Health  Ibuprofen, diet, and its effect on male scent

jackal2020

Space Monkey
space monkey
We have mentioned scent here before: Chase first discussed it here in a particularly mind-blowing post, and it was further discussed on the forum in this thread. However, I think it deserves further mention and discussion, because scent seems to be one of the lesser-appreciated of the human senses in attraction (well behind appearance and touch), yet it is a critical aspect to subconsious attraction.

If you think carefully, I'm sure you can recall a time where you just loved the way a girl smelled. Scent vis-a-vis sexual attraction first caught my attention because of an odd revelation about my last girlfriend: I thought she smelled intoxicating. It was one of my favorite things about her. I didn't want to wash a shirt of mine because it smells so much like her. And I realized this was a recurring pattern: I began to like a prior girlfriend after smelling a lovely waft from her hair.

Anyhow. In these COVID-quarantined days, I've been experimenting with giving up soap, and its effect on scent. And I've made a few observations.

The first two weeks after giving up soap were NOT good. The oils had to recalibrate, or something. But after that, a musk with a certain pleasantness began to emerge. (Side note: another benefit of dropping soap is that I don't need to use any hair-gel anymore -- the oils themselves provide all the hold and shine I could ever desire).

However: I began to take a large dose of Ibuprofen for some muscle issues. The most startling change was a rapid degradation of my scent: even to me, I thought I smelled like rotten eggs. Going off the Ibuprofen restored my scent to a pleasant musk.

More recently, I went on a week-long, alcohol-fueled bender with some friends. Horrible diet, horrible lifestyle. And again -- a rapid degradation of scent: this time, I thought I smelled of fish. However, returning back home to a healthy diet again restored that pleasant musk.

Collectively, these observations suggest that there is more to a 'good' scent than just testosterone and cortisol levels, or immuno-compatibility. In addition, I wager that scent is an indicator of internal biological health. Thus, having a good scent provides a subconscious cue that indeed, you are living healthily, which from an evolutionary standpoint is a good thing.

So, if you're giving up soap, make sure you eat right ;).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to field test any of these observations. They're anecdotal. However, perhaps you have noticed similar trends, linking your scent to a healthier life-style?

Aside: As another fun connection, there is that old saying, "pineapple makes your cum taste good". This may or may not be true -- but if it is, one theory on why is that the nutritional overload of pineapple makes your body produce 'healthier' semen. This is perceived as better-tasting. Perhaps there's a link here.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Fascinating observations, @jackal2020.

However: I began to take a large dose of Ibuprofen for some muscle issues. The most startling change was a rapid degradation of my scent: even to me, I thought I smelled like rotten eggs. Going off the Ibuprofen restored my scent to a pleasant musk.

More recently, I went on a week-long, alcohol-fueled bender with some friends. Horrible diet, horrible lifestyle. And again -- a rapid degradation of scent: this time, I thought I smelled of fish. However, returning back home to a healthy diet again restored that pleasant musk.

Collectively, these observations suggest that there is more to a 'good' scent than just testosterone and cortisol levels, or immuno-compatibility. In addition, I wager that scent is an indicator of internal biological health. Thus, having a good scent provides a subconscious cue that indeed, you are living healthily, which from an evolutionary standpoint is a good thing.

Yeah, that's really interesting.

Food definitely has a major impact in the way people smell.

I knew a Nigerian girl in university who had just relocated to the U.S. and had a very, very strong odor (unpleasant to an American nose). When I asked her what her diet was like, she confessed to eating very little American food. Maybe 1.5 years later I met her again and her smell was almost inoffensive (almost!). I asked her if she was eating more American food and she said, "Yes, a lot of McDonald's!"

I had a Chinese roommate in university who had a very strong unpleasant smell for the first few months. It was so bad that when I left the room door open to air out, girls would walk by gasping and complaining about the smell ("Eww, what is that SMELL?!"). Roommate would rush off to shower as soon as that happened, but it didn't help (he still smelled like that after showering).

My roommate shifted his diet to a more American one, however, and the smell almost completely vanished. The more his diet Americanized, the less he smelled, until he almost didn't smell at all.

I have known Indians with very strong smells, and Indians without strong smells -- the difference from what I've been able to tell comes down to their diets.

In Asia I had people tell me that "foreigners have much stronger smells", presumably because foreigners are eating different types of food and so smell different from locals (presumably locals are used to local smells and don't notice it -- but notice foreigners' smells). I'm sure there are genetic differences to different populations' smells as well -- but food clearly also plays a big role.

Shrimp turns flamingos' feathers pink... it should not surprise it has a large effect on the way people smell.

You really are what you eat, to some extent.

Chase

hey_lover

Modern Human
Modern Human
I stopped using deodrant for a few days and it would result in a very strong testosterone smell. Is that the scent you are supposed to aim for?

It doesn't smell pleasant but I have come to like it over the years as it smells very masculine. Regardless, I became self-concious out in field as I would constantly get a whisk of it, so I reverted back to deodrants.

I've smelt this exact scent on other men in the gym. The problem I have is that the scent is too strong and I don't want to be that guy who people avoid and would wish showered more.

