Long-Term  Two Year Drop/What To Do?

Ambiance

Modern Human
Modern Human
I am questioning my commitments to this girl, this angel that changed my life and shared so many magical days with me. The emotional side of me wants to hold onto her forever, stubbornly out of the love I have for her. The rational side of me wants to keep her around a bit longer while I get situated, and release her, since I don't see an ideal future with her and don't want to waste her time or have her get in the way of things I must do. Either way, it sucks.

If I give into my love, I lose much of the future I want. If I leave her, I seriously hurt her and myself, and knowing me, never fully get over it. It is this quirk about me, where I do not accept certain things. I'm still furious with myself for losing my high school crush, for instance. I understand why it happened, and don't even think we would have lasted, but not getting something I desperately wanted kills me. Losing my girlfriend would leave a deeper scar than the high school girl. Here's a girl who is exactly what I want in so many ways, and I got her and made her mine and had so many blissful times with her. I let my guard down, and heavily bonded with her, and by the time I started seeing things I wasn't okay with it was too late.

I will be so bitter if after all the magic I have felt it doesn't work. I know there are fantastic girls out there for me that are more in line with what I want, that I could love as much as my girlfriend (though honestly I don't want to fall in love like this again, it is such a huge weakness). But my emotions don't want to hear it, and the few times I have broken things off with my girlfriend after refusing to submit to something, my emotions take over and I get her back. So something has to give. Either I give up my ambitions and settle with a girl I adore but has some problems, or I take a massive hit to my psyche. I can't keep dragging her along in this purgatory of a relationship I have created. It's killing her.

I guess I want some perspective. Obviously there is no perfect girlfriend, and if/when you settle down you must learn to live with certain things (not that I am fully settling down if I stay with her, but I'm at the point where she needs more commitment per the 2 year drop). I want to know if these issues are something you would tolerate if they were part of the package of an otherwise fantastic girl you loved and had great chemistry with :
- history of anxiety/depression (seems like all girls have this at least a little bit, but maybe I am making excuses for my gf)
- low class family, and all the poor financial and otherwise decision-making that comes along with it
- incongruent sex drive (in her case low; we average a little over 7x/week, but it is always me initiating and I often meet resistance)
- obsessed with her dog (I really don't want/like pets)
- worldview differences (I am a strong atheist who has great disdain for the religious, she is a faltering yet stubborn christian)
- doesn't workout/dress up enough (she doesn't really need makeup since she is naturally beautiful, but I wish she put more effort in, and while she is slim now I don't trust anyone to stay that way who aren't physically active)

(originally posted in my journal, though wanted some input/advice so expanded and posted again here)

topcat

Modern Human
Modern Human
Your emotions will be fine.

There is no real reason to stay with somebody who isn’t ideal for the sake of sparing your emotions. No disrespect but that is arch weakness and will do you no favours in the long run. Face the fear, let the girl go, if you truly know she isn’t ideal for you.

You will never get your time back..

Think..what woman would respect a man who stays in a relationship purely because he fears the emotions he will feel should he leave? She wants a man who is with her because he loves and respects her.

If you choose to let her go though, do it righteously, with care and kindness for who she is and what she means to you. That way when your feelings do rise up, you can rest assured that you left her in a good way.

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
What you are going through is normal, but yes is time to let her go is really tough but you know is something that will eventually happen... you will find a better partner for yourself and she will find one more suitable for her, but there is too much friction for this relationship to be successful

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
7X a week on sex is not Low Interest. 1x a week is. We distain what we do not appreciate...

Take a week and go do something with out her. Abstain from talking to her for the entire week. If you still feel the points you have listed are true then you should cut her loose.

672584.png

>