Mocking People for using Fancy Language and 'Buzz' Words

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
Often when you hear someone using fancy language it's a sign that they are trying to cover up the fact that they're not all that intelligent. It's as if they realise somewhere along the way "oh I can't do rocket science, so I'll just use unnecessary words like 'hubris' and 'reprehensible' so that I'll seem enigmatic and intelligent".

As an example I recently heard someone being interviewed say "if a song has interior integrity then it will connect with the person". I don't care how well educated I may be, or how many words are in my repertoire, this is not a way I'd naturally say something. And if I did I'd expect people to think I was trying to show off. If someone said that to me I'd get smart with them. I'd say "and can a song have exterior integrity?"! As soon as you read the word 'exterior' you probably realised that using the word 'interior' was completely unnecessary! Why would you, unless you are trying to come across as intelligent. I would have just simply said "If a song is good, it will connect with the person".

However, there are some people who actually speak this way, and aren't trying to show off. For such people it is important to know instinctively when to not speak in such a way depending on the people you're around. Because if you do you'll get mocked by them.

I once had a HR lady use buzzwords towards me when making a decision to move me to a different job. When she was informing me of so in a meeting in front of others, she ended up saying "although there might be some initial temporary turbulence with this change...". The moment she used this phrase I made sure to repeat those exact words (temporary turbulence) so to highlight that I knew she was bullshitting. It was her euphemism for saying that I'd have to do a whole load of more work, and the mere use of this phrase made me more skeptical than I already was. The moment she started to speak again I interrupted her by sarcastically repeating the words again. I then said "in other words you mean to say that I'll have to work two people's work?" This came back to bite me, but I do not regret it! It was worth it. And it also showed her up in front of others for the bullshitter she was.

It is nearly always worth mocking someone for using buzzwords, than biting your lip.

Chrance

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
As an example I recently heard someone being interviewed say "if a song has interior integrity then it will connect with the person".

They’re saying, with different words: “if a song has soul/heart, then it will connect with the person.”

I disagree a little with your example of “if a song is good...” since by saying its “good” youre not really saying anything - “if a song is good people will connect with it.” of course they will! But what makes it ‘good’?. Kinda like saying if x = 1 than x is not equal to 2.

I agree with the post and the use of “interior integrity” is a weird combination. When is integrity not interior?

An example I see a lot is when people say “... that’s problematic.” Like, what specifically is the problem? Where is it? Point it out lol!!

Richard

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I think there's a lot of generalizations in this thread :p

In my experience, it's rare to run into people like this and when you do they either fold under the pressure or try to posture if you understand what they're doing.

Assuming somebody is a bullshitter because they use eloquent language just isn't founded and isn't very smart to do. Mocking people is just as socially unintelligible.

I'm not sure about anybody else but I prefer to be a source of calm and positive energy with everyone I meet - making sweeping assumptions and then mocking them under those assumptions defeats the whole purpose XD

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Often when you hear someone using fancy language it's a sign that they are trying to cover up the fact that they're not all that intelligent. It's as if they realise somewhere along the way "oh I can't do rocket science, so I'll just use unnecessary words like 'hubris' and 'reprehensible' so that I'll seem enigmatic and intelligent".
Dawkins pointed this out,usually smart people try to use simple words because they want to communicate,dumb people want to use big words because they want to impress,smart people are at pains to communicate without their info flying over everyones heads,charlatans and psudcocientists want to throw the word quantum infront of everything,sen guys sell quantum healing crystals

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

In my experience, it's rare to run into people like this and when you do they either fold under the pressure or try to posture if you understand what they're doing.

Assuming somebody is a bullshitter because they use eloquent language just isn't founded and isn't very smart to do. Mocking people is just as socially unintelligible.

I'm not sure about anybody else but I prefer to be a source of calm and positive energy with everyone I meet - making sweeping assumptions and then mocking them under those assumptions defeats the whole purpose XD
havent seen u in ages,bro,hope u good

Richard

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
havent seen u in ages,bro,hope u good

HAHA - what's up dude!

I definitely took a break from the boards and posting but I should be a little more active now. Hope you've been well :)

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
NG,

It's hard to tell if your post was framed as a statement or as a question. Under the assumption that it is a statement, I'm going to disagree.

It's almost never worth calling someone out for overly eloquent language, because what's the point? What's your objective with it? Making yourself feel better by trying to place them below you...

By trying to make a show of being "higher" value than someone, you just display your lack of tact and value yourself.

In your situation with HR, what did you gain? Apart from a little self satisfaction... my guess would be not much.

Lotus

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
I don't want to go down the road of what percentage of the time, someone who uses big words, is a bullshitter. I just want to open up a discussion about how to recognise such behavior, and how to use it to one's advantage. But you're trying to shut it down. If you've nothing to say, then don't say anything.

And dude, girls love a guy who speaks his mind. In my case with the HR lady, she was relying in the fear of her subordinates to not call her out. And it back fired on her. But don't forget it took balls for me to say that, and yes I did feel like I might even be fired at the time.

But guess what, I didn't get fired. So I suppose it was a gamble. After getting away with that incident I had a far better idea of how much I could get away with in that place. That helped me relax more when at work. In general workers err on the safe side of their bosses by tip toeing way too much around them. They do this because they don't know where the line is. But if you know where the line is, it makes life a lot easier!
Fold under pressure? What?! What pressure are they going to fold under unless you put them under pressure?

