Radical honesty VS "what they don't know wont hurt them"

Blush

Space Monkey
space monkey
I know the goal always will be to avoid hurting any woman you are intimate with. But you learn by doing, and you will not always act perfectly rational. Sometimes you make mistakes, and maybe you will be forced to choose between hurting someone by telling the truth, or to avoid telling the truth to spare their feelings. This dilemma imposes somewhat of an ethical conundrum. My example:

I broke up with a girl about a month ago. We'd been together for little over two years. We didn't break up as enemies, it was civil. But I immediately felt bored and lonely and (since I got into game/seduction late in life) eager to meet other girls. So I recently contacted a girl I got to know about a year ago, a girl I found really attractive at the time, and who I also flirted with a bit back then.
Me being attracted to another girl, and also displaying that attraction did of course lead to drama and hurt feelings in my LTR. And also got me to realize I couldn't go on being in this relation since I would risk hurting my girlfriend more and more because of the increased longing to learn seduction and to seek more experiences.

You can spare me the moral lessons and critique of me flirting with other girls while being in a LTR by the way, and my failure to set up the LTR expectations and frame properly from the start. I'm fully aware of my mistakes and I've scrutinized myself enough for them already. Lesson learned, time to move on.

However, I got in touch with that girl from a year a go, and we actually hooked up, and everyone had a good time. But the thing is, my ex girlfriend and I are not totally estranged, or cancelled from each others lives by now. We live in the same city, and have enough of a shared social circle to run into each other once in a while. The other day, we met and talked for a bit about work, life etc. She then suddenly fixated me with her eyes and asked "are you seeing someone now?". My first instinct was of course to avoid the topic, my most recent endeavours was the last thing I wanted to talk about with her there and then, so I just said no, and we moved on.

But as you well know, women who know you well will notice this kind of stuff pretty quickly, they are very intuitive and socially perceptive and will pick up on hints about your thoughts and energies. I had a choice then to be upfront and tell her "yeah, I've actually met that girl that you could tell I liked a while ago, and who we fought about back then. How does that make you feel?". This would be honest, direct, and free from intentions to sneak around or withhold anything. Maybe better in the long run? But I couldn't do it, because I worried that the end result would merely be hurt feelings and more pain. This is where the ethical crossroads begin I guess- duty vs consequences, what feels right to you intuitively vs what will be least painful for her soul.

What do you guys think of speaking the whole truth at any cost, even when you know the truth will lead to complete bloodbaths?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@Blush,

She then suddenly fixated me with her eyes and asked "are you seeing someone now?". My first instinct was of course to avoid the topic, my most recent endeavours was the last thing I wanted to talk about with her there and then, so I just said no, and we moved on.

But as you well know, women who know you well will notice this kind of stuff pretty quickly, they are very intuitive and socially perceptive and will pick up on hints about your thoughts and energies. I had a choice then to be upfront and tell her "yeah, I've actually met that girl that you could tell I liked a while ago, and who we fought about back then. How does that make you feel?". This would be honest, direct, and free from intentions to sneak around or withhold anything. Maybe better in the long run? But I couldn't do it, because I worried that the end result would merely be hurt feelings and more pain. This is where the ethical crossroads begin I guess- duty vs consequences, what feels right to you intuitively vs what will be least painful for her soul.

Well, you're still in "relationship mode" with your ex, where you feel like you need to tell her this stuff about your personal life because you're still so bonded to her.

If you weren't, another solution would've occurred to you... flirtation:

HER: Are you seeing someone now?​
YOU: Why, you trying to pair me up with someone? [wink]​
HER: No, I'm just curious.​
YOU: Ah, well, ask me in a few months. I'm still figuring things out. How about you? Got a hot new beau?​
HER: No.​
YOU: I find that hard to believe. Girl like you should have guys banging down her door.​

Exes will ask you this stuff when they are either testing to see if you're open to getting back together, or testing to see how much of a hold they really had over you / how quick you moved on, or else if they are still smarting and are hoping to feel a little superior ("Ha! He's probably been all alone. I've already hooked up twice! I won't tell him that though, tee-hee!").

It's not like your ex somehow knows you banged that chick.

I mean, maybe she does. Some chicks have a weird telepathy like that. ("I just know he screwed that hussy from last year! Heck, he probably broke up with me just wanting to bang her!") I had a situation with an ex like that once. They get really weird about girls you knew before you broke up with them.

It's better not to air that sort of thing unless you need to though. It just casts doubts on the entire relationship, retroactively.

e.g., if there was some guy you were suspicious of your girl liking while you were together, then the two of you split up and you found out she hooked up with him right after, you'd probably start to think, "Geez, she was was fiending for this guy the entire relationship. She was probably having sex with me while thinking about him!" and now you're in all this turmoil.

If it comes up and she finds out, then sure, tell her, while reassuring her: "Look, I didn't even think of her after we had that conversation. But then I was single and I was like, 'Let's go through the old numbers and see who still responds!' and hey, she did! I'm sure you did the same thing when you got out too."

Otherwise though, unless it comes up, which I doubt it will unless that hookup turns into something more substantial, there's no need to be confessing it to her yourself. All it does is cause turmoil for her.

Don't kiss and tell, in other words.

Unless you get caught kissing. Then tell... but only as much as you need to to reassure.

Chase

>