FR  Impromptu dinner with girl, shows interest, then rejects

MileHighTexan

Space Monkey
space monkey
So on Saturday night I was at a buddy's apartment and he kindly asked me to leave because he was having a girl over. Fair enough, I thought. So I headed down to a bar just down the street from his apartment by myself. It's around 7pm so there aren't many people in there.

I see a cute girl sitting by herself at a table of 4. So after getting a beer I approach.

Me: "You all by yourself?"
Her: "Yup."
Me: "Mind if I join you?"
Her: "Sure!"

So I sit down, introduce myself right away, and start talking about her. I ask her what brings her to town, she tells me she's new here and is here for school, and doesn't really know many people yet. Perfect, I'm thinking. She then tells me she's at the bar for some dinner and waiting for her bartender/waitress friend to get off so they can go out that night.

So the friend comes up and starts talking to us. I figure she may be a bit of an obstacle to the girl I'm going after, being that the bar wasn't busy at all and she had time to chill with us, so I decided I should go for the number first opportunity I get.

Then, my friend (male) who works at the bar walks in and sits with us. Fuck, I'm thinking. But again, I play it cool and keep interacting with the girl I sat down with. She seems semi-interested. But I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that's just her personality. She was pretty quiet for the most part, but definitely not cold toward me. She showed small signs of interest such as asking questions about me and of course, gave me her number later on.

So once the waitress and my friend get up from the table, I figure I won't have many more opportunities to go in for the number, so I go ahead and say "We should grab drinks sometime soon. Let's exchange numbers!"

She gladly accepts and I hand her my phone so she can punch in her number. I text her immediately thereafter with my name and she got it (good way to screen out fake numbers).

So then the waitress says she's getting off soon and they're about to take off. So now that I've got the number, I hug the girl goodbye and said "see ya soon!" and we parted ways. They did not invite me to go with them so I figured I'd look needy by staying and hoping they'd ask.

Well, around 11pm that night she texts me saying "We're at (big bar in town). It's neat. Are you coming out tonight?"

And I'm thinking, "awesome! This girl's already showing signs of interest!" And yes, I was out at a bar in a different part of town at that point. I was decently drunk and EXHAUSTED because I'd been drinking since noon (gotta love watching football all day). My line of reasoning goes like this: "I shouldn't drop everything I'm doing just to be with her. It's good to not always be available to girls. Not to mention I have no means of transportation to the bar she's at." Plus, I was practicing approaching girls at this bar I was at and it was going pretty well.

Long story short, we don't end up meeting that same night. I suppose I could have taken a cab, but what's done is done. So I text her around 5pm the following day saying "Sarah, hey. Hope you had fun at (that bar), I always do when I go there. Let's find a time to grab drinks or dinner. What's your schedule like this week?"

No response.

I think... "What? This chick definitely showed signs of interest and now she's ignoring my text? This doesn't make much sense."

This makes me scratch my head because I think I made the right moves and MOVED FAST. In fact, could I really have moved faster? Got the number within a few minutes of meeting her, exchanged a few texts that night, and texted her within 24 hours to set up a meet. But, for all I know it could have just slipped her mind. Some stuff is just beyond my control and that's okay.

I plan on persisting a little bit this week because when a girl shows interest like this, I think persistence can work wonders. Of course, if she ignores me again, it's time to move on. But I'd really love to get GC's opinion on this. What say you, guys?

Marty

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
MileHighTexan said:
Me: "You all by yourself?"
Her: "Yup."
Me: "Mind if I join you?"
Her: "Sure!"

So I sit down, introduce myself right away, and start talking about her.

Great start, but before you start talking about her, you should have gone direct. "Thanks. I know that there are plenty of other spaces, but you have this amazing look about you and I felt I just had to talk to you... what's your name?" Then continue as before.

MileHighTexan said:
So now that I've got the number, I hug the girl goodbye and said "see ya soon!" and we parted ways.

Oh boy... I'm determined to stamp this out ;-) See this response by Chase for a discussion of what this does to any attraction you may have had going for you.

>