Are dates with absolutely no talking normal?

FunGuy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I just got home from a date and am just wondering if I am the only one who sees this happening all the time. In most of the dates I been on, when I look around there is always at least 1 or 2 couples where they are just sitting down and not talking to each other. Instead they are looking at their phones and barely saying a word to one another. In some cases I get eye fucked by the girl and she's not making any effort to be discrete about it but the guy seems to be oblivious to what she's doing.

Its hard to piece together the context whether they are on a 1st date or are they actually a couple. Am I the only one who sees this happening all the time or has anyone else noticed this too? This makes me feel bad for women if this is a normal experience for them...

FunGuy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
It happens to me but I still don’t get your whole point
When you say it happens to you, do you mean that you go on dates and don't talk? Its unclear whether your saying that you observe that behavior from others or if you actually go on dates where there is zero talking.

And I made this thread out of curiosity to see if this is a common occurrence or if I am the only oddball who notices weird stuff like that.

PureGold

Space Monkey
space monkey
When you say it happens to you, do you mean that you go on dates and don't talk? Its unclear whether your saying that you observe that behavior from others or if you actually go on dates where there is zero talking.

And I made this thread out of curiosity to see if this is a common occurrence or if I am the only oddball who notices weird stuff like that.
Oh I misunderstood. Now I get it. About that I would say silence is one of the best way to create sexual tension…

Derek da man

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
when I look around there is always at least 1 or 2 couples where they are just sitting down and not talking to each other. Instead they are looking at their phones and barely saying a word to one another.
I've been noticing this a lot for the last 4-5 years although I usually see it in restaurants and places serving food more than bars although it does happen there. I tend read the body language of those involved and they appear to be long term couples that have run out of things to say, probably as they live together or spend a lot of time together. I don't see this so much as a date, it's more of an evening out as a couple.

Personally I rarely have my phone out when out socializing with people in the real wold as it detracts from conversation and, in my view, is almost rude to the person you're talking to. I may use my phone to show them a picture or make a note/phone number or the like, but that's it.

In my view you should be engaged in conversation on a date, not sat in silence.
About that I would say silence is one of the best way to create sexual tension…
...agree but not silent for longish periods, long enough to hold the tension and let her enjoy it. This would be different as there would be eye contact and probably touch, you definitely wouldn't be looking at your phone.

Just my view though, I'm sure others will differ :unsure:

>