Paying....Frames they set - how to reframe?

girlsfollow

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Girls are good at framing the paying as something you are obliged to do, one classic is "you chose where to go and invited me out so you should pay" (of course they neglect to mention that they won't pay if they invite you!) - to be fair this actually quite a good argument?

I have tried to argue it isn't fair - but this then starts to seem like you are trying to get out of paying because you are a cheapskate - how do you argue the above argument? Especially if whenever you make a stand against a woman it makes it seem like you REALLY CARE - it breaks sprezzatura in a way because you are putting effort into arguing...

Estate

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Don't waste your time discussing it or arguing it.
I have pretty hard rules on this.

Assuming we are talking about a first date... lets say we go for a few drinks. Look, be a man and pay for the drinks on a first date. Sure, you can game your way into making her pay or whatever, she won't be impressed if you're looking for this to be anything more than short-term. It's not going to kill you to pay for a round or two of drinks and you're the man so be a man and pay for it.

That said... if she brings it up before or during that I should pay or she tests me and doesn't at least do the obligatory half assed reach for her purse to offer to pay her share then she's done as far as I'm concerned. I won't be asking her out again unless it is purely to hookup and I won't be asking her anywhere I have to pay for something in that case. You're the man... pay for the date, she's a modern self sufficient women, she should at least be offering. If she doesn't.. she's not even worth my time. Especially if she tests you on it... it's not even worth the breath it takes to game her on it, she's not worth it.

Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Girls are good at framing the paying as something you are obliged to do, one classic is "you chose where to go and invited me out so you should pay" (of course they neglect to mention that they won't pay if they invite you!) - to be fair this actually quite a good argument?

Depends. For her, it's a good argument. Of course.. There are a lot of easy ways to get out of it and put the problem on the back-burner.

Chase wrote a great article that talks about paying for a date, along with the frames that it sets. They may be amazing at trying to frame things so that you are a provider; but that's why you need to frame things the right way from early on. Give her the sense that you're going to be a provider and you will have a tough time getting out of paying for her. As long as everything is informal and not really a "date" where you wine and dine her as a provider would, you're not going to be slotted that way.

So, you're right. It breaks sprezzatura in a way that you start to put in unneeded effort. Best way to not put in that effort? Prevent her from even thinking that you would pay for a date. And when she gets mad at you because you said split the check, simply give her a cheeky look & smile that communicates, "You actually thought I was going to PAY for you? I'm not your provider; you have plenty of other guys for that."

Estate

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Ross said:
And when she gets mad at you because you said split the check, simply give her a cheeky look & smile that communicates, "You actually thought I was going to PAY for you? I'm not your provider; you have plenty of other guys for that."

But how is this in any way "least effort"?
If you don't intend on paying for dates then why would you set up a date where it requires this discussion? It makes no sense whatsoever.

If you share payment then you are friendzoning yourself if she's on the fence and if she's not you're proving yourself not to be boyfriend material (yet also not lover material as being a cheapass is just not an attractive trait)
If you're going to set up a situation where this needs to happen then you should be in a position to pay and be going down the longterm route with this girl.

If you want her purely to sleep with and won't pay for a date, why would you set up a dinner/drinks/movie/anything that requires this conversation, type of date? You just wouldn't.

This is being WAY over complicated guys.

Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
But how is this in any way "least effort"?

The least effort to achieve the means of the task defines power. It may be easier and show less effort to simply submit to their frame and pay for them. But you are painted as a weak provider, not a strong lover.

If you share payment then you are friendzoning yourself if she's on the fence and if she's not you're proving yourself not to be boyfriend material (yet also not lover material as being a cheapass is just not an attractive trait)

Sharing payment in no way effects anything roughly related to "friend". It's mostly about provider, which is usually paired with friend, so I'm assuming your saying that. Also, you don't want to be boyfriend material, even if you want to be in a relationship with her. It's killer for quick lays, which provide the most potent possibility for a connection.

If you don't intend on paying for dates then why would you set up a date where it requires this discussion? It makes no sense whatsoever.

You bring up a good question. Why set up a date where you even need to pay.. You can avoid it altogether!

In fact, I try to make sure that "dates" don't come up where paying is even a question. Getting her over to the apartment or dorm room is the much faster route to getting with women. But, still.. There's men out there that believe in going out to eat. It's simply a lot easier to convince someone to go to the local Starbucks than to have her come over to your house, because it's common practice and normal. Still, if placed in a situation where paying is an issue, and it will happen if you are with any woman for any amount of time, then go the route of the non-provider. It will prove better for your relationship, and better for your wallet.

