of online game IME. High volume, low quality.

When I was in the market for a corporate job once upon a time Id get about 2 job offers a week either through my network or linkedin and I always turned them down because I could get a much nicer opp by attending a high end business event.

Idk maybe it's just different industries were, you say LI is super important for you, and that's cool... but LI + certs > results?

Idk kinda hard to believe that's the only or best way to succeed.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
@Mr.Rob

It's the good ole to get experience, you need experience debate right. So yeah, if you have results, companies will happily hire you but someone needs to allow you to produce them results first.

You are right here, if you had those crazy results, someone would be a fool not to hire you and quite frankly, there are ways to be innovative about this. The thing is, if you had those results, you'd be swimming in so many offers you wouldn't even need to ask for advice. To get to that level, you kind of need to break in a bit. So the connections and certs allow someone to take a chance on you to produce those level of results for them.

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
@Oh Pry

Ah I see what you're saying, for entry level guys with no experience that need to get into a position where they can prove themselves this is a good path from what you hear.

Yeah ok I can see that then.

Thing is you can manufacture ways to get marketing experience/results on your own by starting your own projects.

But just like most guys won't go out and do colds approach pickup most entry level marketers won't go start a 6 month marketing project that might fail epicly so in that sense the certs and connections may pay off.

Many roads to Rome it seems.

YS.

Modern Human
Modern Human
Offer to work for free until you prove yourself.

Make sure you are providing value to the company. Think "what do they need" and "how can I help".

Overpromise and overdeliver.

Then ask your due.

You're sitting on your ass anyway. :)

----

I'm too bored at the quarantine edit:

I think you guys are looking at this all wrong. You can out-frame this issue by being really valuable. Not how to find a job where in-fact you provide zero value. (LinkedIn stuff or networking, both of which are cool but they are solving the symptoms not the problem.)

Nobody would not hire you if you bring them 10k$ worth of value and taking in 3-4k$.

There are 3 reasons where you are not hired.
1) You take in more value than you provide to the company. (Get better skills. Ask for less money. Overdeliver and overwork above your skillset. Provide value in other ways than your actual skillset.)
2) You are extremely expendable and easily replaced. Competing with a lot of people and usually for the positions easily filled up. (Get better, more unique skills. Get an advantage; either work for free or overwork or make social connection.)
3) You can't communicate your value. (Well... This is almost impossible imo but potentially it could happen. Practice your sales pitch, your skills and what you could do to help the company. Think about what job are they looking for, what they need from that job. After that, think how could you solve those problems. And then OVERPROMISE and then OVERDELIVER. This stuff is very hard to have a problem with if you actually solve a problem they have. Just say I solve this problem for you in a value efficient way lol.)

For example I hired a secretary 2 years ago. I just wanted someone to cold call for me and take my bs calls for a few months. She not only excelled at the job but turned out to be a quite good sales person. Impressed me a lot socially and became kind of a friend. She is now irreplaceable. She was very replaceable but she went above and beyond at her job. Took time out of her bs life to connect with me and listen to my bs problems so we created a social bond (much harder to dissolve than business bonds) and earned me a lot of money.

She went after it, worked overtime and did whatever I wanted you feel me. And I didn't pay for her for 2 weeks. She offered to trial for free. I spent quite a bit of money on her in those 2 years because of her initial hustle.

Overpromise and overdeliver.

Make sure the company has no collateral to a chance on you. Work for free. Then make the best out of it.

Last edited:
>