Oh Pry's guide on how to have success on Tinder and Bumble.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
If you haven't caught on to it already, this is where our generation is going with dating. Dating apps are convenient and just require a lot less investment than going out does, we're naturally lazy as people. If you're most guys, you're going to struggle with dating apps, especially the part where it comes to getting matches so I write this guide to give you a path to doing well. While there is a Tinder guide available on Girlschase, I think that an updated guide needs to be made for both Tinder and Bumble. As someone who has had significant matches on both apps as well as met more than a handful of women through them, I write this guide.

Step 0: Start over again, get a new Facebook and start from scratch.

At this point, if you've been at Tinder and Bumble for a while struggling, your profile is so low on the stack that most women aren't even coming across it. Tinder has ELO score which works in a way that the more your profile is liked and the more matches you get starting out, the higher it shows up. If you didn't get any matches on either of the apps in the first few days, I have some bad news, you're screwed. Delete your current profile and create a new Facebook. Bumble lets you create a new Facebook right off the bat and start an account, Tinder is a bit more strict. For Tinder I recommend deleting the app from your Facebook account and then deleting your account on Tinder itself, now restart but don't get Tinder Plus or Tinder Gold.

Step 1: Get the best pics possible.

Get a professionally done photo or two, apply Instagram filters to a lot of your pics, and get pics of you being social with your friends. Don't have any? Work on getting some to build that interesting life. Post pics on this forum to get feedback or go on Photofeeler.com to see how your pics stack up, you must get at least an 80% on attractive to do well but to be on the safe side aim for 90%.

Mix it up, get pics of you with other people, a dog, and one good professionally taken photo of yourself.

Step 2: Create your account and don't touch it for 48 hours.

Don't do any swiping at all within the first 48 hours, your profile is still showing up somewhat high on the list and being evaluated. At this point, women are being shown your profile and making their decision on you.

For both Tinder and especially Bumble, there is a feature that shows you how many people liked you even though you can't see the profiles themselves unless you pay for the apps. On Bumble, this is called a "Beeline" and on Tinder, it has a similar feature. You will see a circle with a blurred out pic and a number of it, that number is how many people have liked you.

Step 3: Swipe but do so carefully.

Don't swipe right a 100 times and hope you hit something, be careful when swiping.

On Bumble, if you examine the blurred out circle, you will get somewhat of a hint on who has liked your profile. An example is I noticed a blurred out circle showed white background and red in the middle, this means a woman in a red dress liked my profile. When you come across the profile, it will be somewhat clear as to who has liked you.

If you guess correctly, you get matches which helps your overall score. You will usually get the most activity in your first week.

Step 4: Push for the meetup.

At this point, as soon as you have matched, push for a meetup and make it obvious.

Get creative with this.

I recently matched with and smashed a girl that had a pic of her lifting, I mentioned that she couldn't lift me but I could lift her no issue and challenged her to. You can be way more creative than that but after you match, your goal should be to push for the meetup.

Step 5: Business as usual

At this point, it's all game.

Other theories and things that can work.

I have been told that if you switch your preference to both Men and Women on Tinder or "Everyone" on Bumble, this actually helps your score a lot because men outnumber women 5 to 1 on a lot of these apps and tend to swipe carelessly. After a certain point you can switch it back to just women and your score should stay high as is, not sure how much truth there is to this.

mindful

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Oh Pry said:
For both Tinder and especially Bumble, there is a feature that shows you how many people liked you even though you can't see the profiles themselves unless you pay for the apps. On Bumble, this is called a "Beeline" and on Tinder, it has a similar feature. You will see a circle with a blurred out pic and a number of it, that number is how many people have liked you.

For tinder, you are talking about tinder gold here, which was introduced this past summer. Tinder gold is pretty much mandatory if you are a guy using the app now. Dating apps cater to their more premium based members so it will affect your matches if you don't pay for the service. It's like $100 for the year, which is not bad at all especially if it's your main dating option.

Besides that, there is a huge advantage to seeing who "likes" you before you swipe on them. If you start a profile from scratch and are selective with your matches and only "like" the girls that you see already have "liked" you, then your ELO score should stay consistent... as long as your profile is solid and more girls than not "like" instead of "dislike' you.