I train heavy 6 times a week, follow no-fap and have a clean diet. So the smell I produce is too strong that it even puts me off.

hey_lover

Modern Human
Modern Human
I can corroborate Chase's observations regarding food. I met my ex-girlfriend when she was working as a waitress in an Indian restaurant, as such Indian food was her diet for the most part. The first few times we we went out I would smell a really strong odor off of her whenever I would turn her on. As soon as she left that job and moved to a different profession, the smell went with it.

jackal2020

Space Monkey
space monkey
@hey_lover --

Well mate, I will admit the smell does have a certain *bite* to it. And no, it isn't traditionally "pleasant" -- but that's not the point.

What even is "pleasant"? It's a subjective sense, in the eye of the beholder. So you, as a man, may not find the scent of other guys to be pleasant. That stands to reason. But a woman might disagree, and find it attractive!

Regarding your psychology: of course, you must do what makes you feel best inside. Any anxiety it causes will cost far more than the benefit it gives. But I take the opposite view -- I view my discarding of deodorant as an advantage in the field. I believe that it will make the women who like me feel even more strongly (for scientific, immuno-compatibility reasons, of course). It's a polarizing factor. True or not, it's what I believe -- and I like to think that believing that helps me do what I need to do.

I also like how discarding deodorant is a daily reminder to 'think different'. To quote Steve Jobs.

That said, it is totally valid if you don't want to smell strongly around other men. That might create a real bias against you, and so it's a good reason to wear deodorant. I've been working from home, so that's not been an issue, yet.

Regarding practical matters: I also exercise frequently, eat clean, minimize jacking off, etc. Showering a lot keeps it down -- so does scrubbing vigorously with a washcloth. A whiff ought to suffice.

@Chase --

Very interesting regarding diet. It explains why foreign airports are cause such a sensory overload.

It's also interesting because smell is determined by sweat gland genetics -- look up "apocrine sweat glands." The "smelliness" in part varies based on racial background; for instance, East Asians don't express the glands as strongly as other races (source). I read somewhere that the glands were in only 5% of the Japanese population, and that Japenese men who smell strongly are ostracized.

It makes you wonder: was that cultural bias against it reduce the amount of gene expression, or did reduced gene expression (from some other cause) create a strong cultural bias against smell?

FrancoDanko

Space Monkey
space monkey
Interesting insights. Though, with that in mind, do not disregard any vital medication you may require without consulting your GP/doctor if you feel it will help improve your scent to prospective (sexual) partners. If it is a concern, it is worth bringing it up with your doctor. For instance, some people could be on medication for a reason, and its best not to get off it randomly on the back of "bro-science".

Cases with over the counter painkillers like the OP described that's fine with respect to your pain tolerance and lifestyle. Remember, not everyone's lifestyle preferences and pain tolerance will be the same.

ocean_eyes

Space Monkey
space monkey
No soap! This is ijjjji 2.0, he used to have some great posts regarding giving up soap, and using vinegar for problem spots (underarms etc).

I haven't used soap for ~10 years. I'll use it for a month sometimes if I'm paranoid or whatever, even though I ASKED and ASKED people if I stink for awhile. Lol.

For me giving up soap not only brought out a great scent (according to 2 exes), but fixed minor skin issues and now I have zero, literally nothing ever. And I dont have good genetics, I had horrible acne in school. Wish I had tried it back then!

ocean_eyes

Space Monkey
space monkey
I stopped using deodrant for a few days and it would result in a very strong testosterone smell. Is that the scent you are supposed to aim for?

It doesn't smell pleasant but I have come to like it over the years as it smells very masculine. Regardless, I became self-concious out in field as I would constantly get a whisk of it, so I reverted back to deodrants.

I've smelt this exact scent on other men in the gym. The problem I have is that the scent is too strong and I don't want to be that guy who people avoid and would wish showered more.

I train heavy 6 times a week, follow no-fap and have a clean diet. So the smell I produce is too strong that it even puts me off.
Try white vinegar instead of deodorant. Spray underarms after shower. Any sweat you do produce, won't smell.

Let me know!

Skjöldr

Modern Human
Modern Human
Try white vinegar instead of deodorant. Spray underarms after shower. Any sweat you do produce, won't smell.

Let me know!
Gonna try out only showering with water and this!

ocean_eyes

Space Monkey
space monkey
Well since i wrote this i decided i had to triple/quadruple 15x check and confirm, does vinegar still work?..LMAO

I went back to using soap for a couple days. It is what I consider one of the most organic soaps, Dr Bronners (tried a shitload over the years though, but for demo purposes this should be a good, non-irritating soap for most people).

Boy i fuckin SMELL! My underarms smell every single night, whether i did any activity or not.

Usually (on vinegar) i won't even sweat unless i work out, and my sweat doesn't smell. If you're clean you shouldn't be able to smell yourself.
But I have a smell, and that is the natural man-musk-scent whatever that GFs say smells good, and that comes out when I sweat!
Ultra pheromones!

PS Just a random note on vinegar experiments. My friend tried to use my vinegar routine to fix his feet. It never worked for him supposedly. But he was also using teatree oil, a bunch of scrubbers, and other bullshit. Stick with vinegar-ONLY, keep it simple!

PPS Make sure you are aware of what is going in and out of your body
Poor nutrition WILL make you smell! regardless whether you use soap, vinegar, or a nuclear-salt-scrub)

>