FORUM UPGRADE ETA: New Forum Premieres Later in May

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey Chase,
Looks like we had not set chat permissions.
It would be neat if I could turn off the notifications about new chat entries. Nothing against the chat itself, I just don't like to have too many notifications. Which the new forum in general gives plenty of fine tuning options for. I like zen.

How do either of these color schemes look, gents?
That said I suggest you to own it and decide the color for yourself as chief designer of the project. :p

Hey, and thanks for all the work, time, effort and money you put into this... which I suspect very well could be three times the time, effort, and money compared to going with a simpler, leaner, sexier solution which I would have certainly done. Come on, I said it 6 months or so ago that this Xenforo looks like a forum built by IT guys for IT guys. I mean no real humans needs that many fine tuning options for their friendly forum community to be able to use it comfortably. Who knows, maybe we are all secret IT guys here. :)

Using the forum for like 12 hours I've found many of these intricate fine-tuning options from the admin side to have been set up in a sub-optimal fashion. I'm sure with time you guys figure out the more optimal setup for those things. But hopefully without my intervention. :)

Hey, this is how I sound when I'm constructive. It's just who I am or my cultural background or whatever.

Last edited:

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Using the forum for like 12 hours I've found many of these intricate fine-tuning options from the admin side to have been set up in a sub-optimal fashion. I'm sure with time you guys figure out the more optimal setup for those things. But hopefully without my intervention. :)
The previous version showed our location to the world if we shared it.

SexNotValidation

Space Monkey
space monkey
Gonna be cool to see you on here more, Alek (Teevster)!

@SexNotValidation,

Oh yeah.. what is going on with that?

You should be able to click on the username and then click "Start a Conversation."

Seems it isn't there now.

Haseeb's already turned in for the day (it's 10 PM his time, and he was at a good 11+ hours today) but we will get this fixed tomorrow.

I'll ask Haseeb tomorrow when he's back on.

We still have the old forum so should be able to recover that draft for you.

Chase

hi Chase

any updates on the draft?

is there any way to recover it?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Okay, both crimson and brown versions of the theme are available now.

To switch between them, use the theme switcher located at the bottom left of the forum.

Also, Alchemist has been kind enough to add a dark mode theme here.

We'll see about getting an in-house one you can switch to easily without installing anything added. For now, if you want one immediately, you can grab it there.

@SexNotValidation,

Draft is here.

@Space,

I'm checking with Haseeb on whether there's a way to disable chat.

And we should be able to add location back in. That's important, I agree.

Hey, this is how I sound when I'm constructive. It's just who I am or my cultural background or whatever.

This is the same as when someone tells you "Not to sound like an asshole, but..." or "Not to blah blah [whatever he is], but..."

You know, when you know you're coming across in an unsociable way, but don't want to change that, and instead want others to accommodate themselves to you?

You're on a self-improvement website for the social arts.

You can figure out a way to express yourself without the sarcasm, needling, and not-so-subtle jabs.

Chase

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Some, but not all, emails are caught in the Gmail spam folder, maybe due to the word "Seducer".
Also I got an error message while trying to PM Chase (about bugs, ranks etc), so something is broken in this functionality.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@Carousel,

Yes, the spam trap thing's annoying.

It's due to sending from a new domain. New IP address, new domain; we haven't sent email from skilledseducer.com before.

Gmail doesn't recognize it, since it's new, so it's going to spam.

As guys sign up and hit the "Not Spam" button in Gmail on their confirmation emails and password reset emails and whatnot, these will start to make it into the inbox and stop hitting the spam trap.

Also I got an error message while trying to PM Chase (about bugs, ranks etc), so something is broken in this functionality.

It works. Just not for messaging me.

I've had PMs turned off here since we launched the boards in 2012.

Forum members can PM Franco directly (our head moderator), and if it absolutely needs to get to me he can pass to me.

Or if it's something I should see and it's fine to be public, they can post it in Off Topic, or the relevant threat to it, and ideally I'll see it.