However, I feel tinder profiles, especially for men, defintely degrade overtime. So you will probably need to "reset" your profile every so often from scratch. If you have the gold membership, this is easy to spot. Maybe you go from 10 matches a day to a match every 2-5 days.... then yeah... you are at the bottom of the stack. I would definitely wait a few months though, since as a new user you will be at the top of the stack so you are getting "the new guy" effect before your ELO score is more established. The bigger insight here is that, you are more or less settling into your true ELO score... which means it's vital to nail your profile/pics to begin with. So yeah, don't half-ass your profile to begin with, and you won't get a half-assed ELO score.

As for setting your profile to like both men/women... this does make sense since you will get more hits on your profile from both genders... thus boosting your ELO score and exposure to others. However, this could also be a bad thing too though if the gay guys don't find you attractive :)

I also want to say for pics, yes you want some high quality professional photos, but also have some regular ones in there too... but they should still maintain quality as well.

And for messaging, I would say if you are really good with tinder texting game, you can get a meetup after 3-4 exchanges. Also, if you are really good and extend the messaging further, some girls will take it into their own hands and explicitly tell you they want to take things further (aka "so are you gonna ask for my number"), or something like ("so when are we gonna meet"), ("are you free for a drink tonight"). These are the girls that are hooked and are really digging the online version of you... so make these meetups happen QUICK.

Example opener: Girl had a pic of her on a kawasaki 4 wheeler.
me: "You are quite a cute kawasaki ninja ;) where were you riding?"

Total back/forth exchanges to get her number: 5

I like to say things that are playful/flirty and genuinely make me laugh.

Also, besides creating a new profile when your profile is definitely down in the dumps, is when you move to a new city. This way, you are hitting the ground running and taking dating seriously to meet new girls.

Regal Tiger

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
mindful said:
However, I feel tinder profiles, especially for men, defintely degrade overtime. So you will probably need to "reset" your profile every so often from scratch. If you have the gold membership, this is easy to spot. Maybe you go from 10 matches a day to a match every 2-5 days.... then yeah... you are at the bottom of the stack. I would definitely wait a few months though, since as a new user you will be at the top of the stack so you are getting "the new guy" effect before your ELO score is more established. The bigger insight here is that, you are more or less settling into your true ELO score... which means it's vital to nail your profile/pics to begin with. So yeah, don't half-ass your profile to begin with, and you won't get a half-assed ELO score.

As for setting your profile to like both men/women... this does make sense since you will get more hits on your profile from both genders... thus boosting your ELO score and exposure to others. However, this could also be a bad thing too though if the gay guys don't find you attractive :)

I also want to say for pics, yes you want some high quality professional photos, but also have some regular ones in there too... but they should still maintain quality as well.

And for messaging, I would say if you are really good with tinder texting game, you can get a meetup after 3-4 exchanges. Also, if you are really good and extend the messaging further, some girls will take it into their own hands and explicitly tell you they want to take things further (aka "so are you gonna ask for my number"), or something like ("so when are we gonna meet"), ("are you free for a drink tonight"). These are the girls that are hooked and are really digging the online version of you... so make these meetups happen QUICK.

Example opener: Girl had a pic of her on a kawasaki 4 wheeler.
me: "You are quite a cute kawasaki ninja ;) where were you riding?"

Total back/forth exchanges to get her number: 5

I like to say things that are playful/flirty and genuinely make me laugh.

Also, besides creating a new profile when your profile is definitely down in the dumps, is when you move to a new city. This way, you are hitting the ground running and taking dating seriously to meet new girls.

You don't have to wait to reset your Tinder profile and neither do you need a brand new Facebook profile. I would delete my Tinder profile, wait barely a full day, and create the next one. This would go on every month.

The first week of the month I wouldn't touch it. The second week of the month I would have roughly 20-30 matches to work with (when I was still using cell phone pics no less). The third week of the month I would be messaging and setting up dates. The last week of the month I would get somewhere around 10-20 extra matches and try to message some of the cold leads as well as the new ones.

Go on anywhere from 2-10 dates a month using that system on Tinder only. Rinse and repeat. Then there's also OkCupid and POF where I did really well when I was still learning all of this stuff. Even when I was still a beginner I averaged 1 new girl a month.

