Getting a number, in front of your date?

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
In Chase’s recent article, the Shiniest Object; the Hottest Girl, he tells a story about a guy on a hike with his date who he is not thrilled with, and while on this hike he sees a hot girl giving him approach invitations.

Chase then writes, “Owen doesn't consider striking up a conversation with the foxy redhead for just a few minutes, then grabbing her contact info in a smooth, not-too-crazily-romantic way that lets him get her contact without sending his date into auto-rejection.”

I’d love to know what this smooth, tactful way of grabbing a number would look like. I’m a bit skeptical it’s realistic, but I am not skeptical of Chase’s advice. So how would this go, and how well can one expect this to even work?

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I think you do a friendly convo as a couple with the hiking trail as the common interest among the three of you. You get the number for all of you to get together at some future date.

When you call her tell her that it was a first date, and you won't be seeing her again and that you would like to see her one-on-one.

I often think of the cute Redhead I met on the trail while she was biking and I was running. She was giving me all sorts of IOI's but I never got the courage up to ask for her contact info. I WAS married at the time though....

Darius

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
ha, that takes finesse

I did it once, but I never followed up with her (had other drama with gf at the time), so I don't know if it worked or not.

Basically I maintained a very friendly vibe and added some subtle kino on top. You know how when girls like you, they find ways to touch you while diverting attention from it? I think that works well enough to show intent here. The biggest one was when I told her to "watch out for the guys behind" and I pushed her a bit on the small of her back, right above her butt. She smiled.

Then I got her number to "organise a hike", she seemed excited and friendly.

Gf didn't go into auto-rejection, and I never heard anything about it.

Last edited:

Skjöldr

Modern Human
Modern Human
there is no smooth tactful way of doing it because if you are on a date with a girl on a hiking trail and some other hb walks past you then what you are gonna turn around and walk/run after her? impossible. i have sometimes contemplated approaching a girl while on a date, knowing well that i would blow it with my date, but i would be willing to risk it. thus far i just havent been able to bring myself to it...

the only way i can see it working is what @Fuck This is saying. you take her into your conversation. keep it friendly. talk about some other cool hiking place and then say we should all go there together some time. grab her number that way. but it's a long shot. but that is the only possible way, unless there is some extraordinary situation like your date having to go away for a few minutes to take a call or use a toilet, and in that moment you juuust happen to see the other girl. i am talking about a normal situation where the other girl is walking towards you or standing by herself enjoying the view or taking pictures. you wanna open situationally. "hey! me and (name) was talking about blah blah" or some other opener on the enviroment. i would suggest you call your date your date. "Me and Melissa are on a date! haha" to cover your base. in that frame when you invite all of you to do something together some other time, you come off as chill, open-minded and very socially high value.

Darius

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
there is no smooth tactful way of doing it because if you are on a date with a girl on a hiking trail and some other hb walks past you then what you are gonna turn around and walk/run after her? impossible. i have sometimes contemplated approaching a girl while on a date, knowing well that i would blow it with my date, but i would be willing to risk it. thus far i just havent been able to bring myself to it...
no disagreement there, should have noted my interaction was also in a group setting in a bar. opening and chatting another girl without bringing your date/gf into the conversation *at all* sounds like auto-rejection city to me. Maybe could work if you were simping before or something

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
The tactful way is "gregarious guy making friends getting multiple other people's numbers."

You talk to a cool-looking guy on the trail first. Fun two minutes chat, then "hey you should come out and grab drinks with us sometime." Number exchange.

Then the foxy redhead next. "Hey we ought to get drinks."

You don't actually need to get everybody's number. Anytime I've done it specifically to get a girl's number in front of another girl I've typically only grabbed first a guy's number, then the number of the girl I want. Makes it murky enough for the girl you're with if you were after that girl's number or not (she suspects, but doesn't know) while creating enough hope in the girl you #-closed that you really orchestrated it all for her (after all, you didn't grab a ton of people's numbers... she eye-coded you, then you immediately grabbed some other guy's number, then circled over to her, grabbed hers, then switched back out of social mode and went back to the girl you were with. Just looks like sharp social savvy to her).

Chase

>