FU  What are you asking?

TheEcho

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Hey all!

Small interaction. Was in the grocery store around noon on a weekday and I see this cute girl enter (she's looking down), so I wanted to create a situation she can observe me "first". Later, I'm in an aisle and I see her out of the corner of my eye paused at the aisle end, and she starts coming in. I start heading out and open her from the side:

Me: So what brings you in?
Her: *quietly*What?
Me: What brings you in?
Her: What are you asking? *almost annoyed*
Me: What. brings. you. in.
Her: Uhh... groceries?
Me: For parents, family, or...?
Her: *rolls eyes and walks away*

She didn't look to be in a rush and her age was questionable (highschoolers are out at all times of day/week around here...), so I didn't want to be too direct. Her hampering the conversation threw me off, so by the time she answered, I had little useful to say, as seen above. I know my voice was clear, having been talking to others for a while just previously. I imagine this may be one of the examples of a horny girl being hostile? My voice was decent, I'm dressed in nice gym clothes and have a pump from the gym, I did hunch onto my cart handle, so not perfect, but hardly seemed worthy of basic hostility.

My thoughts: Should've been standing upright to start, let her come to me in the aisle, and should've opened with something like "shouldn't you be in school?" to tease and put me in position of authority while finding out quickly if she is too young or not. As for what happened, not sure how to follow up an obfuscation like this.

Any other thoughts on dealing with a girl being really difficult like this? Should I have just been direct to start, damn the age worries? (Obviously I'd bow out if she was too young). I did think her shirt looked nice, so could've opened with a compliment.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

BIGGUS DICKUS: PUSSY MAN

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey all!

Small interaction. Was in the grocery store around noon on a weekday and I see this cute girl enter (she's looking down), so I wanted to create a situation she can observe me "first". Later, I'm in an aisle and I see her out of the corner of my eye paused at the aisle end, and she starts coming in. I start heading out and open her from the side:

She didn't look to be in a rush and her age was questionable (highschoolers are out at all times of day/week around here...), so I didn't want to be too direct. Her hampering the conversation threw me off, so by the time she answered, I had little useful to say, as seen above. I know my voice was clear, having been talking to others for a while just previously. I imagine this may be one of the examples of a horny girl being hostile? My voice was decent, I'm dressed in nice gym clothes and have a pump from the gym, I did hunch onto my cart handle, so not perfect, but hardly seemed worthy of basic hostility.

My thoughts: Should've been standing upright to start, let her come to me in the aisle, and should've opened with something like "shouldn't you be in school?" to tease and put me in position of authority while finding out quickly if she is too young or not. As for what happened, not sure how to follow up an obfuscation like this.

Any other thoughts on dealing with a girl being really difficult like this? Should I have just been direct to start, damn the age worries? (Obviously I'd bow out if she was too young). I did think her shirt looked nice, so could've opened with a compliment.

Thanks all!
I feel Iike “so what brings you in?” Is asking for value instead of giving it. You want information from her when she doesn’t know you at all. That’s why she was irked. If you gave value, like with a compliment or showed value like with the shouldnt be in school line (You challenging her with that rude yet flirtatious remark shows your a high value man, it shows you don’t follow polite social rules and your an little bit of an asshole instead), then she probably would have been more receptive.

Best,

BHL

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Hey all!

Thanks all!
Did you smile engagingly? Interactions that trip up immediately are usually because of vibe and calibration issues and not what you said.

Definitely though the follow up asking who the groceries were for was a bit awkward and a dead end. Usually best to comment on something about her and avoid talking about indirect things that are not immediately part of the scene you're both in.

HoofHearted

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I don't usually like to start with a question. Questions, I feel, shift the weight onto the other person.

I do like to open with an observartion, or because I'm catty, a tease or something funny, and I also have the right vibe to break a lot of social rules (I am naturally eccentric, and grew into it well). I would ask a question if it's funny/a joke or tease.

Produce: "Checkin out the melons, eh?"
Dairy: "Don't! You're lactose intolerant!"
Meat: "Nice slab."

For your case here, I feel like "hi" would've been pretty golden.

But I also think this was just a no go anyways, as most approaches are. Go do your other 9 and you'll be fine.

Love u

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
She reacted like that because she didn’t get why you were talking to her. You needed to get her attention before you shot off your question.

Edit: Caveat, by get her attention I mean, greet her, in a way you’d greet any stranger you wanna start a conversation with. Could be nonverbally, could be a hey.

Edit: Just to further clarify for anybody who might misunderstand. I don’t mean barge in, say hey, then ask a question. What I mean is, you can maybe look over, catch her eye, then say hey or smile. In the same way that everyday people greet eachother when out and about.

Last edited:
>