I've also noticed that clear/crisp photos that were kind of boring (brand new to my camera and I was taking my own photos, which is a terrible idea) I would get about the same number of matches as I got with my arguably good cell phone pictures that had shitty quality. Having both, however, = tons better.

You're also correct on the messaging. You only need about 4-5 sent messages before a girl is comfortable to meet with you. There are always exceptions, of course, but 4-5 messages sent (that means she has sent 4-5 and you have sent 4-5) is all you need.

mindful

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Regal Tiger said:
You don't have to wait to reset your Tinder profile and neither do you need a brand new Facebook profile. I would delete my Tinder profile, wait barely a full day, and create the next one. This would go on every month.

Interesting, I always thought you did. Creating a new facebook account is a pain just to create a new tinder account so this is good info! Also speaking of that, I created a new profile recently and then tried to log into my old tinder account to get some girls numbers that I never contacted lol. However, whenever I tried logging in, it would be my new account. If you have an iphone, generally how tinder used to login to your profile was through what login you used for the facebook settings on your actual phone, not the facebook app itself. However, with the new iOS operating systems, apps that relied on this "two-way" authentication no longer works. Now, an app such as tinder, will look at the user you are signed on using the safari browser.

But, tinder also does this thing where if you initially signup using facebook, then logout and log back in, it just uses that same facebook for when you setup your account. So besides going into the safari browser and logging into facebook with my old account, I also had to delete the tinder app, reinstall, and then login with facebook and it then uses the facebook account I am logged in with the safari browser.

And then to log back into my new account I had to do the same thing:
1) log into new account on safari
2) reinstall tinder and have it connect with facebook (which uses safari facebook login)

I'm sure most people won't have this problem of needing to go back to their old account, but tinder makes it an obstacle course to do so.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Tinder Plus and paying for dating apps is in now way required at all these days, you get the likes feature telling you how many people have liked you. I swiped randomly for about 30 different profiles and got around 8 matches while being selective, the app will naturally put the profiles that like you near the top. Bumble does not do this but it also gives clear indications on how the profiles that liked you will look like, the blurs are easy to differentiate.

Guys outnumber women like 70% to 30% on the app, most gay dudes go through and aggressively right swipe on a halfway decent profile for a guy from what I have found, easy way to boost your ELO score.

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
OP,

I just wanted to mention that this was a very helpful post. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Thanks also to mindful and Regal Tiger for sharing their experiences and insights as well. :)

- Franco

ProblemSolving

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Interesting concept of not touching the app for 48 hours, I'll give it a go.

You guys are wasting your time worrying about your "ELO score" though. That's just Tinder bullshit fed to the plebs as a way to explain why all your matches dried up in an effort to get you to pay for the app. There are only 2 ways to get your profile up to the top of the deck so it can be viewed by the most people:

1) Reload your profile. This has been known for a long time now, which is why Tinder is trying to crack down on the people that are continually remaking their profiles when their matches start to slow. When your account is new, you are at the top of the deck and are seen by the most people. As time goes by (the older your account), the more your account gets pushed towards the bottom of the deck, fewer matches come in until no one ever sees you. This has NOTHING to do with your "ELO score", and it has everything the to do with how old your account is compared to the competition. This drop in matching is designed to get you frustrated so you spend money to replicate your previous success.

2) Pay For Boosts. When you pay for a Boost, your profile temporarily gets bumped to the top of the deck, so everyone gets to see you for 30 minutes or so. The matches come flooding in as a result

It's essentially PAY TO WIN. The more money you spend, the more you get seen and the more matches you get. It's no different than online gaming theses days, where if you spend the most money you get considerable advantages over the competition.

How do I know that the ELO score is bullshit? Because the same thing happens to hot tinder chicks. I've talked a lot of shop with hot Tinder girls, and the same thing happens to them. When their account is new, they have pretty much 100% match rate, but as time goes by, their match rates start to drop considerably because their profiles are pushed lower in the deck. It doesn't happen as fast as it does to guys, but that's just because there are 5 times as many guys on the app, so your account gets "older" a lot quicker.

