No self promotion facebook groups

killerman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Ok, so I'm trying to grow my online guitar teaching business. They say post in facebook groups. So I go there and I check the group rules to make sure I don't do anything that will get me banned. And I see they say "no self promotion". And I go to the next group..."no self promotion". 95% of groups are like this. But what does it mean? Does it mean you can't promote your business? And if that's the case how are you supposed to get clients, students, grow your business if you can't promote it or let people know about it? I really don't get it. It's really frustrating. Would appreciate it if you guys gave me some feedback on this. Cheers.

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
As long as it isn’t a blatant spammy ad you will be ok in most groups. Focus on adding value to the group and actually contributing.

Don Giovanni

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey killerman,

I'm a guitar teacher and this is how I make my living. I'm not going to tell you about Facebook groups, so you might as well ignore it if that's what you're looking for.

I teach at music schools. They get you clients. Have you considered getting into those circles first?

I have and have had a couple of private students. They pay more, but are unreliable. They miss one week ''because they need to practice more'', whereas in music schools they pay either they show up or not. I got private students only through word of mouth, friends, friends of friends and this was later when I was teaching already. That's the thing, they need to know that you're teaching already (value), then they hit you up.

Other people who I know that teach privately have their own funnels. Some build solid Instagram/ YouTube (value) and then post when spots for students free up. Some make connections through playing gigs (value) and socializing after. Some open their music schools (value - which is I guess what you want to do?) and put a lot of time into marketing, usually get other people to teach for them as well. I saw teaching gigs on Fiverr and Upwork as well, but I don't have a clue what those are like.

So my advice is start building something and put yourself out there.

Good luck!

killerman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
As long as it isn’t a blatant spammy ad you will be ok in most groups. Focus on adding value to the group and actually contributing.
I have a youtube channel, I just reached 400 subscribers. I post my videos in guitar groups and have had some good responses and even some subscribers from it so it is working. Just thinking maybe I should let people know i'm teaching, at the bottom of the facebook group posts, below the link. Do you think that's a good idea or do you think I should let people know i'm teaching only on my channel, make sure that in the posts in the facebook groups i'm only giving value (the videos)?

>