Books & Articles  How To Read A Book -- Mortimer J. Adler

Oskar

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
This is a practical guidebook on how to read a book, in particular, on how to master the skill of analytical reading. It breaks down the levels of reading (elementary, inspectional, analytical, and syntopical), describing what they are and how to read at that level, focused primarily on analytical reading. It outlines the questions you should ask a book, approaches to gaining understanding from reading different kinds of reading matter under different time constraints, how to systematically compare books (syntopical reading), and it wraps up with an analysis of the ultimate goals of reading.

Reading, writing, learning, all of these skills are interrelated. By learning to be a more demanding and efficient reader you can learn to be a better writer, develop a keenness of observation, a more readily available memory, a greater range of imagination, and, of course, an intellect trained in analysis and reflection.

To avoid the error of the sophomore who thinks that to be wide read is to be well read I encourage anyone who takes learning seriously, especially the autodidacts out there who don't have a teacher to whom they can ask questions, to check this book out.

Knight

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hi Oskar,

There is no link in the text - could you pass one on for me please? I think you forgot it!

Edit: I was checking again for a link when I saw you mentioned this as a book. My mistake. I'll check it out.

>