Losing Hair, Have a Decision to Make

MonsterzRock

Space Monkey
space monkey
Yeah, this has been a challenging one for me as well. I'm almost ready to take the "bald" plunge, lol.

However, I'll say this for the moment, that I've been using Rogaine for over 21 years now. At age 60, it hasn't stopped the balding completely but it has slowed it down. I'm still a little on the fence about going completely bald but know that it's inevitable within the next few years.
My other frustration is I can't do the facial hair thing. I didn't get those genes at all, lol. And trust me, I've tried many times and it ends up looking F'ing stupid!

Starboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
My hair has been thinning too and it's been upsetting me too. I've taken biotin pills to try and reduce hair loss at the very least,but it's having little effect it looks like. I'm the same age as op as well. Do I just accept the fact that i'm balding cuz of my genetics and there's very little I can do?

MonsterzRock

Space Monkey
space monkey
Just a brief follow-up to my earlier post. I didn't start losing hair on the crown area of my head until about age 38 and started using Rogaine (Minoxidil) the same age. For me, it stopped the thinning from getting any worse up until about age 56-57. But now it's also starting to thin out above my forehead.

Since I'm a crazy older guy and a working musician, I still color my own hair and occasionally use Caboki for the crown area.
But as I said earlier, I already realize this method isn't going to work for me much longer as I will run out of hair to color, lol. And I'm okay with going bald when the time comes. As a heavy metal lead guitar player, I can always look to one of my many idols like Joe Satriani who went bald ages ago. I can't rock the facial hair but I could rock the sunglasses like Joe does on stage, lol.

Starboy: As others posted earlier here, everyone's different when it comes to what products or prescription drugs will work or not work. If none of those methods work, then it's time to consider the bald route or something else--a crazy haircut, I don't know, lol.

h8tehh8ers

Space Monkey
space monkey
I am just going to get a hair system. Don't bother fucking when your hormones for subpar results

ph40

Space Monkey
space monkey
Where I work I have some co-workers who are in their 30s and thinning out quickly up top. Many of them just wear a baseball cap 24/7!

Deg

Space Monkey
space monkey
I have 2 things to chime in that might help Danny.

1. I think the main issue comes down to keeping hair vs a potential( not absolute or definite) risk of side effects related to lowering DHT. How much does hair matter to seduction? Is it worth keeping the hair for the risk of side effects or is the potential danger not worth it? I have several friends on finasteride or brand name Propecia with 0 side effects only hair regrowth.

I wonder if maybe some of the more senior members of the forum can chime in how much hair affects seduction???
or if they noticed differences when they were buzzed or shaved vs a full longer hairstyle?

Does the confidence of hair outweigh the suppression of some androgenicity?

2. I would be really curious to learn how taking Finasteride/Propecia affects the Winner effect that Chase mentions in his articles that have to do with the levels of testosterone in the blood?

because Finasteride blocks the 5AR enzyme that converts Testosterone into DHT so technically your Testosterone levels will rise but some of that testosterone will undergo a different enzyme process where testosterone is converted into Estrogen through the Aromatase enzyme which is what is causing the possibility of side effects I posted a link below that has pictures that explain what I'm talking about. It was too difficult to just paste the image. If anyone is curious, I would scroll till the pictures if you want a TLDR https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCKCO8bmmgPUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAb

Also, if you decide to do it maybe you can microdose the finasteride. The standard dose is 1mg a day that is approved by the FDA. But many studies show you can have the same effect at lower doses like 0.5 mg or even as low as 0.2 mg. You could also do 1mg every other day or 3 days a week or something. That might reduce the risk of side effects and offer some protective benefits. Unfortunately, some kind of androgen blocker is the only way the stop the actual cause of balding. Minoxidil/ Rogaine and other things usually only increase actual hair growth but do nothing about the continuous hair fall. I hope that brings you some peace. You can accept it and shave it or start the finasteride but maybe at a smaller dose and see if that works for you. Good Luck

ART

Space Monkey
space monkey
As someone who has been in a similar situation with losing hair, shave it.

You'll probably be like me and love rocking the chrome dome quickly.

Yes, you won't miss having hair at all.

One thing though...do wear a hat when it gets cold (obviously) :D

Darius

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Does the confidence of hair outweigh the suppression of some androgenicity?
As a guy that went through horrible finasteride sides, yeah it does. It's really surprising how little control you have over your feelings once the underlying compounds are altered. You can take anti-depressants as another example of this.

While on it, my confidence went down significantly, I lost all motivation to do pretty much anything, and I was feeling frustrated non-stop for no reason.

I guess you could wait that out and hope your body will eventually reach homeostasis with the new hormone levels, however keep in mind, DHT also has other roles than androgenicity. Its metabolites have a role in cognitive functions and have a wide range of effects, including anti-depressant, anti-stress and anti-anxiety. The true extent of the changes caused by finasteride can be incredibly hard to pin-point and study. Nor do we know the mechanisms by which they work, or the genetic features that cause the side effects appear. We're really messing with systems that we do not yet understand.

