LR  Girls who drink beer = Awkwardness ?

nino

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Went on a date with a girl I met on the bus. We went to a bar so:

Venue #1: The Bar

When the bar keeper asked us what we wanted I said I'd have whatever she'd have and she ordered beer which I found a little surprising because (almost) all girls I know don't like beer at all. But was a good starter for the conversation, we had a good time. Although it was kinda strange that she so insisted that I talked saying she doesn't talk a lot herself but likes to listen. Not wanting to give away personal information I was like "uhm okay, I could talk about basketball but promise you won't run away" (Once I get going about the NBA I won't stop, and I don't care if you care). So I quickly told her I liked the Lakers and she was actively listening but I involved her so I asked her what she knew about the NBA like which players or teams and taught her some terms. I think she enjoys talking more than she claimed.

Now I didn't over do it but after a while I was bored myself so I changed topic and told her my parents live abroad and voila, she started to tell me like everything about her family. After a little while things got really awkward, though. All of a sudden she stopped talking, crossed her arms, leaned all the way back and gave me a strange look. I asked her what was wrong and she told me I appeared so disinterested which was quite a surprise to me because I thought I was relating well to her. But she told me it was my body position and maybe she was right on that one. Now I really was interested in what she said (her family is so much more interesting and exciting than mine) and I thought I sat there in a comfortable way but thinking back now, yeah, maybe it appeared distant. Had my arms on the tables but my elbows pointing to the side and my hands on the edge of the table hanging down. A position I used to sit in at school all the time, it's just a comfort thing but will change that habit now.

Anyway, I told her that I truly was interested in her story and that I didn't mean to give her that feeling, when she stood up, apologized herself and ran to the rest rooms for a second and then came right back. I didn't know what was going on and she said it was so embarrassing to her that she thought I wasn't interested that she needed to hide which in turn she then found even more embarrassing. Managed to calm her down though and we agreed that we'd use that as a bonus for me when I do something embarrassing myself.

Then we talked about some random stuff but having a real good conversation, drinking some more beer when she received a Facebook message. Now it's not my style to check what's going on on others' smart phones but I happened to see it was from a girl so I jokingly said "let me guess, her house burnt down and you need to rescue her". She blushed a little and admitted that her friend indeed asked whether she needed to get her out or not. But she also said that she found things to be going well. And so her friend, instead of rescuing her, wanted to meet me too. Forgetting about some of the principles I learned over the past two months I agreed.

So Venue #2: the streets with her and her friend

Her friend turned out to be pretty cool beans (and hot as well) and it was really easy to have a conversation with her and I was talking almost only to her, but I kept checking for my date who didn't even seem to be bored at all anyway. Her friend told us about a couple of friends of hers celebrating something in a nearby bar and we agreed to go there, even though I really didn't want to and I made up a plan.

Anyway, Venue #3: another bar

Didn't really come up with a plan, I didn't know how I would get her to leave with me. But I didn't need to, because the bar was super super crowded. So I told my date (actually, her name was Martha) that I really didn't like super crowded bars with all that smoke and she said she didn't either so it was easy to leave together. I asked her what she wanted to do now and she said we could just walk around and look for a nice looking place to go, which we did.

And there goes Venue #4: yet another bar.

Luckily, we didn't stay all too long because the bar was about to close, we just had a quick beer. Didn't really talk all too much, we were just sitting next to each other and she started to hold my hand. We had some intense eye contact and I went in for the kiss. After that, we took a taxi to her place. We didn't really decided that together, it was just like leave because the bar closed and I said "let's take a taxi" and once we were in she already said her address and we continued to kiss during the ride.

Venue #5: her place

There wasn't much I needed to do at her place, we got out of our shoes and she directed me directly to her bed room, showing me where an extra cover and pillow was while she needed to go to the bath room quickly. So I got that stuff and started to undress (not completely though) as she already came in and we lay down and then had sex. It was pretty wild which I enjoyed (my ex girlfriend was more into slow stuff) but things got awkward again when she came before me which she found to embarrassing, covering her face and asking if she was bad in bed or if I didn't enjoy it. I told her I was fine but I got down from her and we fell asleep. The next morning all awkwardness seemed to be gone though and she served me some coffee.

