Smiley graphics

WinnerWinner

Space Monkey
space monkey
It would be cool if you could add yellow smiley icons instead of the normal :) :( :O :p etc.

I think it is easier to read a long text with some icon smileys and it makes shorter texts more interesting to read

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Hey James,

I have mixed feelings on these. Basically, my feeling is that they're a little on the goofy side for the style we want to go for here (slick, elegant, etc.). I'm open to opinions though; anybody feel strongly one way or another about this? Can't guarantee I'll change it, as I'm not really a fan of the smileys, but if this is something where I'm far in the minority here I might change my position.

Opinions?

Chase

AFCnoob

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I feel fairly strongly that emoticons (the smiley graphics) would detract from the overall tone that has already been established on the forum. Don't get me wrong, I've read interesting, and even funny posts that have me laughing out loud, but I don't think we need actual images of faces laughing to convey this.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Sorry James, I'll have to agree with Chase here.

I think the emoticons tend to detract from the integrity of the board (and I have been on MANY different forum boards in the past). If this was a forum board about video games, or sports, or some particular hot woman (i.e. a "fan site") like Kate Beckinsale or Scarlett Johansson, then emoticons don't really detract from the overall "low" seriousness level of it.

Personally, for a board like this, I think "clean and professional" is a better approach.

- Franco

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
AFCnoob, Franco - thanks for the replies. Glad to know I'm not crazy in preferring no smileys.

James, forgot to thank you for the suggestion. I DO appreciate that you want to make the forum a better / cooler / funner place! If you have (or anybody has) other suggestions, don't be afraid to make them.

Cheers,
Chase

>