You can also report things on the forum if there's a problem with a thread, etc.

But yeah, PMs for me are off.

Back when I was handling all email and everything directly myself until late 2011, I was absolutely drowning in email. I'd be getting 5-10 page-length messages from guys every day telling me their situations and asking for help. I'd try to respond to that stuff, spend half a day on it, then more email would roll in.

If you're the guy whose face is everywhere, in charge of running the show, and you let yourself be totally accessible, once you're past a certain amount of traffic it's never-ending.

Even for Franco, as head mod, he was getting way too many PMs at one point, and we had to put a global announcement up about PM'ing moderators (which we need to recreate now, since it didn't carry over during the migration) to stem the tide.

Chase

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
@Space,

I'm checking with Haseeb on whether there's a way to disable chat.
Oh, I didn't suggest to disable the chat (I can simply log out for that) but to simply disable notifications while being logged in as I've disabled other notifications. It would be also neat if I could remove the chat from showing up from the bottom of the page. The whole page looks like a Christmas tree lit up for my personal taste at least, not exactly conductive of say, composing a well thought-out post. Which is still one of the main reason the forum is for I guess, for people to compose well thought out posts.

Do we need the chat logs? As most seduction chats which are on WhatsApp or Telegram aren't logged on a central server for eternity as far as I understand. Or are they? Maybe people would talk more freeIy in that environment though it's safe to assume whatever you write on the Internet is logged by someone somewhere. I don't suggest to necessarily disable chat logs but the need for them is at least debatable.

But I'm sure you have better concerns than that for now, here is one: when selecting text in the composer the selection is a very light grey on a white background. Not very much visible.

About my conduct. That requires a longer answer, indeed, multiple answers across multiple threads. This is just how I am. But when do I have time for all that? This is my basic dilemma since I joined this community.

Last edited:

Starboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
About my conduct. That requires a longer answer, indeed, multiple answers across multiple threads. This is just how I am. But when do I have time for all that? This is my basic dilemma since I joined this community.
Bro what the hell are you talking about? The administrator of this website suggested not for you to make those snarky smartass remarks. It's not rocket science. Either comply with it or face possible disciplinary action down the line. Don't use the "it's just who I am" excuse. That's the lame excuse weak,lazy men use to justify their shortcomings, negative behavior,actions instead of improving themselves.

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
@Space...

Okay, not sure I follow on subsections then. Right now we have Section: "Lifestyle" --> Subsection 1: "Travel" --> nothing below this. Sounds like you are saying "Keep it as it is"? I talked with Alek and he suggested we eliminate the subsections, and bring those topics up into the main section. We can add tags to these in xenForo. So all the travel stuff will be in the Lifestyle board, with a big tag that says "Travel" next to it. Will be easy to search for that too.
@Chase

Now is the time to address your July question addressed to me as I just got the information:

I just watched this the other day: How To Get A Girlfriend - The Ultimate Guide For Landing A Hot Girlfriend. Though the title says girlfriend, girlfriend or friend with benefits is practically the same as far as the avenues go. The 4 main avenues, according to the video:
  1. Social circle
  2. Online dating
  3. Cold approach
  4. Public visibility
This is the basic logical breakdown. That these are the main avenues? Why he distinguishes these 4 while not distinguishing day game and night game you ask? I get that. Because when you go to a bar during happy hours time is it day game or night game? Approaching a party girl in the evening on the street even if it's not in front of the club, is it day game or night game? You see, the lines get blurry.
So let's say we had these 4 main categories somewhere (while keeping others such as Newbies, Advanced, Lifestyle, Sex, Relationships, Off). I imagine most of the activity took place in the Online Dating and Cold Approach forums while there would be far less action in the Social Circle and Public visibility forums. But for the few people who wanted to give an honest shot to the Social Circle and Public Visibility avenues they would get their "island" dedicated to their cause and wouldn't get lost in the sea of Online Dating and Cold Approach advice.

