Dark Triad Personality Test Results (Post your results!)

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Test looks like a gimmick to me. First of all it's very short - to get a proper read on things you have to ask a lot of different questions from different angles that aren't clearly the same question.

The questions themselves come straight out of a Robert Greene laws of power book, and the way they are phrased is very dramatic and makes you feel competitive to be more dark triad than not.

It takes logical questions and turns them into motivations. For example I strongly agreed with the question 'everyone can be manipulated' but it never asked if they should be.

Also it takes marginal situations and turns them into absolutes. For example the question 'I like to take revenge on authorities'. In what context? How have they done you wrong? What authority do they hold? What are the consequences for taking revenge or not taking revenge? The test will clearly skew you far more toward dark triad simply for imagining worst case scenarios.

So yeah, I wouldn't put too much authority in it.

JamisPo

Rookie
Rookie
Test looks like a gimmick to me. First of all it's very short - to get a proper read on things you have to ask a lot of different questions from different angles that aren't clearly the same question.

The questions themselves come straight out of a Robert Greene laws of power book, and the way they are phrased is very dramatic and makes you feel competitive to be more dark triad than not.

It takes logical questions and turns them into motivations. For example I strongly agreed with the question 'everyone can be manipulated' but it never asked if they should be.

Also it takes marginal situations and turns them into absolutes. For example the question 'I like to take revenge on authorities'. In what context? How have they done you wrong? What authority do they hold? What are the consequences for taking revenge or not taking revenge? The test will clearly skew you far more toward dark triad simply for imagining worst case scenarios.

So yeah, I wouldn't put too much authority in it.
What will you say about this https://drdeenz.com/dark-triad-test/

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder

I don't know much about it but looking at the first example question "I try to find a balance between being honest and using tact." that's a lot more of a neutral question that's likely to get a more accurate answer compared to something that uses dramatic and provocative phrasing.

You want someone to answer when they are in a calm and neutral state where they are least likely to be motivated to express some emotionally driven idea about who they are. People typically go to personality tests because they want to reinforce some notion of who they are, so they are already biased toward answering a certain way.

I don't know how long personality tests are supposed to be but as I understand it, they should ask a lot of questions that are similar but slightly different so you can cross examine them to see what is consistent. It's the same way interrogators find out what's truth and what's not: you ask a question, get an answer, get the person's mind off the topic with other questions and then you drop in another seemingly innocuous question related to the first one that they don't realize will show a contradiction, then you can pressure them on the inconsistency.

I've also noticed that in psychology there's a strong association between casual sex and psychopathy (it was a question in the first test) which strikes me as a bit strange. I can understand the impulsivity aspect of it and how that might relate, but what if you love sex and want to give women a great time, does that make you a psychopath? Wouldn't all dudes jump on an opportunity to have a ons with a hot girl, does that make them all closet psychopaths? It's only when you look at it from the perspective of someone who is extremely conformist and possessed by social norms that you could draw a direct line from casual sex to psychopathy. But social norms are in themselves very artificial and not very revealing of someone's true nature.

Personally, I think a lot of psychology and psychiatry is complete bs and says a lot more about the people and organizations peddling them than it does about its subjects. As far as personality tests go, what seems to me to be most useful is the Big Five, though I'm not really familiar with any specific test that I think is good.

fog

Modern Human
Modern Human
there is 3 dimensionality to this rudimentary test

its a snapshot of who you are in the moment, how you perceive the current moment. just because you got a certain test score in the moment doesnt mean youll get the same test score when you retake it.

i view it as interesting to get into certain states, then take a test in each state you are in to measure your influential abilities in each state. like for example, being in a state of no humility will certainly get you higher points on the NARC scale

matheth

Space Monkey
space monkey
Machiavellianism 3.6
Narcissism 3.1
Psychopathy 3.8

Bro wtf are these scores, I thought I would score much lower 😢

>