FR  Date with Failed Escalation

determined

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

I have a recurring problem where even though I almost always open direct, my interactions end up feeling platonic. Here's an example:

Met this girl Thursday night while driving to my friend's place. She was running on the sidewalk, so I pulled over and scheduled a date. Flawless, and I didn't even have to exit the car.

Unfortunately, logistics were awful. I picked a Starbucks that's 2 blocks from my house, but on this Sunday afternoon my whole family was home and planned dinner together. I really can't know ahead of time when my family will be gone, though, so I have no choice but to guess (finally found an apartment in San Francisco, so I'll be moving out soon).

Texted her soon after:
me: Hey Elizabeth, this is E... save my number and see you Sunday. -E :)
her: Hey sounds good
-next day-
me: You text came in at 1234 last night - is that when you got home? Hope you didn't run all the way to Santa Cruz again! :p
her: Yeah i went on a longer run haha no only 20 miles i prob wont run to santa cruz for a while.
me: Only 20 miles, sounds like child's play.
her: Yeah
-Sunday-
me 12:53: Hey Elizabeth, we still on for 5? First one there can grab a seat.
her 1507: Sure i might be a little late cause i ended up having to work today
me 1515: Sounds good.
her 1648: Hey there's a starbucks on california ave that im near. Want to meet there instead?
me 1650: Sure see you there. (Why not, we're not going back to my place anyways)

I made sure to be late since she said she would be, and she was waiting for me when I arrived. Came up behind her, light touch on the shoulder, "Have you been waiting long?" We went inside and ordered, chatting meanwhile, then she asked if I wanted to sit inside or outside. I replied, "Outside for sure. And I know you're an outside type of girl." We sat next to each other at a square table. She agreed that ouside was so much better and she wouldn't like to stay indoors, so I teased her about giving me the choice even though she hated one of the options. Then I pretended to change my mind, saying that on second thought we should sit inside, and she said no, so I laughed that it's not ok for her to give me the option then take it away. She said she would've sat inside if I had made that choice earlier, but now it's too late.

Not it was time for real talk. I had deep dived a bit as we entered the shop to order, and now resumed that thread. This girl was CHATTY. When I first met her on Thursday she seemed a bit weird, and now it was confirmed - definitely not socially calibrated. She spends all her free time running, like whole days at a time, and she knows how to chat up a stranger, but doesn't make any real friends. Is alone much of the time and doesn't understand how eccentric she comes off. She's a nice person, just air-headed and a little off, like she simply doesn't get it. Anyways, she talked about herself the whole time, sometimes saying things that were a bit quirky. I listened, though, and gave no indication that she was anything but normal. She did ask a few questions about me, but for the most part just talked and talked. I barely even had to ask questions. The heaviness/pace of the conversation was good, alternating between her sharing with me and light banter. Excellent eye contact, and touched her leg a few times, but the interaction still felt platonic, which is something I'm struggling with. How do I create more tension?

I screened for her logistics early on - her place wasn't an option, so I went to my last resort. When she finished her drink I asked if she'd ever been to the trail I like to walk where I usually pick up girls. She said yes, so I said we should go there and watch the view from a hill. She was hesitant, but I got a yes and a smile in the end. Of course the whole drive there she's jabbering on.

We climbed this hill, which is off the trail and off limits. She asked if it was allowed, and I said that it wasn't, but it'll be ok. "I climb it all the time and take full responsibility. Besides, we can't always follow the rules." At the top I sat down in the shade, but she wanted the sun so she stayed standing father away from me than I would've liked.

me: Are you enjoying the view?
me: Are you glad we climbed up here then?
me: Do you want to sit down?

She sat down, but she was still too far from me. I took the opportunity to scoot near her when pointing something out in the distance. I kept waiting for a good moment to kiss her when we'd be staring at each other in silence, but it didn't come. She would only make eye contact while speaking, then would be content to look at the view.

After maybe 10 minutes on the hill she said that she should probably get going, so I lifted up her chin and went for it.

her: No.
me: Why not?
her: Because I barely know you.
me: So?
her: So I'm leaving in two weeks [to Kansas for school] and I don't want to kiss you.
I did my thing, maintaining eye contact with a little smile.
her: And puppy eyes won't work on me.
me: Really?
her: I'm immune to them.

I leaned back and she returned to looking at the view even though I continued staring at her. Then she said she should get going and rose.

her: Are you going to stay here?
me: I'm coming. My reason for being here is gone.

She laughed and we walked back down. I was less engaged now as I'd lost some of my interest in deep diving her, but she continued to talk. Near my car she gave me a hug then said she'd be happy to meet up again. She's "usually busy during the week, but maybe next weekend." And she'd be glad to have coffee again any time. I said, "Yeah. Bye, Elizabeth," with a smile and drove off.