It's a little bit similar to how I've felt here a year ago the forum being too much US-centric while Girls Chase is supposed to be an international site with visitors from 90 countries. I still feel a little that way.

An idea on how to apply labels to the main categories.

The video distinguishes 8 things which prevents guys from attracting decent girls. In no particular order:
  1. Neediness
  2. Not going out
  3. Not approaching
  4. Sucks at conversation
  5. Not being sexual
  6. Not leading
  7. Not closing hard
  8. Bad text game - Messaging game, please
Though the exact categories may be different for the Girls Chase method I think this list is a good starting point to applying labels to the main categories as a new "dimension" so to speak. I personally would find my forum life to be much more effective, hopefully being less lost in forum bankruptcy and be able to focus on discussion that is to the point.

Last edited:

ThePhoenix

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Nice to see the attention to the forums! More modern look, very clean.

Iʼm now going to temporarily remove my “budding seducer” cap and don my “beta tester from Hell” cap. XD

1. BUG: Most Existing Reports Not Prefixed

It seems like the import script made some kind of attempt to extract the prefixes from the titles of the existing field reports, but failed badly. The odd one it has prefixed, but most it has not.

As well as looking a bit messy, this interferes with the search functionality.

The bulk of the reports it hasnʼt prefixed do follow the usual title convention of the two letter code, colon, space, and title. It should be quite easy for a script to fix these.

2. MAJORLY USEFUL FEATURE: Minimum Rank to See Your Photo

I propose a feature that would be quite useful for those wanting to get feedback on photos but a little worried about putting their face out there: make it possible for a poster to choose, for a given post, a minimum rank required to view the images in the post. (This should be selectable per‑post, not per‑user, since the same user may want to post other images that are not sensitive.) A user browsing the forum who doesnʼt have that rank would be able to read the post but not see the images.

Obviously, setting the required rank too high might preclude getting much advice, but itʼs up to the poster to decide what compromise they are comfortable with.

Myself, I have pics I would really like to get feedback on, but I wouldnʼt want to post them unless I could set a minimum of the new rank 3. If I canʼt post them, I instead end up having to explain them in excruciating detail Iʼm afraid nobody will read — a picture truly does tell 1000 words!

3. MINOR RETROGRESSION: Inflexible Font Sizes

Probably not worth fixing, but for completeness:

In the [size= n ] BBcode tag, the meaning of n has changed from a percentage to a number between 1 and 7. This makes it impossible to manually encode other sizes, which was occasionally useful. It also makes the interpretation of n quite arbitrary, which is bad from a software design perspective and could complicate future software migrations.

One particular example where this actually screwed up a post is this Field Report of mine from a while back. In the large “ramble” paragraph near the top, I had used BBcode to gradually decrease the font size from normal to almost illegible, and this was a quite intentional allusion to the Star Wars opening text that rolls off into oblivion. In the new board, the effect was totally ruined. Well, I suppose thatʼs what I get for using features in unintended ways. XD

Iʼve found I can get a reasonably similar effect by combining font size and colour changes, at least assuming the post background colour is always white. There are no replies on that post so maybe I should just repost a fixed version and then have Franco delete the original and change the new oneʼs date to the original date... is it possible to change the date on a thread?

4. BUG: Poor Font Size Migration

The migration did a poor job of converting from font size percentages to the new preset sizes.

For instance, [size=120] should have traslated to [size=5], since normal text is 15px, and 120% of that is exactly 18px, which is the next preset size up. But instead, it got translated to [size=4], which is the same size as normal paragraph text. Likewise, [size=150] shouldʼve translated to [size=6] but was instead set to [size=5].

Iʼve got about 60 posts affected by this; some now look like an endless wall of paragraphs because the section titles blend in with the rest of the text. And I know Iʼm not the only user who was using font sizes. Well, maybe me and ZacAdam... ;P

The ideal solution would be to mass delete the old posts, migrate the posts from the last week to percentages and change the board to use percentages, then re-migrate the old posts, and this time, they wouldnʼt need any adjustments to their size tags, so itʼd be guaranteed theyʼd be correct. But thatʼs a fair bit of work to rescue the formatting of some minority of posts.