You can pick your poison - either balding or changes in your hormones and brain chemistry. I'd personally take a hairless head over messing with these drugs, but then again I took the shot and found out I lost the genetic hair lottery twice by having bad sides. So not much of a choice for me.

pancakemouse

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
You can pick your poison - either balding or changes in your hormones and brain chemistry. I'd personally take a hairless head over messing with these drugs, but then again I took the shot and found out I lost the genetic hair lottery twice by having bad sides. So not much of a choice for me.
Not true. Plenty of guys take finasteride with zero noticeable side effects.

There's very little harm and lots of upside in trying it out and seeing how you manage it.

pancakemouse

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
finestride is a dht blocker aka will destroy your libido, this is a FACT....
No, it's not a FACT. Because last I checked, FACTS were backed up by SOURCES.

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

she just spoke about 1 of the many studies (every single seducer i know, jackgiant the last victim, that took that stuff) went castrated, there are many other alternative that will not affect your sex drive, this blocking dht, is not a good idea...

Darius

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Not true. Plenty of guys take finasteride with zero noticeable side effects.

There's very little harm and lots of upside in trying it out and seeing how you manage it.

It's a fact that the endocrine system is far more interconnected than we think and blocking a SINGLE hormone often leads to a cascade of changes happening into your system (known and potentially unknown).

The basic DHT equation looks like this:

Testosterone + 5α-Reductase --> DHT --> Metabolites​

Here's what DHT metabolizes into and their effects. No more DHT (75% reduction keep in mind!), no more metabolites. From the wiki page of DHT:
Metabolites of DHT have been found to act as neurosteroids with their own AR-independent biological activity.[18] 3α-Androstanediol is a potent positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor, while 3β-androstanediol is a potent and selective agonist of the estrogen receptor (ER) subtype ERβ.[18] These metabolites may play important roles in the central effects of DHT and by extension testosterone, including their antidepressant, anxiolytic, rewarding/hedonic, anti-stress, and pro-cognitive effects.[18][19]

But wait, there's more. You block testosterone to DHT conversion, that means that your body is now left with a heap of unused testosterone. Testosterone metabolizes into various other compounds, one of them being estrogen. Estrogen itself metabolizes into a ton of other compounds. Both testosterone and estrogen have a myriad of effects inside your body. Some noticeable, some not so much.

From wiki page of reductase:
Inhibition of 5α-reductase results in decreased conversion of testosterone to DHT, leading to increased testosterone and estradiol. Other enzymes compensate to a degree for the absent conversion, specifically with local expression at the skin of reductive 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, oxidative 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, and 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymes.[19]

But wait, there's more. 5α-Reductase itself has other functions inside your body than just converting testosterone to DHT. Your body compensates for it by creating more enzymes instead of it that are not affected by finasteride. Those have other systemic effects based on your genes.

Like it or not, when you take that drug you alter a big chunk of your endocrine system. Some effects you may notice (and accept), like lowered libido etc. Some you may not unless you test your cognitive function or bone density regularly. And that's just the effects we know of and can test. Not to mention mental health, which is very hard to test properly (if you have more anxiety than before you probably think it's just a shitty period of your life).

I'm not saying it's an evil drug. Just that it will cause changes in you, and your hormones affect literally every other system in your body. When you take it you should know what you're getting yourself into.

PS. hims SELL finasteride. You could not have picked a more biased source.

pancakemouse

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
she just spoke about 1 of the many studies (every single seducer i know, jackgiant the last victim, that took that stuff) went castrated, there are many other alternative that will not affect your sex drive, this blocking dht, is not a good idea...

Every single seducer you know fell into 2.8% to 3.8% of the population? What a coincedence!

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
As a guy that went through horrible finasteride sides, yeah it does. It's really surprising how little control you have over your feelings once the underlying compounds are altered. You can take anti-depressants as another example of this.

While on it, my confidence went down significantly, I lost all motivation to do pretty much anything, and I was feeling frustrated non-stop for no reason.

I guess you could wait that out and hope your body will eventually reach homeostasis with the new hormone levels, however keep in mind, DHT also has other roles than androgenicity. Its metabolites have a role in cognitive functions and have a wide range of effects, including anti-depressant, anti-stress and anti-anxiety. The true extent of the changes caused by finasteride can be incredibly hard to pin-point and study. Nor do we know the mechanisms by which they work, or the genetic features that cause the side effects appear. We're really messing with systems that we do not yet understand.

There is no pick your poison, there are a bunch of other cosmetic alternatives to hair lose:

POB

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
ED is 90% related to your head.

Yes, DHT blockers can decrease libido and even cause ED, but these are very rare side effects (1.5-2% of men, depending on the study).
Plus it's kinda of obvious that guys who already have some predisposition to have low libido or ED (low or disfunctional testo) will get the worse side of the bargain and should avoid it like the plague.

Also, as with any drug, there's an adaptation period required for your body to upregulate in the presence of a strange agent. 1mg of finasteride has been proved to be a very low dosage that does not disrupt important functions of testosterone. That said, the DHT reduction should (theoretically) be well tolerated once your system adapts to the medication.

My personal experience is that it was well worth the risk. I still have a nice flock of hair above my head and my sexual drive didn't suffer at all. On the contrary, I still have boners for the ages at age 42. But:
- I lift weights since I was 15
- I take vitamins and minerals daily
- I have a very active sexual life

>