Estate

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
So we're talking about a coffee here? Not even something big?

Like you guys really have to go through all this mental anguish and jedi mind tricks over a COFFEE? Pay for the damn coffee, bring her home after and done... nobody even cares.
Analyse it until you are blue in the face... it still makes no sense to me... if she goes to pay for her own coffee, let her, if not buy her a damn coffee... seriously... this isn't game... this literally IS being cheap and is not helping you.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I'd like to give my input here since this has come up several times. I believe I had a decent comment on it in an earlier thread way back when the boards started, but I don't feel like digging through my old posts to find it.

Personally, I almost always pay for the dates I go on. But as Estate mentioned, these dates are rarely big "wine and dine" dinners unless this is the second or third date -- the first date is always coffee or a drink for me. And even then, I still pay for most of those dates.

The problem here is that men actually make a big deal about the paying aspect of the date. The trick to maintaining a strong frame in this situation while still paying for the date is to just not even bring up the fact that you are paying (or that she is paying, if she is). If it's like a Starbucks (where you're ordering at a cash register), then just talk to her in line, and when it's your turn, you step up, order what you'd like, turn to her and say, "and what would you like to have?" Let her pick something, hand the money to the cash clerk, and turn back to her and continue your conversation. You'll sometimes get a thank you from the girl, and sometimes you won't. Either way, it's no big deal.

If there's one thing I'm absolutely sure of, it's that, if you have to somehow even end up in a conversation about the bill or money on the date, then you are automatically in a position of weakness. I'll explain this right now.

• If the girl is not expecting you to pay for the date, and somehow the topic still comes up, it'll make it seem like you were giving thought to the whole situation which comes across as very formal, inexperienced, and weak. The date is about you and her -- the coffees/drinks are merely a "socially-accepted" way of the girl meeting up with you to get to know you.

If the girl is expecting you to pay for the date and you try to force a frame on her about how "you don't pay for dates," then it means you're already setting an "enemy" frame with this girl, and you two haven't even sat down with your drinks yet!

Unless you really are unemployed and the girl is aware of this (therefore setting the expectation that money is something you don't have to spend freely), then paying for the date without even bringing up the issue is strong, confident, and unmatched. I believe Chase has a lot of success with not paying for dates because he often heavily disqualifies himself as a boyfriend (to the point where he tells women that he doesn't have a job), and on top of that, he doesn't stay in one location for very long, so it makes it very easy for him to set that frame.

On the other hand, if you're like me or 95% of the other men out there, it means you probably have at least a small source of income, you stay put in one location, and disqualifying yourself to the point where you make a girl believe that she should be paying for your coffee is damn near impossible.

As one more side note, Ricardus has also stated that he pays for dates. This is still a topic that is obviously up in the air, even between highly-respected seduction artists. I pay for almost every date, and I can say with 100% certainty that it hasn't hurt my game one bit. ;)

- Franco

NarrowJ

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I normally pay on a date also. My first dates (like Franco) are always something simple like coffee or a drink or two. If she offers to pay for herself, or buy a round, I always accept though. And, I make sure I reward her in some way for offering value.

Second dates, I usually give them a choice: "Well, I kind of feel like just chilling out. So my preference is a bottle of wine and a movie at my place. But, if you'd rather, I know a cool billiards parlor/bowling alley/etc" and I bet 9/10 times they go for the bottle of wine and movie. From there, I can have her grab a movie and me get the wine or vice-versa.

I don't do anything like dinner until we've slept together. But at that point, I'm still paying unless she offers to go half or if she offers to pay for the whole meal in return for me paying for prior dates. If you set things up like you are being equal, in my opinion she feels more compelled to do things like buy you an unexpected gift or other things like that.

I just had a girl leave me a basket on my front porch the other day, with snacks and my favorite liquor and a Maxim magazine and a couple other things with a note. I called her and told her how much I appreciated her, and the gifts, and that it was a surprise. She told me I could repay her with sex, which I thought was pretty cool :) Do you think she would be this way with me if I was making her feel like she had to do it? I don't.

Anyway, just my $0.02!!

NJ

HalfGuard

Space Monkey
space monkey
I´m glad this came up as is something that I have been struggling with , I also think that it isn´t wise to statrt having kind of an arguement over who´s paying so I have been avoiding scenarios where paying is involved by inviting girls home or if they don´t want yet to go to my place a picnic in a nearby park ,but I will start going to cheap dates like a starbucks or some ice cream
thank you guys

>