The drop in matches happens to EVERYONE because it's designed to get you frustrated so you spend money.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
I don't buy it, hot girls are getting matches left to right no matter how long they have been on the app, if you are liked a lot then your profile remains at the top, same with high value guys. You do get a boost for being new but if you are successful starting off, you will always get matches weeks and months down the road. Unless you have some study or proof backing up what you said, I am having a tough time buying it man.

ProblemSolving

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are in New York correct? New York is it's own animal because of its population density and demographics. I can set my location to New York on Tinder, and I can find a hot girl willing to come over to my place within 30 minutes on the app. This is well documented on other forums with other guys having the same experience. New York is hands down the easiest place to get laid for a guy in the western world.

This is why you have guys saying that paying for the app is mandatory for consistent success and you have guys in weak competitive environments saying that it's not required.

As for "proof" of ELO score being bullshit, that's easy. Just make a fake Tinder account with a guy that looks like every girl's wet dream. The matches will come flooding in at the start, then peeter out within a month. Tinder is about making money, not helping good looking guys get laid. This is basic business. If the ELO shit worked, it would provide no incentive for a successful guy to ever pay for the app. On the other hand, if you give a guy a lot of success when he first starts the app, he is FAR more likely to pay money when that success is gradually taken away from him.

Tinder's algorithm caters to the new signups to get them hooked and to the people that PAY them money. This is how all paid online services work now. Tinder doesn't give a fuck if you have a 100% match rate or a 0% match rate. Like all smart businesses, it only cares about how new your account is and how much money you spent.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
ProblemSolving said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are in New York correct? New York is it's own animal because of its population density and demographics. I can set my location to New York on Tinder, and I can find a hot girl willing to come over to my place within 30 minutes on the app. This is well documented on other forums with other guys having the same experience. New York is hands down the easiest place to get laid for a guy in the western world.

This is why you have guys saying that paying for the app is mandatory for consistent success and you have guys in weak competitive environments saying that it's not required.

As for "proof" of ELO score being bullshit, that's easy. Just make a fake Tinder account with a guy that looks like every girl's wet dream. The matches will come flooding in at the start, then peeter out within a month. Tinder is about making money, not helping good looking guys get laid. This is basic business. If the ELO shit worked, it would provide no incentive for a successful guy to ever pay for the app. On the other hand, if you give a guy a lot of success when he first starts the app, he is FAR more likely to pay money when that success is gradually taken away from him.

Tinder's algorithm caters to the new signups to get them hooked and to the people that PAY them money. This is how all paid online services work now. Tinder doesn't give a fuck if you have a 100% match rate or a 0% match rate. Like all smart businesses, it only cares about how new your account is and how much money you spent.

You have a point, NYC has spoiled the fuck out of me.

Thought more about what you are saying but I do notice that switching location gives you a boost as well.

Before going to France, I noticed that it was tough for me to get matches at the same frequency as when I first started with the app. So you certainly have a point, agree with what you are saying.

Start_ed_young

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I’m 15 and I started tinder yesterday, before reading this guide. I used only the four pictures I have of myself on my phone.
I was very picky with my swipes and got 2 matches last night, I have 25 likes at the moment. I believe if I tried to get some quality pictures, I would be able to do pretty well on here. It is unfortunate there is only 18+ on here. Honestly I’d much rather fuck girls my own age than 3 years older than me.

Got 2 decent matches like I said, but I don’t really know how to message them. With one, her bio said something about how she is “only looking for friends unless you really catch my eye”
I messaged: I suppose I caught your eye then *sexy smirk emoji
Her: Yes sir

I don’t know what to do with that, but it sounds like I got a shot

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Fucking shit dude don't do Tinder at the age of 15, work on a fucking social life.

I am going to be writing a guide now on how to make the most of online dating as my success there as of late has been amazing!

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Oh Pry said:
If you haven't caught on to it already, this is where our generation is going with dating.
If you haven't caught on to it already, this is where our generation is going with dating.

No joke aside, my main points are:

Someone once famously said, that chatting online with a girl is like a simulator. You have access to her mind, test anything you want.

Given the above truth (if it's a truth), is there any benefit of tuning your natural texting skills on a [high pressure] platform like Tinder over a [friendly, social] platform like Instagram? I'm seriously asking, I've never used Tinder. But at least I enjoy these more low pressure, friendlier texting environments, I'm definitely gaining insights I can use even in real life interactions.

>