Hair Loss

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
Hey Guys,

I've been fighting this hair loss actively for close to a year now. My corners started receding about 3 years ago, but now it's started to get bad enough that when my hair is wet it looks like a landing strip. The rest of the time, my hair is thick enough and my barber talented enough it's not significantly noticeable. I've been recommended a couple times for various stylists in the past year to try ForHims and/or Rogaine, but my gut tells me not to.

I'm 29 now and growing up I was always the guy with the thickest mane so that may be why this has been difficult for me to get over.

A couple of months ago I did cut it short because I've read the best way to cope is to do just that but IMO it looked pretty bad. So now my hair is mid-length again, but carefully styled.

I did just pull the trigger on ForHims, but I still feel meh about it because of what it means long term( haven't used it yet).

I'm probably the person that notices it the most, but still it's a mental roadblock I've been unable to dodge for the past 6-9 months.

Thanks,

-Lotus

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Anything you need to know about hair loss you will find out with boytoy aka moreplates more dates... Follow his stuff, maybe a consultation with him...

Cody Lyans

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I just cut it all off and went bald. To me it was about showing off my nice shaped head over showing of a totally normal hair phenomenon for guys that people sometimes associate with aging.

It's up to you man, how do you want to cope?
I just shave it every two days and don't have to think about it anymore cuz no one asks, they know I am bald but they can't say for sure what it'd look like

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Though I have full hair yet, on the first serious signs of hair loss I'm planning to do what Cody suggests. Just own it.

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
My recommendations as someone with a history of six years with hair loss:

1) Don't do any medication, shampoo or visual effects (like "painting" or powder). Medication and shampoo make your remaining hair stronger as long as you're using them. But when you stop using them, your hair will get as weak as before. To me that's a huge downside.

2) Consider a hair transplant eventually if it's bothering you too much. It's the only long term, permanent "fix" with your own hair

3) Know that most people actually don't care

4) Own whatever option you pick. But you might change your decisions a couple of times to find the most satisfying option.

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
Thanks for the responses guys. Lots of options.

Skills- I watched both videos. The 2nd one was a little better.... maybe because of the intro and outro ;)

I have definitely considered a buzzcut as I've read that's a good option but it's too soon to consider the shaved head.... and I'm warry about my head looking ugly lol.

I've been really reluctant to medications so far. Purchased Rogaine and a shampoo but threw them out before I had time to see results. However that was 9 months ago and it's gotten worse. My stress levels at work were unreal these past 9 months and I was in the process of getting out of a failing relationship.... so I'm reconsidering my options again....clearly.

Transplant seems like the most viable option but who has 6-10k to throw around? but it does look extremely good.

I think the best place to start is the hair catch I see how much I'm losing and then make a long term decision based on the rate.

M_Ronin

Space Monkey
space monkey
I truly believe no matter what anyone says, hair loss is primarily psychological. A few years ago I have dealt with at least some of my emotional problems, mainly codependent-narcissistic personality disorder, and my hairline hasnt receded since then. My father was completely bald 4 years my junior, and here I am sporting (although lightly weathered) long hair. It is beatable!

I like this woman's videos. I think she is on point here:

Best part is, its free.

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I truly believe no matter what anyone says, hair loss is primarily psychological. A few years ago I have dealt with at least some of my emotional problems, mainly codependent-narcissistic personality disorder, and my hairline hasnt receded since then. My father was completely bald 4 years my junior, and here I am sporting (although lightly weathered) long hair. It is beatable!

I like this woman's videos. I think she is on point here:

Best part is, its free.
There are different type of hair losses. I'm just gonna mention the two most common:

Androgenetic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness. This is the classic one seen in men with receding hairline and thinning of the hair on the scalp. It can happen in women too where the thinning scalp is usually more dominant than the receding hairline. This is caused by hair follicles being sensitive to the DHT hormone and thereby dying. There are no known correlation or causation between stress and male pattern baldness.

Areat alopecia, also known as spot baldness. This is supposedly due to an autoimmune reaction that inactivates the hair follicles. Stress is a probable trigger of this autoimmune reaction, but it's uncertain how.

So yeah, the spot baldness could definitely be caused by psychological factors, and that is most likely what the woman is talking about. I've also read about some diffuse thinking of the hair when people are very stressed..

But the classic male pattern baldness? The way things look now, no way it's caused by stress :)

M_Ronin

Space Monkey
space monkey
S
There are different type of hair losses. I'm just gonna mention the two most common:

Androgenetic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness. This is the classic one seen in men with receding hairline and thinning of the hair on the scalp. It can happen in women too where the thinning scalp is usually more dominant than the receding hairline. This is caused by hair follicles being sensitive to the DHT hormone and thereby dying. There are no known correlation or causation between stress and male pattern baldness.

Areat alopecia, also known as spot baldness. This is supposedly due to an autoimmune reaction that inactivates the hair follicles. Stress is a probable trigger of this autoimmune reaction, but it's uncertain how.

So yeah, the spot baldness could definitely be caused by psychological factors, and that is most likely what the woman is talking about. I've also read about some diffuse thinking of the hair when people are very stressed..

But the classic male pattern baldness? The way things look now, no way it's caused by stress :)
Well, I don't have any spot baldness and when my psych factors were dealt with my receding hairline issue stopped.

I am no doctor, but I think Its better to view these things as genetic defense mechanisms. Some people store stress in their stomach, some make their hair fall etc. But it is not the stress itself, but your non-reaction to stress. Carousel has a very brilliant post about this and dealing with it with TRE method.

Last edited:

Grand Pooba

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I think another approach here is to just shave it all off and grow some pretty sweet facial hair. This is essentially what Style from The Game did - if you can't find a way to make your look work with a receding hair line, cut it all off and do a bald look, but have a nice goatee or beard that's well trimmed and looks sexy,

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
It’s 1000% psychological. I had a great interaction on the plane to my hometown For Thanksgiving last week. I took that momentum and went out that night and had no concerns, haven’t been worried about it since. My body language and overall deamenour/confidence has more impact on IOI’s than my fucking hair.

One of those instances where I feel lame for having let it bother me for so long.

Someone should have reached through the screen and slapped me

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Massage your head helps. And hair care centre where they scrub your head is very powerful. It regenerate hair. I went to such places before. Very good. Notice the difference.

But also very costly. About $80-$200 a session. Usually sold in 3 in packages.

Basically, shampoo and conditioner is just the topping. The root of hair is the problem. You need to unblock the clogs.

It's more of scrubbing if that make sense. That's what they did in my visit to hair centers

Just go scrub/massage yourself everyday. Haha

>