Pretty crazy date and I definitely need to learn how to move things/escalate faster. Especially the meet up with her friend was completely unnecessary. I wonder though if watching what a girl drinks like they do in the movies is really that meaningful. If so, I'll avoid girls who drink beer in the future. No, not just because of two rather strange incidents but she had a couple of strange features about her, which aren't worth mentioning though.

So long - nino

Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Although it was kinda strange that she so insisted that I talked saying she doesn't talk a lot herself but likes to listen.

A lot of girls will say this as a front because they don't want to talk about themselves too much. This is where being a good conversationalist comes in handy, because you're going to have to find a way to make her talk without asking direct questions, because even if she says she doesn't want to talk she will still talk to you and enjoy it if you make it enjoyable. Funny how I made this comment before reading "I think she enjoys talking more than she claimed."

All of a sudden she stopped talking, crossed her arms, leaned all the way back and gave me a strange look.

Probably a test, or a compliance issue. I'm leaning towards test, but it's also good to comply with your body language by leaning in when she is offering value, complimenting you, or when she is going deep into her story and revealing things about her. Leaning back the whole time is definitely distant, and leaning in can be powerful if used in the right circumstance.

She blushed a little and admitted that her friend indeed asked whether she needed to get her out or not. But she also said that she found things to be going well. And so her friend, instead of rescuing her, wanted to meet me too.

Yeah.. Meeting friends is a bad idea. Places you firmly in potential boyfriend territory. This is where moving a girl comes in handy, or telling the girl that another friend can get her, as she's busy right now. I might even ask for the phone and message them back myself saying, "Sorry, I'm busy right now" or something along those lines.

Forgive me for saying this, but I get the idea that this girl was a bit odd. Maybe it was low self esteem or something, but it sounds like a lot of the awkwardness was stemming from her. Just make sure she didn't get the wrong expectation and latch onto you.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Howdy Nino,

Was this the girl you met on the bus in your newbie assignment (or, different girl)?

Job well done on another girl bedded, although a few areas for improvement here -

nino said:
she ordered beer which I found a little surprising because (almost) all girls I know don't like beer at all.

Obviously, you haven't seen the famous blog update from the OkCupid blog:

The Best Questions For A First Date

OkCupid said:
Okay, if you want to know...

Will my date have sex on the first date?

Ask...

Do you like the taste of beer?

Because...

Among all our casual topics, whether someone likes the taste of beer is the single best predictor of if he or she has sex on the first date.

BeerGoggles.png

No matter their gender or orientation, beer-lovers are 60% more likely to be okay with sleeping with someone they've just met. Sadly, this is the only question with a meaningful correlation for women.

Personally, I'd take all those numbers for women and bump them up 30 or 40 points for a guy who really knows what he's doing with women. If she likes beer, she's almost 100%.

There's no reason given, but my presumption is that, since beer is largely an acquired taste, if she likes beer that means she's spent a LOT of time drinking beer at bars and parties and not being too particular (most girls will insist on mixed drinks). Lower standards + lots of time in nightlife environs + getting drunk = hooking up with her fair share of fellas and losing the lot of her inhibitions about it.

nino said:
Now I didn't over do it but after a while I was bored myself so I changed topic and told her my parents live abroad and voila, she started to tell me like everything about her family. After a little while things got really awkward, though. All of a sudden she stopped talking, crossed her arms, leaned all the way back and gave me a strange look. I asked her what was wrong and she told me I appeared so disinterested which was quite a surprise to me because I thought I was relating well to her.

