Oscillate's Journal

Oscillate

Rookie
Rookie
Was out with friends tonight, had a game of dares and had a lot of fun doing ridiculous things in public. One of the things I'm most proud of is that I can do something very bold/embarrassing and keep a straight face, laugh about it and have a good time. So this night inspired me to begin my first trials in the art of "actually going and talking to girls"

Tomorrow I'll be off the to the library, study for 1-1.5 hours, and then begin the test. I'm going to strut around looking for a cute girl by herself, walk up and say "Hey, are you single?" Response "I thought you were cute and wanted to come meet you, I'm Oscillate.." Then the general outline is to figure out what she's doing at the library, direct it towards school and then what she wants to do when she's older. I always find it interesting what people want to do. After a bit I'll ask for her number, and leave(I'll be done studying by then) Anything goes wrong and I'll just say I liked meeting a cute girl and brighten her day a bit.

One thing I expect to be a flaw is how fast I speak. I get fast when nervous, so if that occurs, at least I'll know what to work on afterwords. The important bit is "having a bit of fun" with someone I've never met. It's a bold risk on my part, and as it was eloquently put by the noob guide, it's something that most of my friends have probably never done.

I'm in this because I don't want to be a shy guy anymore. I want to get girls. And the reaction of my friends when I tell them I'm getting numbers left & right, later down the road, will be priceless.

Edit: Should also be noted that I entirely expect that the girl will find something off about my approach, and not be buying it. Rejection is likely this first attempt, but that is OK. My escape plan is fairly sound, to be implemented if things go down hill. I am hoping that whoever I choose is not disinterested immediately, and will try to influence by the way I walk, and looking for a girl who looks friendly.

To be continued: Tommorow

Oscillate

Rookie
Rookie
Upon further considering, I realized it was foolish to try and do something so 'complex' as my first task. I read up on some articles and begin to realize that what I wanted to do would be like trying to nail a song on guitar I've literally never played before. So I scrapped that plan, but didn't get discouraged/depressed about it.
Instead, I made my goal to make eye contact with 10 people and explore the mall. A challenge in itself, but a realistic one.
My encounters were as follows:

-Walking through the library to a spot where I could study, I noticed girls were actually checking me out. A first, that's for damn sure. One was a cute brunette who glanced up at me, I looked right into her eyes and she looked down shyly.It made me confident.
-About 3 other nondescript girls looked up or over to me, and I met their gaze and they broke away quickly. This was over the course of my stay, as I made sure to walk around frequently.
-I also noticed that when making eye contact with males of my own age, they consistently held contact with me and I eventually looked to the side. I will have to hold my ground next time.
-More notably, as I was walking to get something a 20-something librarian girl that mildly resembled Kat Dennings came out of nowhere, I locked eyes with her, then quickly took a slightly awkward step out of the way because we were going to run into each other. I must've kept looking at her face because she turned her eyes to mine once more, I don't remember after that. I wish I didn't get flustered there.
-Another interesting thing was while I was sitting studying, a girl had walked past me twice, both times I thought she was leaving(heading towards 1st floor when there's nothing down there but the children's section and the main door). However she came back for a 3rd run, this time facing me. I tried to make eye contact to see what she's all about but she was looking left, seemed pre occupied. I later realized she actually chose to sit in the seat right behind me(separated by a pillar) and decided to maneuver myself to walk past her on the way back to my seat, but she wouldn't look up. My ego felt like she was giving me some sort of subtle sign, but I decided she was just busy and stopped caring.

All in all I successfully made and held eye contact with 6 people, all girls. And decided not to go to the mall as it was Sunday and I decided it'd be best to go tomorrow.
Learned that it's important to recognize when you're making an unrealistic goal, and not to beat yourself up about it.
Will go to the mall tomorrow and make more eye contact. So far, this is fun :)

Oscillate

Rookie
Rookie
Spent all day with friends and even explained my ideas on self improvement, especially in regards to getting girls to two of them. Really got to see my own clarity on the matter come into play. I understand how one becomes good with girls, as I explained, and emphasized it is simply a matter of getting the miles in once you know your path. This felt good, and I think it helped my friends a bit. We've never been open about girls, especially not about how we aren't good with them, and this might change things.

So anyway, after all that I went to the mall by myself(this has to be done alone) and had the goal of making eye contact and holding with 10 people.
I held it with 12 actually, and broke prematurely with several more. I'm finding that people are very hesitant to look around at people, and being the one to do so gives you a feeling of power actually. If you don't smile though, it comes off as intimidating. And I think I'm still getting that as people aren't smiling back at me. As well, I have not actually locked eyes with many girls, but I am beginning to think I'm over thinking this. This really doesn't matter because my goal is actually to become comfortable with looking people in the eyes. And I think I've succeeded there, when I go on my next hunt, I will be actually saying hey. One small step at a time.

As a side note, I learned that the mall is absolutely dead on Mondays. No surprises there I suppose, and as well the library is dead Friday-Monday.
I also noticed that girls in the mall ARE ALWAYS IN PAIRS. Every damn time. I figure once I get a little bit better at this, the first specific tactic I'll be looking at is how to talk to girls who're in groups. It's fun to look ahead.

>