Apologies for the Site Outages...

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Site's been down most of the past 24 hours; my apologies for this, gents.

We've got some weird thing happening with one of our databases where it's overloading the server and making it crash. Our host's been trying to optimize our DBs since yesterday, and we've just tacked another 8 GB of RAM onto the server so hopefully that keeps us live until we can get that all sorted out.

Anyway, if you see anything else funky in the meantime... that's probably why :/

Chase

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
All right, we've traced the route of the problem to a DDOS someone's launched against the site.

I'm going to put us back on website security, but that may mean difficulties posting comments on the main site and issues with getting logged out on the forums for a day or two. Our security provider noted before that they'd work with us to get these resolved, so let's see if the second time 'round we can't make it work.

Chase

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
We're all set up with Sucuri to manage site security now, and funneling traffic through their cloud proxy. So shouldn't see any further DDoS caused interruptions.

However, I will note that the last time we turned on Sucuri, we had problems with people not being able to log in on the forums and/or repeatedly being signed out of their accounts, as well as people not being able to post comments on the main site. I'm unsure if Sucuri has since resolved these issues since it's been the better part of 8 months since we've used them.

If you run into these issues, please do let us know, as I spoke with Sucuri before and they assured us these issues could be fixed.

So, if you see them, tell Franco or me and we'll make sure they get resolved ASAP!

Chase

fsc

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I encounter this message every time I try to edit my post on the forums

PnajxrL.png

ray_zorse

Modern Human
Modern Human
I find "refresh" to be an okay workaround to this error.
cheers, Ray
edit: but the search feature does not work at all and continuously returns the error, likely fix is to do what the error message says I think

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
fsc & Ray-

Turns out this was a corrupted table in our database - probably happened during the database optimization our host was doing before we identified the problem we were experiencing was a DDoS and not a DB issue.

Our host has just informed us that they have successfully repaired this table, so you shouldn't encounter this problem anymore when trying to make new posts or edit old ones.

Chase

>