Girl wants to bring roommate to date... for a different reason than you'd think

MileHighTexan

Space Monkey
space monkey
Before you jump to any conclusions, hear me out.

Met 2 girls (let's call em Rebecca and Sarah, they're roommates) last Saturday at a cool bar in town. They were both awesome and talkative. Caught them on the way to go talk to a friend they spotted, so the conversation was pretty short, probably about 5 minutes. I move on and approach other girls. Fast forward an hour and a half, I catch these girls on the way out of the bar. Sarah says they're leaving, but "maybe I'll see you around. Do you come here often?" and of course I went in for the phone number right away.

Next day Sarah texts me first, apologizing for "being rude and walking away" when I was talking to them. I won't bore you with the details, but I set up a date a few texts later with ease.

I FB creeped on Sarah later that day (go ahead, judge me) to ENSURE she was single before moving forward. Believe it or not, a girl I recently went on TWO dates with told me she had a boyfriend AFTER the fact. Some girls really don't get it. And Sarah's so single she posted a rant about how she's sick of being single just a few days before. Okay, it's on. She wants it.

Earlier tonight I squared up logistics with her- we're meeting at a cool bar near her place tomorrow. Now here's where it gets weird.

Sarah called me about 3 hours later and said she had an "awkward request." And this awkward request had to do with Rebecca. See, Rebecca met a guy on Tinder and has a date tomorrow. Apparently Rebecca is nervous about it (understandable, given the nature of a thing like Tinder and the fact that girls are generally more cautious), and they're both new to my city. As we all know, girls look after their friends. And Sarah asked if Rebecca and this guy could come on our date tomorrow and make it a double date. I said yes and acted like it was no big deal (I can't just say no), but I feel really weird about it.

I would normally assume this means Sarah isn't interested. Bringing a friend along is a huge red flag. But Sarah has shown plenty of signs of interest otherwise, and I feel like if she didn't want to go on the date, then she wouldn't have agreed to it. Regardless of that, the date is on, and no backing out now. But having another couple there may be a big obstacle to me escalating with Sarah. I want to assume that Rebecca will have the decency to let things be between the two of us, being that she obviously knows Sarah is on the market and a guy just asked her on a date, but I don't know.

Really curious how I should handle this situation. Hoping to move things over to her place afterward, but wondering how to overcome obstacles.

Rebel

Space Monkey
space monkey
Re: Girl wants to bring roommate to date... for a different reason than you'd th

I've had something similar happen to me; this absolutely does NOT mean that Sarah is not interested.

Don't make it awkward. Be engaging with Rebecca and her date, but also spend alone time with Sarah.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Re: Girl wants to bring roommate to date... for a different reason than you'd th

MHT,

I agree with Rebel here. I don't have a lot of time, so I'll give you two suggestions based on the possible outcomes:

• 1) If Rebecca and the Tinder guy seem to be hitting it off (and he's not a creeper), then at some point during the date, just say something like the following to Sarah in private: "Hey Sarah, this guy seems cool to me and I think those two are hitting it off. Why don't we head to another place (coffee/bookstore/yogurt/drinks) down the street and give them some space? We'll be right around the corner in case anything happens." This way, you can get alone with Sarah later and still give her the comfort of knowing that you respect her wishes and are willing to remain close to her friend... but still out of sight so you can pull her home later. ;)

2) If Rebecca and the Tinder guy seem to totally not be interested in each other (or he IS a creeper), then you'll want to diffuse the situation as soon as possible because Sarah will be too worried about her friend to enjoy you, and she might even call off the entire date to "save" Rebecca. Suggest to Sarah that you two can come up with something to get the three of you out of there and to another place -- away from the Tinder guy. From there, if you're feeling lucky, you can try to convince both women to go home with you if they both seem to like you (wink wink). If you don't think that's possible though, then just tell Sarah in private that you'd like to take her somewhere else (that isn't suitable for a third wheel, possibly a movie or a walk in the park). From there, Sarah will probably get the hint and suggest to drop Rebecca off (or something of that nature). Then proceed as normal!

These are my suggestions! Good luck!

- Franco

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Franco with solid advice!

I just want to add another little bit, I ran a double first date with a friend (he had no car, and this was the only way for him to see his girl) and I had mentioned to him that my conditions were that he allow my girl and I to some alone time. We had lunch at a fancy mall restaurant the four of us and had fun together. After we ate it was decided my friend would take his girl to walk around the mall and I was taking my girl to the car to listen to some music (and have some fun ;) ).

My situation here was different as the other guy was a good friend of mine and also the girls did not know each other prior to the date.. Though if this guy is cool and smooth with his girl and you hit it off as friends and partners in crime then getting him to help out might not be a bad idea.

Use your discretion with this one and following Franco's advice alone should take care of things smoothly. Just wanted to put my two cents in on the topic and my experience of a double date gone well.

Merry Xmas Y'all
-J Wick

>