Caffeine and Erectile Dysfunction

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I was looking into how coffee effected female arousal since I met this girl who’s into coffee and was trying to think of a meetup. But I ended up coming across this interesting study from 2001-2004 and getting mired in it’s effect on male libido. Haven’t seen this talked about before so I decided to share, pretty interesting stuff.

Role of Caffeine Intake on Erectile Dysfunction in US Men

They concluded: in general we found a reduced likelihood to report ED among men with caffeine intake, especially with 2–3 daily cups of coffee, which is approximately 170–375 mg/day. Interestingly, we found differences in the inverse associations of caffeine intake and caffeinated beverages among overweight/obese, non-diabetic and hypertensive men.

I found this really interesting, i’m not sure how extensively this topic has been researched…but it might be something you’d wanna look into if you suffer from something like ED.

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Perhaps coffee increases blood pressure or something…

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
One would expect that coffee intake should worsen erectile dysfunction since caffeine increases BP, but it points to the opposite.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I tend to think chocolate is good for this.

I've never had trouble with erections, my sex sessions are pretty much always at least 40 minutes long (not including foreplay), and I can still go multiple times per day at almost 40. I've had chocolate almost every single day as a dessert and have wondered if this was part of why.

When I went off sugary desserts for about four months, I didn't have erection issues, but I did notice my sex drive reduced. It bounced back again once I went off this diet and started eating chocolate again.

Sugar's supposed to lower your sex drive, so it wasn't the lack of sugar. My theory was it was the lack of caffeine + cocoa.

There's an article on dark chocolate improving men's erections here:

Chris Iliades said:
A recent study in the journal Circulation found that flavonoids in dark chocolate improve circulation. That could be good for erection problems that are due to poor circulation. Flavonoids are naturally-occurring antioxidants that protect plants from toxins and help repair cell damage. Studies show that flavonoids and other antioxidants have similar effects on people. They may help lower blood pressure and decrease cholesterol, both of which are factors that contribute to erectile dysfunction.

A related study:

study results said:
[A] higher intake of flavanones, anthocyanins, and flavones was significantly associated with a reduction in risk of ED only in men <70 y old and not older men... [H]igher total intake of fruit, a major source of anthocyanins and flavanones, was associated with a 14% reduction in risk of ED

Definitely seems like if you combine caffeine and cocoa you have a pretty good combination.

edit: replaced broken links & added quotes

Last edited:

Kvothe

Modern Human
Modern Human

I've never had trouble with erections, my sex sessions are pretty much always at least 40 minutes long (not including foreplay), and I can still go multiple times per day at almost 40. I've had chocolate almost every single day as a dessert and have wondered if this was part of why.

When I went off sugary desserts for about four months, I didn't have erection issues, but I did notice my sex drive reduced. It bounced back again once I went off this diet and started eating chocolate again.

Sugar's supposed to lower your sex drive, so it wasn't the lack of sugar. My theory was it was the lack of caffeine + cocoa.

Definitely seems like if you combine caffeine and cocoa you have a pretty good combination.

These days you can find 100% dark chocolate in stores-keto friendly. Stone ground chocolate is also fantastic, taza is my go to brand for that. I love chocolate :)

I'd still take ~80% just because I enjoy the taste slightly more, and I don't eat too much sugar anyway.

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

I used to infuse coca beans back in Copenhagen as my state drink. Seems like the Aztecs used it similarly.

Eat a chunk of cocoa beans and enjoy the trip - it is really potent stuff....

BTW....

Last edited:

Kvothe

Modern Human
Modern Human
Looked into cacao powders-seems like the only potential issue is high levels of Cadmium. Mamamuti seems a good brand for avoiding excessively high levels, but if anyone knows a good brand with non-alkalized, raw cacao with low levels of cadmium, I'd definitely love to know.

>