Can a Sigma Successfully Merge Into a Group?

zenchill

Rookie
Rookie
I'm currently facing a unique situation that I've never really dealt with before.

Here's a little background about me to give context to the situation:

I'm a natural born sigma. Meaning, I've never really wanted followers. From a young age I didn't like it when others would try to follow me, rather I would pick and choose who I made friends with and I would talk to whoever struck my interest. When I would hang with groups, I would be good buddies with the alpha while being fairly distant from most members in the group. Thus I came in at high value, and everyone treated me well.

I even had my own group as an alpha when I was in middle school, but because no one in my group went to my school and they were one year younger than me, I let the group go when I got into high school as I became obsessed with a game called Counter-Strike, and that was the beginning of my road to becoming a computer nerd. As I went on to University, I still maintained my sigma lifestyle. Going in and out of multiple groups as I pleased and always coming in at high value whenever I decided to join group activities.

I've also created my own online groups such as clans before, but I never held onto them. I would always let them go and move on to other things.

After I graduated from University, an alpha from one of the groups I hung out with started hitting me up a lot to hang with me since he now lived in the same city as me. I regularly hung out with this group for many years. During all this time I never consciously knew about social status and all this pick up stuff. Just subconsciously I was able to retain high value while sticking with this group because I remained emotionally distant from everyone while being best buddies with the alpha.

Anyways about 6 years ago I went through personal trials and entered a dark period. I had two main groups that I used to see on a regular basis, but I stopped socializing for an entire year, ended up not talking to anyone during that time. Since then I now find myself in an uncertain situation. For the first time ever, I went back to one of my main groups, and I find myself wanting to stay attached to this group for the long run. But I also see and experience now the ugliness of social status games. This is something I haven't had to deal with before since I never fully merged into a group before. I'm not vying for alpha status with this group. I'm also the strong silent type and usually provide more of a strong presence rather than verbally trying to dominate situations.

What I want now is to be seen as someone who is not the alpha of the group, but is high status and doesn't have to play the social status games that everyone in the middle plays. Is it possible to be someone seen as a regular member of a group with high value, and not subject to being cut down by other members? Is there a way for a Sigma to be a regular part of a group, but still maintain that sense of independence and high status?

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
The strength of what you call a sigma is the ability to float between social groups. At times it can feel like a "Man without a country" but the payoff is the freedom to not be beholden to any one group. Alphas tend to not view you as a threat because you aren't trying to unseat them. It then becomes a "mutual admiration society" where you are each other's social proof. It also helps if you bring some "followers" into the group. That way you are adding some value.

Sometimes the group dynamic changes after you leave, so you are starting over establishing yourself and your reputation. Cody Jinks said it well:

I stopped by a place I used to know
But nobody knew my name
And I felt out of place and out of time
But I had one just the same
The new bartender did not seem to care
About a story of back then
It's gettin' hard to find 'em, have you seen 'em?
I'm lookin' for a friend

Hector Papi Castillo

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
What I want now is to be seen as someone who is not the alpha of the group, but is high status and doesn't have to play the social status games that everyone in the middle plays. Is it possible to be someone seen as a regular member of a group with high value, and not subject to being cut down by other members? Is there a way for a Sigma to be a regular part of a group, but still maintain that sense of independence and high status?

Most important things here are

1. Don't overtly challenge the alpha or those competing for alpha. In fact, be ultra-nice to everyone and if there's ever drama, be an amused observer. You should still be privy to drama and learn how to discuss it (an essential skill of any social circle, cuz there's ALWAYS drama and if you're keen to it, it means you're '"in the know"). And for sure never START drama (but if someone is a dick to you, of course, be ready to burn the circle to the ground if you need to defend yourself).

2. Be as high value or higher value than the alphas

If you're higher value, usually ppl will want to give you the reigns, but if you're able to make guys not feel intimidated or if you're equal value with the top guy, then you can enjoy all the fruits of the social circle without too many costs.

Hector

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
A sigma, is a guy that can take over groups and be charismatic and extroverted if he chooses too, which is the key word(choice)..... I am not sure if you are really a sigma or you have some sigma tendencies.... The sigma rather be by himself instead of being part of the hierarchy of the group, he does his own thing, with people, women etc... He is not concern with such things as your last paragraph....

Examples of sigma members are Tony D, cosy (cost of success) aka cody (forgot the name)... (i am also a narcissistic, cocky sigma), Steve Jabba is a sigma too...

Last edited:

DakenMarquis

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey guys! My question to ya'll would be, if you default to Sigma, does that hurt your leadership skills? I'd prefer to have great leadership skills when necessary but be okay with not being the alpha.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Short answer to OP is YES - definitely. You can even depose the former alphas of the group if you are strong enough and have the inclination.

In general, sigma can be said just as much to be a role as a trait. If you are a generally dominant and socially competent guy, you will be a sigma outside your core group if you have one. So perhaps it makes more sense to talk about an alpha strategy (rule your group) vs a sigma strategy (enter another group as a perceived high-ranking guy).

I have written about this before: https://www.girlschase.com/content/sigma-male-alternative-being-alpha-male

I have probably refined my views on this a bit the later years.

Some people will gravitate to being sigma because they are less interested in constant socialization or do not like responsibility for any fixed group. The great poster PureEvil pointed out that the sigma role may be a transition phase toward an alpha role with age as many guys want to take more responsibility with time.

Also if you show leadership skills as a sigma, people will often ask you to lead. Most people are just followers who want to be told what to do by a more competent person.

The state of Russia was actually founded when a group of Slavic tribes asked a travelling Viking from Sweden to establish order.

Grand Pooba

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hey guys! My question to ya'll would be, if you default to Sigma, does that hurt your leadership skills? I'd prefer to have great leadership skills when necessary but be okay with not being the alpha.

I don't think it hurts your leadership skills, as both roles are powerful leadership positions. The difference here may be how the power is focused - as Sigmas are lone wolves and therefore a bit more self centered, whereas Alphas lead others and are thus naturally more extroverted.

DakenMarquis

Space Monkey
space monkey
Ah that makes sense: pointing out the difference like that. As far as leadership is concerned, is there any validity to channeling group energy? Been in a few situations lately & it seems that intuitively I seem to end up being a grounding force/leading interactions (without meaning to). What is going on? Haha

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Also agree - absolutely. The best move is to befriend the alpha as quickly as possible, and go from there. Once he's on your side, his followers will be down with you. Then if you befriend all the followers individually. This establishes a positive feedback loop (everyone sees your value rapidly increasing from social proof), and you quickly become considered as another alpha in the group.

That said, it's not too often that sigma's have a desire to take control of the group, unless it serves the sigma. There's a lot of times leading the group is more work (to keep the party going) than the pleasantries of being the leader allow. "What's the point?" is a question a sigma might ask themselves when deciding if they want to position themselves to carry responsibility of the group... even if temporarily.

Being a sigma is pretty liberating if you respect the role. You've got no one to report to except yourself. However, if you can't immediately create new situations that bring you enjoyable connections with other people, don't be surprised if you occasionally find yourself lonely.

Hue

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Ah that makes sense: pointing out the difference like that. As far as leadership is concerned, is there any validity to channeling group energy? Been in a few situations lately & it seems that intuitively I seem to end up being a grounding force/leading interactions (without meaning to). What is going on? Haha
That's a great sign this is happening to you without your intention. You are probably higher value or perceived to be higher value than some of the people you're socializing with and they instinctively take notice.

Some groups are also without good leaders. Then a sigma rolls up and they're quick to befriend the guy and position him as the leader without the sigma even trying.

>