5. ISSUE: Non-Breaking Space No Longer Honored

I often insert the Unicode character U+00A0 ‘NO‑BREAK SPACE’ instead of a regular space in places where the typesetting would become messy or a phrase would not read as clearly if the browser happened to wrap to the next line at that particular space.

This used to work with the boardʼs old sofware, but it seems to be broken now. Web browsers understand this character by themselves (I just confirmed in Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera, and IE), so in order for this to have broken, there must be some code somewhere that is intentionally filtering it out and switching it to a normal space. I strongly suggest it should not do that.

Iʼve further determined that itʼs being done somewhere in the code that accepts a post, not the code that shows it. I know because I just checked one of my old posts, which would have been inserted directly into the database through some kind of import script, therefore bypassing the “accept post” code, and the non‑breaking spaces are fine in it.

That post is here; in the line reading, “Well, I go nuts for South Sudanese chicks”, there is a non‑breaking space between “South” and “Sudanese”. If you resize your browser window so that “Sudanese” is at the very end of a line, you can see this in action by trying to split “South” and “Sudanese” by further reducing the windowʼs width. They wonʼt break up no matter what you do; the pair of words will move to the next line together. This was by design; I wanted to emphasize that I was referring to a country whose name is South Sudan, not a region of the country named Sudan.

I find itʼs pretty common to run into situations in English where depending on the cadence of the speech, it could be taken different ways, and I tend to use non‑breaking spaces to avoid the reader being more likely to imagine the wrong cadence, making the sentence less clear. Thus I use these all over the place! lol

6. ISSUE: Chat Notifications

I second that having these display at the bottom of topic pages is annoying.

7. FEATURE: The Smilies Never Laugh

Since there are graphical smilies, itʼs a wonder thereʼs no XD or something like that... eyes closed laughing / LMAO / ROFL type thing.

“Whyyyyyy soooooo... serious?” (LMAO, sorry, just had to.)

8. USE CASES: Edit Time Wíndow

While Iʼm not specifically opposed to increasing the edit time window, I do have to caution those who rely on it heavily, that most people are only gonna read your post once. That means that if you edit after posting, the fraction of people who will have read only the unedited version increases with the length of time before you make the edit. I think thatʼs part of the rationale of a time limit.

A better solution is to proofread your posts more carefully. As with anything I publish, I normally donʼt make a post to the forum without a really careful proofread. (The odd time I might get a little sloppier if Iʼm facing an “oh my God this girl just texted me XYZ, how should I respond” type situation, but not usually.) Basically, I wonʼt publish anything without a proofread in which I did not need to change anything at all. If when I get to the bottom Iʼve made even the slightest change, I read it again. Sometimes that means I donʼt post it until the next day because Iʼm too tired or donʼt have the time to read it again right then. And then the next day I realize I need to change it a lot! Well, itʼs just Creative Writing 101. :)

There is, however, one situation where it would be useful for there to not be any time restriction on editing posts. Iʼve occasionally linked to example photos that I donʼt own or host, and after some time those links die sometimes. But itʼs too minor to bother Franco to update them, so I just leave the links dead. (It would be possible to implement a feature whereby after some time, users could still edit links in a post but nothing else; however, I expect that would require custom coding, so probably not worth the bother.)

9. BUG: The Strangest Bug EVER

In the title of the preceding section, the accent in “Wíndow” was not a typo or my trying to be clever. I had to misspell the word in order for the board software to accept this post! (Donʼt ask how many hours I blew figuring that out...)

