Examples on how YOU can practically apply sprezzatura

Kaida

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Im sure you guys are familiar with the Law of Least Effort and Sprezzatura. Both of these emphasize the importance of expending seemingly low amounts of effort for your great results.

Here, lets share practical and simple applications of this law that YOU can use in your everyday life to appear more cool, effortless, and socially powerful.

Here are some of mine:

• Leaning back in the chair comfortably when talking or listening (works great in group situations)

• When someone asks you to repeat yourself, wait a couple seconds (about 3) to check if they really didnt hear you, or were simply processing it. Usually soon people will reply as if they heard you the first time.

• Talk in a relaxed, but clear and firm voice (Tips on how to do this would be helpful! Its not as easy as it sounds, i can only do it sometimes.)

@Chase

Last edited:

Spyce D

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Do not talk about your hard work in public ( or within social circle )

Downplay your achievements by telling it's due to divine entity or luck or whatever .

Atleast this is the stuff that I do in daily life .

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Don’t be perfectly put with your clothes.
Wear your hair or your beard slightly unkempt, don’t button all your buttons.

It is an art, it must look as if you couldn’t be bothered… not as if you don’t understand “correct looks”.

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Communicate using only body language whenever possible.

Throw things into the garbage bin instead of walking to it.

Have waiters and service people do things for you (example - ask the waiter in a restaurant if they can cook a simple dish that is not in the menu)

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Let other people brag, then pass judgment on their bragging.

GUY: I blah blah blah (list of his big achievements).​
YOU: That's really impressive, dude. You've done a lot. I admire that.​

Be sincere about it. Don't do it in a tooling way. Actually mean it.

The guy will like you, because you are smart enough to realize how awesome he is. At the same time, he will be thirsty for more of your approval.

He will not totally understand why, because he is the one with all the achievements, and he may not even know much about you, but suddenly he will find himself seeking your approval more and more. Everyone else will regard you as the higher status guy too.

I have known guys who were so good at this that they had basically no (ordinary) achievements of their own, but they were surrounded with various high value, high achieving people who were constantly deferring to them for approval, meanwhile the alpha guy is just a really good, confident, dominant guy, who cheerfully praises and gives out esteem to other people for their various accomplishments, meanwhile declining any praise people try to throw his way with humbleness.

I knew a kid like this in high school... he wasn't top of the class, wasn't an athlete, wasn't anything remarkable in an ordinary sense, but he was THE most popular kid in school. All the cool kids revolved around him. He wasn't especially good-looking, I don't think (he had a big nose). His voice was kind of high and he didn't work out (skinny). But he was a REALLY good guy, decent sense of humor, and he was so positive and just really loved people and was so good at recognizing exactly what you were good at and praising you for it. I was this aloof kid who everybody treated as this outsider weird/cool guy... well, that other kid was the only one in high school that made me feel like I really wanted his approval, and he did it by just every so often commenting on something I did and telling me how cool that was or how much he admired that I did X or how impressive it was I was able to Y or how he noticed I was really good at Z.

I had a buddy like this in college. Constantly around high status people, rich people, successful people, good-looking girls, and he is very, very good at recognizing people's strengths and, maybe more importantly, what they WANT people to view as their strengths, and offering them sincere praise on those. He also recognizes people's weaknesses but he keeps that to himself unless you're close with him. The dude cuts through bullshit like a hot knife through butter.

I had a girlfriend like this too.

I always have to remind myself to be less stingy with praise. It's such a mighty social super power. If you can train yourself to comment on things people are good at and give them sincere praise for it, you can get a lot of people liking you very quickly, and you don't even really have to do much of anything -- other than be a guy who allows other people to feel recognized for what they want to feel recognized for.

Aside from that, it simply positions you at the top of the hierarchy. As a wise man once told me, "Alphas judge." i.e., the guy who is the alpha male of the group passes judgment on things and approves of them (or not).

Thus why people chase approval from the guy who shows them he is capable of passing out approval on things.

(obviously, must be calibrated... approve/pass judgment more low-key when you are lower status. Once you're high status you can really build a guy up by talking him up, really highlighting his good points, etc.)

Chase

ElChe

Space Monkey
space monkey
recognizing people's strengths and, maybe more importantly, what they WANT people to view as their strengths, and offering them sincere praise on those.
I just wanna say that when you actually really love people, doing this is so much easier.

I once went through a low point where I was bitter/depressed for a couple months... and I remember there was one day where I told myself "maybe the secret to life is love. Can I just start loving everything and everybody?".

The next day all my social interactions were silky smooth. People wouldn't stop talking to me and telling me about themselves (even though I felt like I wasn't doing anything different). I also remember giving my friend an "indirect" compliment and I could tell he really enjoyed it. I thought it was so weird that just trying to love everybody more did that lol.

I've found, through studying other skills (ones that I participate in, and ones that I just observe) that enjoyment/love is one of the most powerful things for success.

>