Probably should've persisted more, but it didn't feel right. The tension just wasn't there. I think I'll get my family out of the house one day next weekend and invite her over to cook a meal. If she won't meet me at my place then I'm not interested.

So, what do you guys think? Why do my interactions feel so platonic?

stratvm

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
determined said:
Hey guys,

So, what do you guys think? Why do my interactions feel so platonic?

if she is hot & experienced then probably because - just like me - you come across as austin powers instead of like george clooney. i do have a feeling that all of our failed attempts get down to this simple fact with high quality girls. lack of proper vibe.

with average or below average it can be that they are lame and you think it doesnt worth investing anything other than the basic minimum.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Determind-

Good tenacity trying to make this happen despite the poor logistics. With outdoor logistics, it's usually not better to go here until it's fairly on... quite hard to build a strongly sexual vibe while outdoors, plus the girl knows what the deal is and will be on her guard if she doesn't already want it.

Even still... good show on trying, and that's the only way you get a good feel for what works and what doesn't.

determined said:
The heaviness/pace of the conversation was good, alternating between her sharing with me and light banter. Excellent eye contact, and touched her leg a few times, but the interaction still felt platonic, which is something I'm struggling with. How do I create more tension?

It doesn't sound like she views you as an authority figure from what I'm reading. Hanging back, talking slower, using more pauses, and making more use of seeming a little bored / a little aloof can work to get her chasing more and trying to capture your attention.

On building sexual tension in general, your focus probably needs to be on some combination of voice, facial expressions, not smiling too much, and upping general tension. See these articles for refreshers:

determined said:
We climbed this hill, which is off the trail and off limits. She asked if it was allowed, and I said that it wasn't, but it'll be ok. "I climb it all the time and take full responsibility. Besides, we can't always follow the rules." At the top I sat down in the shade, but she wanted the sun so she stayed standing father away from me than I would've liked.

me: Are you enjoying the view?
me: Are you glad we climbed up here then?
me: Do you want to sit down?

She sat down, but she was still too far from me. I took the opportunity to scoot near her when pointing something out in the distance. I kept waiting for a good moment to kiss her when we'd be staring at each other in silence, but it didn't come. She would only make eye contact while speaking, then would be content to look at the view.

She's clearly uncomfortable here. I find in these kinds of situations - where there's some, "Whoa, I hardly know this guy, and we're out in the middle of nowhere," concern, the better option is to not ask her to sit down, but to instead launch into some really deep, intimate conversation, even as she stands really far away. As the conversation gets deeper and deeper, she will generally give you more of her attention, and then come to get much closer to you physically - it's too awkward standing far away with this person she's having a deep conversation with, and she feels like the awkward one, while you sit there calmly, really relaxed.

It's still very difficult to escalate this way though - if she wasn't feeling it before you got there, it's very hard to make something of it once you're there and she's "stuck" with you.

My preference in these situations, actually, is to genuinely just be really chill with the girl, and then at some point end them myself: "Well, how about we head back." Once you're in the car, wait for her to calm down and get comfortable again - "Ah, crisis averted! I thought he was going to make me feel awkward, but he didn't!" - and then say, "It's a little too early to call it a night - what say we have a nightcap, then call it a night?" Then take her home. This can sometimes lead to a nice turnaround from the earlier awkwardness, because she still has some of the adrenaline from being outdoors, but now she's more comfortable with you.

Usually it's best just avoiding the "totally secluded place away from civilization" when she isn't chomping at the bit to get your pants off yet, though.

determined said:
She laughed and we walked back down. I was less engaged now as I'd lost some of my interest in deep diving her, but she continued to talk. Near my car she gave me a hug then said she'd be happy to meet up again. She's "usually busy during the week, but maybe next weekend." And she'd be glad to have coffee again any time. I said, "Yeah. Bye, Elizabeth," with a smile and drove off.

Probably should've persisted more, but it didn't feel right. The tension just wasn't there. I think I'll get my family out of the house one day next weekend and invite her over to cook a meal. If she won't meet me at my place then I'm not interested.

Nope - you were good to let it go there. She was in control and calling the shots, and the shot she called was that she wasn't feeling it and it wasn't going anywhere. You gave it some good effort and went for the kiss despite a probably rejection - if it's washed up and not going anywhere, it makes sense to take a little stab and see what happens. Usually it goes how you think, but occasionally you'll be very surprised.

Main takeaways here I'd say are work on generating more authority, having a stronger sexual vibe, and wait to take girls to uber secluded escalation spots until they're clearly sold on intimacy with you, because those kinds of spots are very polarizing (incredibly exciting if she knows she wants sex with you, but very jitters-inspiring if she isn't sure yet).

Chase

determined

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Thanks, Chase. Just saw your feedback and it's spot on.

>