Socializing  Help Starting the Conversation

AsianPersuasion

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Since my last field report, it's become apparent to me how unprepared I am to converse with someone I cold approach and directly open during the day. Because of this, my Approach Anxiety has come back, and I would like to address this issue as soon as possible.

My usual opener has been either "Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but I couldn't help but notice how attractive your daughter is. *Smile at daughter* I was wondering if I could, with your permission, have 5 minutes with her?" if the girl has a parent with them, or Chase's "I'm just kidding, I just thought you were cute and wanted to say hi! I'm AP!"
Generally, if I'm in a clothing store, I can capitalize on my opener by saying "What are you up to?" or "What school do you go to?"
In a grocery store or something, my only option so far is "What school do you go to?"

My problem is, if the girl gives me a very mundane answer and doesn't say enough to help me advance our conversation, I become pretty lost for words. I need help getting the conversation going so that I can implement deep diving and try to lead her emotions. These are all girls within the age 17 range that I'm trying for by the way.

I'd love some help on this issue so I can be better prepared to go out in the field all over again!

>