Changes to "Chat" and "Advanced"

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Hey gents,

A few updates to how we're managing permissions on Chat and Advanced.

Right now:

• Brand new members ("Rookies") cannot view Chat, but can view Advanced (though cannot participate in any way)

• Rank 1 members ("Space Monkeys") can view and participate in Chat until the next rank update (since we haven't done ranks in some time, we have a bunch of Space Monkeys who shouldn't be Space Monkeys, and I don't want to bar those guys from Chat. After the update though, there will be no more Space Monkeying around on Chat. New members will have to wait until they're Rank 2 to access chat)

• Rank 2 members ("Tool-Bearing Hominid") have the ability to respond in chat, whisper, and start private conversations. They're also able to react to threads in Advanced, post replies, and vote in polls, but they can't yet create their own Advanced threads.

• Rank 3 members ("Cro-Magnon Man") have the ability to create rooms in Chat, and start new threads in Advanced

• Rank 4 and Rank 5 members each get some additional privileges in Chat, which they will discover when they hit those ranks

WHY ISN'T IT A FREE-FOR-ALL?

Re: Advanced, beginners have access to the Beginners board, General, T/T, etc. Advanced is where we want experienced, skilled guys sharing their insights. Once a guy's reached Rank 2 (and we're sure he's a little capable, or a promising up-and-comer), he can respond and react on Advanced. And once he's Rank 3 (and we're confident he's fairly skilled), he can start his own threads there.

Re: Chat, chat's fine right now because the Boards have been fairly quiet. However, as things pick up, I expect us to get a lot more new guy traffic too. And we want newer guys posting questions about girls they have crushes on or beginner problems on the Beginner board, or in General. We want to avoid any scenarios where Chat gets too many first-time members looking for quick help with a special girl they know, then logging out and never logging back in.

That's the thinking.

I'm open to discussion if anyone thinks this is too heavy-handed.

STILL UNDECIDED:

Should we limit Rookies (guys with under 10 posts) to exclusively posting in Beginners (and maybe Field Reports)?

I see pros and cons to this.

Pro is that we'd avoid the situation where a guy logs in and puts his first post about the girl he's yearning for in the Field Reports board or in Relationships (when he isn't actually in a relationship with her yet) and so on.

Con is that we get some guys who are not really beginners, but who only very occasionally participate here. A guy might be relatively "normal-level" with girls (gets dates, takes girlfriends, isn't completely struggling with women) but isn't really a forum guy. Restricting this guy to Beginners when he occasionally logs in to ask questions or share an experience just because he isn't over 10 posts yet seems a little much.

Anyway, open to discussion here.

I'm leaning toward keeping the boards open to Rookies posting anywhere, just so we aren't funneling the "occasionally drops by" non-beginner-level guys exclusively onto the Beginners board.

Chase

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Should we limit Rookies (guys with under 10 posts) to exclusively posting in Beginners (and maybe Field Reports)?

Beginners must of course from the beginning learn to write reports and comment on other reports to learn from them.

I think this is a must. They therefore need access to the field reports forum.

I have no problems having them being allowed to post in general and to comment in T/T.

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human

Yeah I see the merits to each way of thinking here.

I kind of lean toward keeping all the boards (except the advanced right?) open to everyone. I know if I just stumbled across GC/SS and was forced to do X number of posts in the beginner forum where guys are talking about one-itus crushes and how to get over AA I might just jump ship before I get to the threshold or whatever.

Might lose guys that would've made good members but didn't like the ego hit or didn't want to meet the post minimum.

Btw the new forums are exquisite. Nice job, this place is going to be epic once more ppl start joining the convo. Pumped.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I could see barring newcomers from posting in Advanced (and Tactics & Techniques, actually), but other than that, I think they should have free reign to post elsewhere.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,

Franco

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@Teevster & @Franco, good point to restricting them to commenting-only (not starting new threads) in T/T. I will set that up right now. Only Rank 2 (Tool-Bearing Hominid) and up guys will be able to start new threads in T/T -- but everybody reply to posts there.

@Mr.Rob, that's an excellent point, stumbling into a forum and finding everywhere locked up except Beginners -- not very friendly.

All right, we'll keep it mostly open. Advanced restricted to beginners; T/T, beginners can interact there, just not start new threads until they've leveled up a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. This helps a lot.

Chase

>