Getting a job tips.

Salamence

Space Monkey
space monkey
Anyone got any tips or a process they go through when finding a job?

Nuncle

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
No, but at my next interview I am going to try out the social styles sales technique recently covered on this site.

I think most job hunting advice is about as useful as most dating advice like "just be yourself". You know, all that nonsense about research the company, ask good questions, be professional, think of examples when you have excelled and so on. A lot of the time all that stuff will just go over the interviewer's head or worse will send them into a form of auto-rejection where they think you're being a clever dick or that you're a threat to them.

No, I think success at job hunting is all about the hidden psychology rather than the drab, conventional tips cited above. Have not "field tested" yet but am hoping the "social styles" stuff could be a winner.

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
Be prepared. By this I mean look people in the eye, have good presence and think about what value you can offer the company your trying to get a job at and try and show/tell them what you bring to the table. Also find a way to separate yourself from the average person applying for a job. If you do the opposite of the average person does your probably on the right road. I've never personally applied for a job or gone on an interview but I used to screen for good job applicants that would come and drop off resume's at the store. This is what I looked for.

Nuncle

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
To help me tailor my advice more what sort of level/experience are you at and what sort of job are you going for?

>