Fashion  Fashion Fundmentals

DanG

Rookie
Rookie
Hey, this is something that's really on my mind right now!

I went to a pua bootcamp at the beginning of this year and part of that was a fashion critique. Basically I was told I looked like a cross between a hippy, a scarecrow and Kurt Cobain... Harsh but probably fair (though I didn't mind the Cobain so much).

The fashion advice they gave out was fairly simple and to the point. Wear the smallest size that fits. Wear muted colours (more masculine) and splash out on shoes if you're gonna spend big on anything.

A lot of the 'trainers' at this bootcamp had kind of unspoken agreement on what looked like a 'pick-up' uniform to me. It basically consisted of skinny dark blue jeans, Teb Baker black leather shoes, black V-necked t-shirt and some kind of necklace.

I think there are definitely elements of that uniform that create an edgy/sexy look but I'm not too keen on adhering to a strict system like that - it's too much like a recipe and I'd rather have the confidence and the know-how to improvise.

Personally I would like to develop my own style. Something that comes out of a genuine understanding and maybe even a love for fashion (neither of which I possess right now).

I am lucky to have a couple of fashion savvy male friends. One of which sent me this link sometime ago which is a really good starting point for what I was after and might be of interest to other forums users - http://www.fashionbeans.com/2009/mens-fashion-basics-part-1-good-fit/

One of these blog posts introduces the concept of layering t-shirts which I particularly liked the idea of. I sometimes wear a dark blue or black v-neck over the top of a sky blue or green crew neck - what you get then is a little triangle of colour around your neck that stands out from the muted colours of the rest of the outfit - similar I guess to the effect of wearing a brightly coloured tie but less formal.

I also like that early on the author recommends getting a blazer (basically a suit jacket) as a fairly high priority purchase. They're designed to flatter the male form. Also, they can keep you warm when you walk into town and it doesn't matter if the bar/club doesn't have a coat check because you still look cool wearing it indoors. Also you can dress-down a blazer pretty easily by rolling the sleeves up Miami Vice style - hehehe

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts as I'm trying to get my head around this part of being a 'sexy man'. I would love to hear what other guys are doing and get some inspiration

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Hey Fox,

A scarf is one that you can add to a number of different outfits (depending on the color and design of the scarf), and use in a variety of different ways to add flavor and panache. Women notice your scarf and comment on it a lot, and it stands out - a lot of men are too insecure to wear one (they think it makes them look gay).

Typically, you'll only see really effeminate men and really confident, masculine men wearing scarves, so a woman tends to assume you're either one or the other when she sees you sporting one.

Cheers,
Chase

nino

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
For me it's all about combining. I make sure the colors match and I like to play around with different shades. I try to stay within a certain style, although I will also mix it up a little, as long as it all fits together. I'm pretty bitchy about my dress code quite honestly, I even make sure that my shoe laces look perfect and will spend an hour to see how my pants complete my shoes. And I keep checking when going somewhere. Maybe a little obsessive but it makes me feel confident.

Anyway, back to topic. I don't necessarily have a go-to accessory, only a favorite shirt I wear almost every time when I go clubbing. It fits me and my body just perfectly, I like the color and talking about combining, I can wear a lot of different t-shirts under it to change my outfit quite noticeably. Goes well with any kind of jeans and some high quality shoes.

Jackyyy

Rookie
Rookie
My brogues. I love them, they look great and make a satisfying sound when I walk.

Your fashion fundamentals depends on who you are. You should always clothe in your personality. I consider myself fairly serious, so I dress in conservative colours - navy, grey even black is quite good. I stay away from accessories like scarves because I like to stay simple; but as Chase said if you're confident with your masculinity you can pull it off and look quite sharp.

Thinkingenigma

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I generally stick to blacks and greys with a good pair of jeans for my base colors then build off of that. During the summer, I sport a plain black T-shirt or graphic tee and jeans with a necklace (one that has symbolic value for myself) and a leather cuff. During the winter I tend to play more with colors, specifically red and blue (I have very blue eyes, so these colors bring them to the fore). Recently I have been experimenting with different sweater/shirt/tie combinations, and have found that most of my wardrobe is modular except for my ties. Whatever the outfit, I almost always wear black Heisman loafers, as they work well with just about everything. They are formal enough to dress up, but with their moc design, they work well as casual shoes too. To finish off the look, I wear a 3/4 length wool coat with a double collar. With more casual wear (such as my black long sleeve thermal) it looks bad ass (I've gotten compared to Neo from the Matrix when I add sunglasses to the mix), but with a collared shirt or sweater, it adds a bit of extra polish (plus, it's super comfortable). Overall, I would say that my style draws a lot of influence from dieselpunk (especially my more casual outfits), but with plenty of my own touches to go along with it. It's functional and edgy, but with class.

Chase said:
A scarf is one that you can add to a number of different outfits (depending on the color and design of the scarf), and use in a variety of different ways to add flavor and panache. Women notice your scarf and comment on it a lot, and it stands out - a lot of men are too insecure to wear one (they think it makes them look gay).

Typically, you'll only see really effeminate men and really confident, masculine men wearing scarves, so a woman tends to assume you're either one or the other when she sees you sporting one.

Great point with the scarf. When it gets a bit colder, I have a black, grey, and white striped scarf that works amazingly well as an accent. right now the temperature has been a bit bipolar, so I've been wearing it just draped over my shoulders during the day (~50 Degrees) as an aesthetic piece, but at night when it gets colder (~30 Degrees), it becomes extremely functional. Either way, I agree with Chase that a good scarf can completely change an outfit.

A Life Loquacious

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
ooof, this is good. Last weekend I was at a party, I was wearing mostly black but had on a sleeveless top that was exposing light sleeves (most of my t-shirts are black as I find white ones get grubby way too quick and look horrible after only a few washes but this particular shirt was a heavy print on a light background) and because it was cold, I had my scarf on all night. I was having one of those nights where I was getting women opening me all the time and one did say "what's with the scarf" in a kinda combined interest/shit test way. But I was feeling particularly dapper that night, which is funny because I wasn't wearing anything new or different, and I guess that was showing through.

>