For those with admin access, try the following:
  1. Grab the entire text of this post as BBcode.
  2. Begin posting a new thread to Off Topic. (May need to be a regular user for this; not sure.)
  3. In the message composer, press the gear in order to go into BBcode mode.
  4. Paste in this postʼs BBcode text.
  5. Press the Preview button. Observe that you see a preview below the edit box.
  6. Find the word “Wíndow” and change it to “Window”.
  7. Press the Preview button again. You will probably be greeted with an error box reading:
    Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.
The problem went away if I removed the [SIZE=5] and [U] tags from the title, and its appearance also seemed to depend on the extent of text below the title. In fact, I have also since seen the same thing happen where the word “Window” occurrs at the end of any text enclosed by BBcode tags, but not always, and I havenʼt been able to figure out the exact conditions that trigger it.

The best explanation I can think of, is that the word “Window” is a special word in some programming languages. That really should not matter at all, because a forum post is not program code. However, there could be some really bizarre bug wherein under specific conditions the BBcode text of a post could be interpreted as program code. Apart from being an annoyance, there is some chance this could represent a security hole.

10. USER ADVICE: Missing Drafts: Donʼt Rely On Them!

Just a tip — and this applies on all forums: donʼt draft your posts in the web interface. Write them as local files in a text editor instead. It does mean you have to format manually with BBcode (itʼs not hard once you see how it works), but the advantages are many. Youʼll never lose your draft due to a connection problem, site upgrade, etc. Youʼll never accidentally post something incomplete. Youʼll also have your own copy of all your posts. You can even keep different backup versions in case you want to try out some changes in direction while you draft your post.

11. RANDOM THOUGHT: Human Before Monkey?

Shouldnʼt the first level be less evolved than a monkey? :) Maybe a lizard or something. Orrrr... an embryo, which conveniently leaves out how evolved of an animal it is, and still conveys the sense of being a brief initial phase. If you like the idea, I volunteer to draw the icon if need be. :)

Cheers!
Phoenix

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@ThePhoenix,

I had no idea some of that stuff was possible with BBcode!

I've asked Haseeb to review your post and give me his thoughts on these points.

Yes, deleting and re-importing old posts would be a good bit of work. We've made some edits here and there as well (e.g., to old announcements and stickies, etc.). So not sure how feasible that is. I know it's frustrating losing the sizing and formatting on older posts. I'll see what Haseeb has to say.

On the photo thing -- unless there is a plugin to do this I'm not aware of, the easiest way is probably a "photos forum" that only allows Rank 2 or higher members. I'm not sure how much demand there is for this, and am wary of adding forums that won't see much use. Although maybe that'd be a subforum... where would we put that if we did something like that? In "General"?

The "window" bug is very weird.

Also, yeah, I have no idea how exactly you figured that out... just trying to imagine the process makes me want to close my laptop screen.

Human baby before the chimpanzee: that's a good point, the baby is sort of not a perfect fit there.

Done; Rank 0 is now a monkey with a tail.

EDIT TO ADD: on field reports, I think we had the edit window disabled somehow briefly and users were able to freely edit posts going back as far as they want. I think one or two guys edited their old reports during that window, which is why there are some older ones with tags. We have not actually switched any old reports to tags yet on the backend; we're looking into what sort of database queries we'd need to run to do that (especially since not all posters used the same format... there is "FR: title", "FR title", "FR - title", etc.). But this is something we're going to do, get all the old reports switched over to tags to make them easily searchable and get everything better organized on the Field Reports Board.

Chase

Last edited:

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Also,how do you integrate a link behind a word like you just did
Ah. You are probably not familiar with how Internet forums work. Or Reddit and the like. I suggest you to ask the guys who run the forum to add a basic tutorial. Even though most of us were able to figure it out how to use it by ourselves it's a legitimate concern.
That said it's a little cumbersome to quote a double quote (a quote in a quote).

But I'm sure you have better concerns than that for now, here is one: when selecting text in the composer the selection is a very light grey on a white background. Not very much visible.
@ThePhoenix, this doesn't bug you? :) It's pretty bad for my eyes especially in the evening when my display turns into evening mode with a warmer color scale.

