How do you not get shaken up in 'amog battles' or 'frame battles' with bigger men in front of a girl?

DaVinciMatrixStyle

Space Monkey
space monkey
So I got into a confrontation with a guy bigger than I was while I was talking to a girl. He was about 6'3 and I'm about 5'10 and obviously wanted something with my girl.
Anyway, he was trying to take up the space between me and the girl and while trying to ignore me.
I'm not sure if I made the right move but I directly confronted him.

Me: Yo dude, back up a little bit. You taking up all the space.
Him: Aw, come on little guy, you don't even take up that much space.
Me: Man, you got a problem? (The dude was trying to weasel into the space between me and the girl)
Him: Nah, there's no problem. You got a problem little guy? (He had a great self-amused frame)
And the convo continues.

Meanwhile the girl is watching this thing go down and a crowd started to form.

I train MMA and also hit the gym, but I also noticed that I started to get in my head when he started tooling me this way.
I was very confident in the beginning in the way I confronted him but I noticed as the conversation went on, it was almost like he started chipping away at my confidence.

I took on the frame of violence while he took on the self-amused frame of like aw look at this little guy.

In a case like this, the only way I would win is if I did escalate to the level of physical violence because I'm the one reacting while he's amused and tooling me with humor.

I had a few scenarios like these where I took on the amused frame with a larger guy and he tried to actually fight me.

Can anyone help provide some insight into how to handle these type of scenarios facing bigger guys when they think they could AMOG you cause of their size alone?

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
So I got into a confrontation with a guy bigger than I was while I was talking to a girl. He was about 6'3 and I'm about 5'10 and obviously wanted something with my girl.
Anyway, he was trying to take up the space between me and the girl and while trying to ignore me.
I'm not sure if I made the right move but I directly confronted him.

Me: Yo dude, back up a little bit. You taking up all the space.
Him: Aw, come on little guy, you don't even take up that much space.
Me: Man, you got a problem? (The dude was trying to weasel into the space between me and the girl)
Him: Nah, there's no problem. You got a problem little guy? (He had a great self-amused frame)
And the convo continues.

Meanwhile the girl is watching this thing go down and a crowd started to form.

I train MMA and also hit the gym, but I also noticed that I started to get in my head when he started tooling me this way.
I was very confident in the beginning in the way I confronted him but I noticed as the conversation went on, it was almost like he started chipping away at my confidence.

I took on the frame of violence while he took on the self-amused frame of like aw look at this little guy.

In a case like this, the only way I would win is if I did escalate to the level of physical violence because I'm the one reacting while he's amused and tooling me with humor.

I had a few scenarios like these where I took on the amused frame with a larger guy and he tried to actually fight me.

Can anyone help provide some insight into how to handle these type of scenarios facing bigger guys when they think they could AMOG you cause of their size alone?

So what you did wrong was to give someone a command who obviously was trying to work against you. Obviously when you told him to back up he's not going to do it, so you set yourself up there. Once you tell someone to do something and they don't do it, you either have to back off or escalate. So you verbally escalated (probably felt trapped into it) and so from the get go he's the one who's just chill and you're struggling to impose your frame.

The best way to start proceedings IMO is to clarify the frame that he's trying to impose on you. Either by simply commenting to him on what he's doing (not something I prefer to do first because you have to figure out how to say it in a funny and nonchalant way) or by rearranging the position of yourself and your girl such that he would have to be even more obvious to continue what he's doing. The idea is to make it so that by the time you comment or take any action he's already reaching hard to impose himself and can't really deny it.

You could simply swing the girl around on the other side of you and close the distance (which also is probably a positive for her as you're being assertive with her) and then if you feel like it make a funny comment to the girl about guys who don't know about personal space or something.

Every time he pushes in after that, you could simply point it out to him and move her again, once that's happened 2 or 3 times he's going to have a hard time pretending he's just chill and you can really try to rib him and frame him as a weirdo who doesn't know basic social rules or who's out to annoy other people.

At that point he's going to either have to go all in (fight you) or keep getting deeper into the weirdo frame. Basically the idea is to make it so unless he's hell bent on ruining your night, he's just going to end up looking weird chasing you around.

PS a couple of points: I wouldn't engage or acknowledge him at all until things had already become obvious. Big guys expect everyone to be paying attention and reacting to them, and treating him like a trolley of empty bottles (i.e. you maneuver a bit to prevent a collision but otherwise don't pay the least attention) is a good way to make him strive more for it. Dangerous guys who are assessing a situation don't make eye contact or open their body to engage, that's the vibe you want to give off to him.

The other thing is: the bar/club is not your house. You're not there to defend your territory or honor, it's a public place where social rules and social skills are paramount. So be the better one at following them, clarifying them, and contrasting your enemies against them to damage them. In a public place you can easily afford to give someone the 'benefit of the doubt' enough times that they have to make themselves very obvious to continue. If you're smooth, even if a girl knows and you know and she knows that you know that someone is pushing you around a little, you can still play a very tactful game, because in that setting, social prowess and maintaining chill is far more important than not giving an inch.

>