HELP! Does anyone know the San Diego area well?

metomeya

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

I know I was taking a break, but I thought I should reach out for help since I am most active here. I also sent a similar post to city-data.com.

I sold my car and moved to San Diego.

The plan was to settle down in a nice area and become a tutor (middle school to high school and eventually college kids studying for the GMAT).

I choose Eastlake in Chula Vista (south of San Diego). I spent weeks planning everything out. Problem is it is too hilly (yes i looked into that and between googles terrain map and street view I thought I was okay). I have a bike now and no way my legs will last doing that everyday.

Do you guys know of a place that is nice like Eastlake but flatter?

Worst case, I could setup shop in west Chula Vista (flatter), but it is a little too ghetto than what I'm used to.

I'm trying to strike while the iron is hot. In other words, reach out to all the schools in the area before they start on the 15th.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Space Monkey
space monkey
It's really unlikely anyone here would know (i think Chase lived there once, not sure he pops by anymore), but visit the tripadvisor forums on San Diego. I found that community very helpful when i had similar queries.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
metomeya,

I live in San Diego, but anything south of the Gas Lamp (downtown) and La Mesa is rather unknown to me as I don't travel that far south very often. If you have the option to, then moving further north would be my suggestion. Your options will probably be limited down there. But as Ryan suggested, I would start using Google to help you find alternative solutions.

- Franco

metomeya

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Thanks guys,

First, it wasn't so bad biking. Basically I walked uphill and coast downhill.

I got some good responses from city-data.com

Right now I'm split between a place close to SDSU or UCSD. SDSU is less than an hour to downtown using public transportation, but UCSD is in a more affluent area and closer north where I plan to expand my business.

Franco, do you have an opinion of those two areas to live in and for day game as well?

Thanks!

metomeya

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you an update. I'm back in Phoenix.

In the end, I just realized I was giving up too many things here. I was trying to scuttle my ships (burn my ships so I couldn't go back) in too extreme of a way. I was giving up years even a decade worth of resources and knowledge of an area to start again. That was pretty foolish.

Instead, small scuttles seems to be a much smarter and safer move.

Plus, a complete scuttling of your ships is virtually impossible in this era (I did get back to Phoenix after all).

An extreme scuttling of your ships causes you to enter survival mode.

I will say there were some pros to the situation (survival mode):
1.) I was never depressed. I didn't have time for it I was in survival mode.
2.) I pushed my self harder than I thought I could. Again, I was in survival mode.

cons:
1.) even though you might be working harder than you ever have in your life it might take years or even a decade to get back the resources you gave up by burning your bridge
2.) It can be very stressful (I found two grey hairs...I've never had grey hairs before!)

I think something like this might be great for someone who is 18 or 22 getting out of college. I know people at this age have a ton of energy, but it is often misdirected into hobbies that give no long lasting benefits and no real life skill sets that can be used in the future.

A lot of 18 year olds think they are scuttling their ships cause they are going off to college, but they aren't. They get a big fat check from the government (relatively tiny if divided by your school days, but what 18 is going to be budget himself with a ton of cash especially in college), you can stay in your dorm room all day with blazing fast internet to play your online games, eat at the nice buffet, and you are surrounded by chicks even though you put in no work for it other than put in an application to a university that accepts everyone.

But an extreme scuttling of your ships should only be done in the right situation. Hard to say what it is cause everyone is different. If not, scuttle smaller, scuttle smarter. Peace.

>