You should use it too.

Last edited:

ThePhoenix

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
@Chase -

Thank you for considering my ideas!

Restricted Photos

I do think posting photos for comment can be pretty useful. For instance, after sending a couple pics privately to fog, he spotted some important things I hadnʼt seen myself, as noted here. But I donʼt seem to see guys on here posting photos much, and I suspect thatʼs because weʼre a little skittish to have just anyone be able to see them, especially when associated with the rather private revelations we make on these boards.

I agree just creating a (sub)forum is by far the easiest solution. It does have two drawbacks, though: (i) Itʼs a bit poor in terms of organization, since it segregates photos into a separate place whereas it would have made sense for them to be in the relevant forum and/or prefix, like “On-Line” or “Fashion” or whatever. And, (ii) it would, I assume, mean that the less experienced guys would not have the option to be able to post restricted photos, which would somewhat reduce the usefulness.

Ok, so I was thinking. I wear many hats — writer, artist, voice actor, ... — brain kind of occupies the space where art and science/tech intersect. As such, I donʼt consider myself a programmer; nevertheless, I can do it in my sleep. I decided to have a quick look at the development API for Xenforo 2.0. Thatʼs what youʼre using, right? Fortunately, it looks like it has a quite good, well organized add‑on framework. I canʼt guarantee I can do this as I only had a very cursory look, but Iʼm thinking something like this may not be too hard to do:

Observe when you go to add an image in the post composer, there is a simple dialog box with a text box for the link and an Insert button. Imagine in there that thereʼs also a drop-down, with the first option as default:
Visible to everyone
Only Space Monkeys and up
Only Tool-Bearing Hominids and up
Only Cro-Magnon Men and up
If they leave this at the default, the usual BBcode is generated. If they pick the third option, for instance, it creates BBcode something like:
Code:
[IMG="rank: 2"]http://some.pic.link[/IMG]

When the post is being viewed, thereʼd be filter code that would change the image target depending on the user rank. In this example, for rank 2 and up, the image would be http://some.pic.link. If the user is below rank 2 or not logged‑in, then the image would change to, say, http://www.skilledseducer.com/images/refuse-img-view.png, and that would simply be a preset image of your choosing that might say “Sorry, you donʼt yet have enough reputation to view this image.”

Of course, that doesnʼt preclude a user who does have the required rank from subsequently sharing the link without the rank guard, but most posters should understand that. Since the guard is in the BBcode itself, simply quoting the OP wonʼt remove the restriction. (Actually, if the user doing the quoting doesnʼt have the needed rank, theyʼll be quoting your refusal image instead, but hey, Iʼm not a magician! :) )

One minor downside is that if a post is basically nothing but “what do you think of my pictures?” and a given user doesnʼt have the rank to see them, then that post is meaningless to said user even though he can see the post itself. OTOH, if the pictures are just an adjunct and there are other elements to the post or responses, then it may not be meaningless. Maybe have a “Photos” prefix and a house rule that you have to use that prefix if the post is basically nothing but photos.

Iʼd love to see this feature in the forum, and youʼve helped me significantly with women without my even having to buy anything, so if youʼd seriously consider using it, Iʼm willing to have a go at it and let you use it for free. (Well, I certainly wonʼt mind a donation if you see it fitting, though. :) ) This would be on an, “Iʼll see how easily I can do it, and Iʼll finish it as long as I donʼt run into any hurdles that are going to take a huge amount of time” basis.

Now, I have a habit of reinventing wheels at the drop of a hat, but I hate doing that, so if anyone reading knows of an add‑on that already solves this problem, by all means please chime in! I had a quick look, but when I can find the Developer API way quicker than I can find any existing solution, thatʼs when I go into “reinvent wheel” mode. XD

Also, maybe it would be worth holding a poll to see how many guys think this would be a useful feature, suggest easier alternatives, etc.

