Difference between "friends with benefits" and "exclusive relationship?"

The Byronic Man

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
The more I think about it, the less clear the difference. I've heard people say that partners in exclusive relationships are friends as well. If that's true, what separates FWBs from GFs? I don't want my FWB to start looking at me as a BF.

Is it possible to start a list of what-to-do and what-not-to-do (e.g. holding hands in public, kissing goodbye)? However, my gut tells me it's different between FWBs.

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
B man,

The Byronic Man said:
I've heard people say that partners in exclusive relationships are friends as well. If that's true, what separates FWBs from GFs? I don't want my FWB to start looking at me as a BF.

Friends with benefits are women whom you and her both agree to be sexual without commitment.

The reason why people say exclusive relatioships are friends as well is because of

1) Intense chemistry (First few months or first two or three years)
2) People who are alike of one another (sometimes you see a couple who are practically similar) (Chase article on 4 types of Women)

I think we should change the question, We should ask ourselves why "Friends with Benefits" doesn't work well long term. But let's hear what others say. :) I am sure they have their take.

Zac

Ryan

Space Monkey
space monkey
I think they are focused on different aspects of providing pleasure to the other partner. A FWB relationship is primarily to share a sexual connection but anything but is out of the picture as it creates an uncomfortable situation.

In an exclusive relationship, the reason for the relationship is primarily to share the experience of love to the other person, even if that means you cannot be satisfied sexually. For example, if you are in an exclusive relationship, it would be considered your duty to look after your girlfriend if she falls ill, even when her illness means you can no longer have sex. In a FWB situation, visiting her wouldn't be something you'll do out of duty, but something you'll do out of niceness.

In summary, a relationship has more obligations you'll have to fulfill to keep the relationship going, whereas a FWB has only one (to sexually satisfy the other). However, a FWB has more lines you cannot cross without feelings becoming involved, whereas in a relationship you can do much more things together, hence allowing you to see and know your partner more intimately.

Hope this helps

>