Rakkum's Log

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Below the fundamentals

A lot of the poor body-language that makes one patently uncool is a result of behavior concurrent with constant hyperarousal or perceived low status having solidified into a default state.

Scanning the environment, being over-reactive to external stimuli (being jumpy), self-soothing gestures (touching your face), talking fast, constrained voice, constrained proxemics (use of physical space) etc. etc. When a person is aroused and/or under a heavy cognitive strain (brain is over-taxed) they revert to automatic behaviors which are the physical flip-side of neural pathways that over time have been strengthened and, I speculate, optimized for efficiency.

It's a vicious circle, really. Circumstances make you feel and behave in a certain way and that behavior in turn will start influencing what circumstances you find yourself in. Fortunately, with a moderate up-front payment, you can start a virtuous circle. The currency here being effort, attention and persistence. Attention, in my experience, is the most limiting factor here. If you can remind yourself every second, for example, to straighten up your posture, you'd probably be able to override the old neural pathways in matter of days, not months. But our minds wonder and hence it takes much more time. And hence why if you care about your success in changing yourself you ought to be wary of taking a bite that's too big to swallow -- stick to one thing at a time.

There are somewhat opposing views on how to deal with body-language. One side argues that you should focus on fixing the behavior and success will follow. The other side says that if you sort out your mind the body will follow. Which is right? Both. Depends on the circumstances of the person and possibly their learning style and cognitive disposition. Similarly, there are schools in yoga wherein the student attains the desired mental states through logical thought, love, visually-focused meditation etc.

On the mental side, meditation is effective in letting you see for yourself what kind of a chaotic mayhem goes on in your mind. You'll realize quickly that the contents of your mind really aren't you, emotions don't follow logic nor a sensible narrative. You'll start seeing yourself more as a perpetual process that you yourself, your conscious mind, has power to influence. You aren't a piece of rock, you are soft clay. And of course, meditation also increases your awareness and attention which you'll need to kickstart the virtuous circle.

Another powerful tool is changing your beliefs through the application of logic or re-interpretation of your reality. Stoics, Razorjack's Method anyone?

On the physical side, one of the most powerful and quickest tools to (at least temporarily) regulate your nervous system is through conscious breathing. Rule of the thumb is that exhalation reduces arousal while inhalation increases it. By extending your exhalation, you'll calm your mind and body in the matter of seconds. However, again, to do it, you obviously need to be self-aware - that is, keeping attention focused on your own mental state.

We would be well-served here to have a term to refer to this complex of traits that go deeper than fundamentals. Traits that will influence whether and how fast you will improve - ability to learn, self-awareness, self-regulation, persistence, etc.

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
A casual approach at the bookstore

Approached a classy well-dressed chick at the bookstore. Caught her eye when I was on the cafe side with my laptop.

Slowly walked up to her. She had earplugs on. I just smiled slowly and said hi. I'm really low energy today. Been talking to enough people lately that the anxiety starts to wear off and I'm slower in the interactions which is really important.

Me: [Slow smile] Hiii!
Her: [Slightly confused-surprised but delighted look] Uhm... hi.
Me: I was just sitting over there and saw something cool and voila thought I'll have to come and say hi [really relaxed, almost as if exhausted]
She: [giggles a bit] Oh...
Me: Yeah, must have been the cool green coat
[talk about the coat and what's the proper name of that piece of clothing - I complement her indirectly on her style]
She talks about looking a gift for her little sister. Asks me what I'm up to. bla blah

Me: Okay, listen I let you continue hunting for the gift but we should continue this.
She: [tells me she is someone but not sure if it's a steady thing, still fresh and doesn't want to undermine that thing]
Me: Ah cool, I see. You know tell you what, let's see about in a month.
She: Uhm, cool. Sure

I grab her number. She compliments me on chatting her up.

Main takeaways: slow down, let her react to you, don't force it, let the interaction flow AND even she's not available, most chicks like to be approached by cool guys anyhow.

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
OCTOBER

Ciao, gentlemen!

My aim is to be breezing through plenty of approaches as I go about my business daily, not really paying too much attention to the minutiae. Right now, however, I'm not quite there yet so throughout October I've been keeping track of approaches and #-closes -- to keep myself accountable.

Approaches: 81
#-closes: 17 (all from daygame)

(Within that period I had 6 day break when I was focused on something else and didn't purposefully approach at all)

What am I struggling with at the moment

1) Making approaching feel easy and natural

I can do it, have had moderate successes but I'm not able to do it consistently. I'd be happy with one fresh lay per week with an input of an hour per weekday.

I think my default vibe and fundamentals are satisfactory at the moment but if I'm not feeling on top of things then my lack of confidence will leak into my body-language, tonality etc. Hence the inconsistency in going out, doing the approaching and radiating the right feelings.

Yeah, my AA used to be bad. Even the act of deciding to go out and approach would make my stomach churn. Things have improved a lot.

I don't see state discussed so much around here but for me personally it's crucial. Ricardus' X-factor article series was vital for making state control into a daily practice. Also, Chase's techniques on extirpating the depressive neural pathways. The techniques in the latter have wider application and shouldn't be overlooked by guys who aren't dealing with depression. Nowadays, if I'm in a sufficiently mindful state I can flip my mental state at will. It's very helpful when going out. It's been plenty of work but It's paying off.