Non-Breaking Spaces

I should clarify that I wasnʼt using an HTML   or anything like that. I was just inserting it directly as a simple text character. You can do that, for instance, in Windows Wordpad by holding down [Ctrl]+[Shift] while pressing the spacebar. (I normally just copy my finished posts from Wordpad and paste into the forumʼs text input field.) If you can see this Chinese character, itʼs being inserted exactly the same way: 你.

Re-Importing Old Posts

Iʼm not sure but Iʼm assuming the board keeps a “last edit time” in the database. If it does, you could perhaps just exclude the recently edited posts from any sort of delete/re‑import operation, so you donʼt lose any of those recent touch‑ups.

Fixing Report Prefixes

If youʼre looking at doing it by database queries, an alternative you might consider if youʼre finding that unwieldy, would be to create a programmatic script that processes posts one‑by‑one. It may not run as fast as a query, but you can write in much more complex text parsing and logic that could easily deal with most of the present variations in post titles, save for maybe having to skip over a handful of true oddballs like:

FR/LR--(OR++) +[FU] ....... this girl - made me forget how to follow forum rules!!

Love the new monkey! Of course, the irony of the whole evolution theme is that I think most monkeys know more about seduction than most humans! XD

Cheers!
Phoenix

p.s., Thank you for taking the time to reply to my Africa post a while back. I was meaning to reply after putting some thought into it, but just then I quite unexpectedly made my first clean seduction, which shifted my priorities a lot at that point as I hadnʼt needed quite the raw volume I had expected. But Iʼm still kicking around that idea, as volume has proven to still be a big issue.

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
You probably know that the search function which is quite a core feature doesn't work for a while and Google haven't yet indexed the post I'm trying to find.

Also it seems I'm the only person who would use the highlight functionality for links editing but the highlight being very light gray on a white background doesn't help at all even in full daylight and I don't wear glasses. On all other sites on the Internet the highlight is medium blue which works well on a white background.

Thanks, folks. :)

Last edited:

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
It's not so intuitive to make double quotes (a quote in a quote) here. Sometimes it's important for the context. Sure there must be a forum setting for that in your admin panel. If anyone cares about it. Anyone cares besides me?

ThePhoenix

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Also it seems Iʼm the only person who would use the highlight functionality for links editing but the highlight being very light gray on a white background doesnʼt help at all even in full daylight and I donʼt wear glasses. On all other sites on the Internet the highlight is medium blue which works well on a white background.
I just now figured out what youʼre talking about — the highlight background and post background are somewhat similar. I donʼt find it that hard, but I wouldnʼt have used those colours myself. As a workaround, note that if you switch to BBcode mode (the gear icon), you get the more usual blue highlight background. You can switch back after youʼve done your copy/paste stuff.

Itʼs not so intuitive to make double quotes (a quote in a quote) here.
Hadnʼt run into this yet but now that you mention it, yeah, you have to do it totally manually.

Speaking of quotes, another minor complaint is that you get the “Click to expand...” thing in quote blocks even where thereʼs no quoted user specified. As in, you just used [QUOTE]bla bla[/QUOTE]. On the old software it had been a long-standing and very common practice around here to use blocks like that to set off literal conversations with a girl, for instance. In those cases, it makes no sense for the content to be hidden by default, because itʼs always an integral part of the post, not something that we may have read before.

Donʼt get me wrong, I think “Click to expand...” is fine in the case where the quoted user has been specified, such as with:
[QUOTE="Space, post: 106817, member: 5376"]bla bla[/QUOTE]
In that case, it saves display space. Although if I had to choose between collapsing either both cases or neither case, Iʼd go with neither. On this forum, at least!

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
UPDATE: CHAT

For the guys asking for a way to disable chat -- here's how to do this (courtesy Haseeb):

screenshot-www.skilledseducer.com-2019.11.29-18_27_54.png
screenshot-www.skilledseducer.com-2019.11.29-18_25_29.png
screenshot-www.skilledseducer.com-2019.11.29-18_24_59.png

>