And what planet are you living on that you don't come across people like this? They're all over the place. Open your eyes mate.
There's no point in talking down to me... I never said I 'assume'. You should assume that I have the intuition to know the difference.
I'm not sure about anybody else but I prefer to be a source of calm and positive energy with everyone I meet - making sweeping assumptions and then mocking them under those assumptions defeats the whole purpose
Listen to this! Are you running for office or something?

Last edited:

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
In your situation with HR, what did you gain? Apart from a little self satisfaction... my guess would be not much.
We have different value systems, that's all. It's not one is right and one is wrong.

But I've a feeling that some of the girls in the office wanted to shag me that day!

Reactions: Hue

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
I disagree a little with your example of “if a song is good...” since by saying its “good” youre not really saying anything - “if a song is good people will connect with it.” of course they will! But what makes it ‘good’?. Kinda like saying if x = 1 than x is not equal to 2.

They’re saying, with different words: “if a song has soul/heart, then it will connect with the person.”
Yes, that was the phrase I was looking for. I was in too much of a hurry to type the thread.
An example I see a lot is when people say “... that’s problematic.” Like, what specifically is the problem? Where is it? Point it out lol!!
Well if I said "doing X tends to be problematic", (lets say for 3 different possible reasons) that would make sense right.

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
You know what they say, " the magniloquent eulogize sesquipedalian discourse, often to a dégringolade of intelligibility."

Honestly the way I would handle it, is by not taking it personally, and having fun with it. I know if I heard her say some interesting word, I would ask her what it meant, with genuine curiosity. And ironically, it'd probably be a great way to call her out on it if she doesn't know how to define it.

But that wouldn't be my intention, and I'd probably help her save face if I did see her sputtering, by looking it up with her.

Richard had some solid advice, didn't see him talking down to you at all.

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Yeah, because I usually do things like that. Enemies can do nothing for me. I can leverage good relationships though.

Look man, we're on your side.

Btw, that's the weight of experience and results he's swinging around there.

Book recommendation: Emotional Intelligence 2.0. Please don't take that as an affront for your own sake. I honestly think it'll be a great choice. It's a damn good book and relevant.

I often see guys here on the boards get defensive and throw out advice, and that gets them nowhere fast.

You can either take advice or throw everything on the ground and get nothing out of the boards here.

Don't be like this guy.

Gunwitch

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
If a guys doing it I just assume the best, that he just has a good vocabulary. If a chicks doing it I assume shes either trying to impress/good that shes qualifying herself, or she really does have the vocabulary/maybe has some brains. Until someone does someone aggressive/not nice/janky, I at least just take em as I find em.

Everyones got an "act" at least intelligence as an act is something worthy to act out, vs some far more worthless/destructive social masks.

Trust me its a first world problem compared to ever being stuck with a bunch of imbeciles (haha! ;)) who GENUINE can't even fake a good vocabulary. You'll be wishing to meet someone who wants to at least seem smart, and didn't once honeymoon in their first marriage at Circus Circus in Reno and thinks Sizzlers "them fancy expensive eats" in about a day.

Gun

• Haha
Reactions: Hue

Roundy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

I understand the struggle. I think strongly disagreeable people (like myself, and you I’d guess from the time of your posts) have a hard time taking that kind of pretense. They call it management-speak for a reason. When you hear people talking about “performative masculinity”, “heteronormativity”, “cost for difference derivative instruments” etc etc it’s often safe to assume they’re trying to confuse you with jargon. It can be innocent (oblivious) or a deliberate power move (HR managers) to say, I know fancy words/concepts that you don’t.
That being said, I don’t think outwardly mocking them does anyone any favours. Someone earlier in the thread said that asking in a genuine tone what they mean by their flowery language is a good way to politely make them drop their fakery. It also snaps them out of their routine and gives you a dominance without outwardly embarrassing them. But unless you’re in an all male environment, I wouldn’t be aggressive about it.

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
Someone earlier in the thread said that asking in a genuine tone what they mean by their flowery language is a good way to politely make them drop their fakery.
But the guy who said that also said that wouldn't be his "intention" for doing so!

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
Yeah, because I usually do things like that. Enemies can do nothing for me. I can leverage good relationships though.

Look man, we're on your side.

Btw, that's the weight of experience and results he's swinging around there.

Book recommendation: Emotional Intelligence 2.0. Please don't take that as an affront for your own sake. I honestly think it'll be a great choice. It's a damn good book and relevant.

I often see guys here on the boards get defensive and throw out advice, and that gets them nowhere fast.

You can either take advice or throw everything on the ground and get nothing out of the boards here.

Don't be like this guy.
So passive aggressive!

Starboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I get what you're saying. People who use fancy words that most people don't know or use commonly can come off as a tryhard. Like the ESPN anchor Stephen A Smith is known to be overly dramatic when he's talking about sports and uses words that normal people don't use in that context like like " this is blasphemy" or "preposterous". Or he may even make up words while he's on air and use it to describe a player's situation. He's well known and liked by a lot of present and former athletes in the sports world,but he gets clowned for his presentation style as well.
I do think the the people who used "interior integrity" and "temporary turbelence" was trying too hard to sound smart . To use it in the contexts of music and in Human Resources didn't make any sense. You're good bruh. If people behave in ridicuolous ways you can clown them on it or call them out for it idc what anyone says.

Militarybrat

Space Monkey
space monkey
Mocking someone is childish behavior it is disrespectful to oneself and devalues you. That said I would have looked them in the eyes with the WTF look on my face and body language. I chose not to be in the corporate world as it is contrary to who and what I am as a man. I hope you are ready for the repercussions that will certainly follow your actions (watch your back the corporate knives are out and ready).

>