Like RTB noted... she sounds like an odd duck. I've run into these girls before, and they can be easy to bed, but they're often on a Ferris wheel of men anyway. Self-esteem issues... probably some mix of low self-esteem and borderline personality disorder. People with BPD are highly sensitive to perceived slights or insults or disinterest or other things socially, and often perceive insults where there are none. Tends to stem from family problems early in life, and women are 3 or 4 times more likely to have it than men.

People with BPD are a REAL handful... not usually good to keep around in any long-term capacity unless you're fine dealing with ungodly amounts of drama.

nino said:
Managed to calm her down though and we agreed that we'd use that as a bonus for me when I do something embarrassing myself.

This is a very solid recovery. Great job humbling yourself here by implying you'll probably mess up at some point too, and are only human / no better than her. Well played.

nino said:
Luckily, we didn't stay all too long because the bar was about to close, we just had a quick beer. Didn't really talk all too much, we were just sitting next to each other and she started to hold my hand. We had some intense eye contact and I went in for the kiss. After that, we took a taxi to her place. We didn't really decided that together, it was just like leave because the bar closed and I said "let's take a taxi" and once we were in she already said her address and we continued to kiss during the ride.

You got somewhat lucky on this date - lucky that you didn't end up in the really loud, crowded place; lucky that the friend liked you and didn't interfere; lucky that you didn't end up in boyfriend territory after spending a lot of time on her and losing your social anonymity with her friend; and lucky that she seemingly made up her mind fairly early on (probably with the recovery from her feeling like you were disinterested - I bet if you asked her to pin it down to a specific moment, it'd be that moment) that she was going to bed with you that night.

I went through this - where a chunk of my lays were happening in spite of myself, and I realized that if I had the bolts tightened down more firmly I'd probably be closing things out a lot more consistently (which did turn out to be the case).

Anyway though, you made it happen, and you led and recovered from weird stuff in some of the moments where it most counted. You're in a good place with your picking up; I think your main thing here is going to be pushing the limits and seeing how fast you can make things go and how many steps you can skip. Once you get that figured out, you're golden.

Chase

nino

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Thanks for your insight guys!

RTB said:
Probably a test, or a compliance issue. I'm leaning towards test, but it's also good to comply with your body language by leaning in when she is offering value, complimenting you, or when she is going deep into her story and revealing things about her. Leaning back the whole time is definitely distant, and leaning in can be powerful if used in the right circumstance.

Yeah will definitely work on my body language in the future!

Chase said:
Was this the girl you met on the bus in your newbie assignment (or, different girl)?

Yes, it was her. And wow that blog post is golden! Maybe I won't avoid beer drinking girls then ;)

Chase said:
Like RTB noted... she sounds like an odd duck. I've run into these girls before, and they can be easy to bed, but they're often on a Ferris wheel of men anyway. Self-esteem issues... probably some mix of low self-esteem and borderline personality disorder. People with BPD are highly sensitive to perceived slights or insults or disinterest or other things socially, and often perceive insults where there are none.
People with BPD are a REAL handful... not usually good to keep around in any long-term capacity unless you're fine dealing with ungodly amounts of drama.

RTB said:
Forgive me for saying this, but I get the idea that this girl was a bit odd. Maybe it was low self esteem or something, but it sounds like a lot of the awkwardness was stemming from her. Just make sure she didn't get the wrong expectation and latch onto you.

You're both dead on about this, she truly was "special". Also about being attached, she went on to text me that she really liked me and wanted more and when I responded that she knew I wasn't into relationships (I really did tell her) she got super mad to which I didn't respond because I didn't bother and after a couple of hours I received the following text "you could sleep again with me. WITH ME"

Anyway, it sure was good to gain some experience.

Mr. oblivious

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
nino said:
I think she enjoys talking more than she claimed.
Basically all girls love talking she probably just self conscious cause her friends say she doesn't shut up etc.

I made up a plan. Didn't really come up with a plan

sounds like me

got awkward again when she came before me which she found to embarrassing, covering her face and asking if she was bad in bed or if I didn't enjoy it
Sounds like she is a very self conscious person or a people pleaser because of the story business and then this

good fields reports

>