I'll lay out the exact practice out later if anyone is interested.

So, what I need to now: increase approaching volume and stay consistent with it until the anxiety that's holding me back becomes the juice I crave to feel alive and energized.

2) Converting numbers to dates

Out of the seventeen, 8-9 or so weren't so hot on me to begin with. Or at least that's how it feels. The rest that didn't work out, I fucked up over text. Most likely being a bit needy and chasing.

3) Dates to lays

I don't know what to aim for here but I'd be happy with a 2:1 ratio. As of now, that's not the case.

I used to rely a lot on Tinder. Since stopping doing that, the number of dates I'm having has fallen significantly. Less abundance, poorer vibe methinks.

Even though 1) is most important, I feel that I need to simultaneously improve 2) and 3) so as not to feel demoralized.

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Biker chick

Date with a chick I met some time in mid September. Did my usual texting, she was busy at first but responsive over text so we ended up meeting in early October -- a few weeks after the original meet.

Went on the date. She seemed interested and somewhat excited but the feel kind of stalled during the date (not the first nor last time I've been running into this).

First met at a cafe where I was finishing up some work, walked to a chic cocktail bar which I wanted to check out (maybe a bit too fancy, BF frame and all that), she got a non-alcoholic drink (I usually take that as a not so good sign - if she is looking to get laid and is not super uninhibited about it, she would probably would like to have a few drinks for plausible deniability - for me and herself too)

I made the mistake here of letting the conversation flow naturally... it's perfect when the vibe is right but in this case we were talking about stuff that we were both into but the whole interaction lacked .... sexual tension so I should have done a better job with steering the conversation and kinoing at the right times...

We had a drink, went for a walk, sat down on a bench at some park. The vibe by this time wasn't the best but I was hoping I could turn it around. But no. Plus there were some fucking rats running around the park wtf -- dunno, thinking this must have killed the vibe even more.

After a little while she said she needed to get going, it's late.. the usual litany. Tried to go for a kiss as we walked off... kind of a Hail Mary. No go.. Not surprised either..

My diagnosis: I had a decent chance here but I failed to stimulate her emotionally and sexually and the date went south.

Rakkum

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Monday

1) A classy looking chick sitting across from me in a booth at a cafe. Looks busy and a bit overwhelmed with work. Doesn't give me much eye-contact.

I'm on the phone when I get there. Finish my call (shooting the breeze with a friend, good emotions). Take a bit too long to get and go say hi.

First "hi" goes unnoticed. I say it again louder. She acknowledges. For the lack of a better one here I go with the usual "Saw you and you looked kind of cute". I get a polite smile but not enough of a good reaction to stop myself from ejecting.

Maybe could have persisted but felt a bit uncalibrated in this situation. But better to err slightly on this side of things.

Need to get into a more confident devil-may-care state and go in with more smooth positive energy - that should break the ice (all the autumn coldness and lack of light)

2) Was standing on the street, again on the phone, saw a good looking chick walk by. Seemed like she checked me out for a bit. I hanged up, told I'll call back and walked up to her. Opened from the side, didn't managed to stop her, she kept on walking. Should have probably opened with a bit of more positive bravado - bigger smile, louder "Ciaao!"

3) At mall, saw her glance at me.. Was wearing a mask. Walked casually by her, turned towards her at the last moment and opened with my casual "Ciao!". She took off her mask to say something, looked confused. I delivered the usual "Noticed you walking by, seemed cute... bla bla". She just smiled, seemed a bit confused and walked away. My opening here didn't feel quite as natural as I wanted it to be. Also, she didn't look super pretty either so I just let her walk away

4) Grocery store near my place. Aim was to get in 5 approaches today. It was a bit late already so I'm a bit hard pressed by now. Saw a chick with a mask checking out some food. Open with my usual. She responds in English. The conversation flows well, she's curious, asks me questions etc. I stay in for a few minutes, tell her I need to go, was cool talking and that we should meet up some time. I grab her contact and go. Never saw her face without the mask but the profile I photo from Messenger looks super nice.

Also, called a number I closed a few weeks ago. First she offered me her Instagram, I told her no I don't have it. Got her number instead which she made remark of - a la wow, my phone number? It's rare nowadays. Texted to see what her logistics were, said she was busy last week, so I only got back to it today. Phone calls are odd to me. I'm not that young but I've been relying on texting and the occasional voice clip. Conversation was ok, not super stimulating to her even though I try to use colorful language and intrigue.

E.g if anyone asks me how I'm doing I've say something like "Like in a fairytale!!" etc. "Oh, how's that like?". "I can't spoil the story can I?" or "You know, bright colors, good feelings, everything is simple and uncomplicated".

Interestingly, she actually asked if I have some social media to keep in touch. Can't recall the words she used... but implying it's a richer format for communication... Yeah, it's richer in that I can see how good she is at crafting her online presence haha! Times are changing indeed.

I also called another chick whom I met a month or so ago. Number closed around noon, set up a date for the evening. Had a few drinks. Brought her back to my place, got horrible LMR and she left. I texted a few times afterwards... no reply. So I thought I'll let it be for a while. Tried calling today. I think she didn't realize it was me so I got her on the phone and we had a decent conversation. I'll write this up in more detail.

Would like to understand what went wrong here. Seems like I get only horny chicks to come over - not setting the proper social frame?

>