Smiling = autorejection? Does this happen to you?

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Scenario 1: I'm going about my day. I encounter any stranger that is not a 7+ girl. Maybe it's walking past each other, sitting down next to each other by chance, a hired gun, you name it. If I smile and say hi, they smile and say hi back. Everyone is friendly. Everyone is happy.

Scenario 2: I'm going about my day. I encounter a stranger who is a 7+ girl. Any type of encounter. You name it. If I smile and say hi, they either focus to not even look at me, or if they do look, they look away (to the side) instantly. They don't smile. They usually have an attitude that reads like "please don't talk to me," regardless of what they're doing. They are not open to persistence.

How the heck are you supposed to get a hot girl when literally zero of them won't even return a friendly smile and say hi? And I'm not saying I'm making a seductive smile or anything weird. Just a standard friendly greeting. A smile, eye contact, and greeting. If we're walking, there's no slow down on my end like I want to start a conversation.

Does this happen to anyone else or just me?

Overdoze

Space Monkey
space monkey
nope

hard to assess exactly what it is.

could be a fundamentals problem

girls have often read you way before the "hi" with their spider senses.

how is the response on situational openers ?

here they should at least respond politely in spite of whatever.

maybe try that and really sense how theyre responding to you to read their view of you and how you come across (intimidating, like a child, peculiar - whatever - these thing i mention are just ideas...)

DrGuy_0

Rookie
Rookie
Make sure they're making eye contact with you first. And don't friendly smile hot girls, sexy smile them like Chase wrote about in that one article. That'll make you stand out from the crowd.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
ElderPrice said:
Scenario 1: I'm going about my day. I encounter any stranger that is not a 7+ girl. Maybe it's walking past each other, sitting down next to each other by chance, a hired gun, you name it. If I smile and say hi, they smile and say hi back. Everyone is friendly. Everyone is happy.

Scenario 2: I'm going about my day. I encounter a stranger who is a 7+ girl. Any type of encounter. You name it. If I smile and say hi, they either focus to not even look at me, or if they do look, they look away (to the side) instantly. They don't smile. They usually have an attitude that reads like "please don't talk to me," regardless of what they're doing. They are not open to persistence.

How the heck are you supposed to get a hot girl when literally zero of them won't even return a friendly smile and say hi? And I'm not saying I'm making a seductive smile or anything weird. Just a standard friendly greeting. A smile, eye contact, and greeting. If we're walking, there's no slow down on my end like I want to start a conversation.

Could be you are telegraphing your intentions and coming off as creepy. Do the same with another guy. Do at least 10 of those approaches. Guys should engage. If guys aren't returning the greeting, you have a fundamental issue. If you notice a difference in the way you say HI, there is your issue.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Overdoze said:
nope

maybe try that and really sense how theyre responding to you to read their view of you and how you come across (intimidating, like a child, peculiar - whatever - these thing i mention are just ideas...)
Situational openers help, but I can still tell they're not interested in having a conversation. They aren't hooked. They will walk away at the first socially acceptable opportunity.

How would I try to sense that? I've been trying to figure it out and haven't been able to, mainly since I can't see what I look like or what face I'm making. It really baffles me. Everyone who's not a 7+ girl reacts very friendly, like I made a positive contribution to their day by smiling and saying hi to them. And it's not a just a show, I legitimately feel happy and friendly on the inside when I'm doing it. If you change nothing else except that the subject is a 7+ girl, she wants nothing to do with me. So weird.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
DrGuy_0 said:
Make sure they're making eye contact with you first. And don't friendly smile hot girls, sexy smile them like Chase wrote about in that one article. That'll make you stand out from the crowd.
I hadn't really thought about who should make eye contact first. Are you really saying that one will completely destroy his chances by making eye contact first? That one little thing can be so self-destructive?

How does that compare to the ideas of having strong eye contact and having balls and just going right for what you want?
Because my mind is wired in this manner: see cute girl --> I want to meet her --> approach.

Doesn't seem right to instead be like: see cute girl --> I want to meet her --> orbit her for a long time until she finally decides to look at me --> say hi.

You know what I mean? Not trying to debate you, just trying to better understand your position.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Fuck This said:
ElderPrice said:

Could be you are telegraphing your intentions and coming off as creepy. Do the same with another guy. Do at least 10 of those approaches. Guys should engage. If guys aren't returning the greeting, you have a fundamental issue. If you notice a difference in the way you say HI, there is your issue.
Guys are covered by Scenario 1! Guys are never an issue. I can open and befriend any guy. As best as I can tell, I smile and say hi the exact same way whether it's a guy or 7+ girl.

Overdoze

Space Monkey
space monkey
ElderPrice said:
Overdoze said:
nope

Situational openers help, but I can still tell they're not interested in having a conversation. They aren't hooked. They will walk away at the first socially acceptable opportunity.

How would I try to sense that? I've been trying to figure it out and haven't been able to, mainly since I can't see what I look like or what face I'm making. It really baffles me. Everyone who's not a 7+ girl reacts very friendly, like I made a positive contribution to their day by smiling and saying hi to them. And it's not a just a show, I legitimately feel happy and friendly on the inside when I'm doing it. If you change nothing else except that the subject is a 7+ girl, she wants nothing to do with me. So weird.

you need to realise that its about what you emote or vibe. it radiates out. And all actions you do or try to add will flow of from this.

Also - you expect a hook from a hi opening to a stranger? Or a situational opener? You expect WAY too much from too little. Its a bit ignorant - saying not to bash but to help you be frank with yourself.

i sense in your response a frustration that is rough and based on ignorance around the reality of a pickup situation.

= its ALL in you.

slow down

expect less

the first point is JUST grabbing attention - the hi JUST puts you on her radar and if done out and about itll only make some girls say hi back. just getting this right is an art as its about HOW you captivate through pregame. Check out guns hovering as an example of HOW you can make her look at you first or start workign with her seeing you ( this creates the idea in her head that she LOOKED/Checked you out first flipping the social frame).

and drop all your ideas on how you think it should be what is creepy/weird etc. You dont know right now. It may feel odd to you.

Also from there in the next seconds and verbals its VERY easy to trigger a protective autoresponse from women where they pull back or eject or just move on since you are a stranger.

and if you linger too much the natural response is to move on.

so focus
1) on getting attention( hi or situational opener) - note there are ways to do this that are better eg proper lockin or movement patterns or side by side openings etc.
2) transferring into more - eg shift to curiosness as if she awoke that in you - wow you have an accent -are you xxx (minicold read her - misinterp on purpose)
3) establishing a short 3 min interaction
thats when you can expect a hook level to emerge in the beginning - eg by following a route like guns SMMA or alike.
note theres a certain flow across the 3 steps and mechanically doing it is weak. like bad sales people who just are talking heads but applies techniques.

later you can work on pregame eg smiling and making her look at you which will impact her better than smiling to her as you engage. just an example.

+ You really need to feel and manage your frustration to ground more cause its too strong a reaction for something like this. feel the frustration - take your time w this, the nuance of it and form it into progressive action. you need to sorta understand it from a more adult place in you.

This TAKES time to learn - its one of the hardest things in the world to do for real. And your own emotions and understanding is the first block for any realistic "seeing" of things.

sorry if unclear - wrote a bit as a flow. Hope you get my drift.

hedge90

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey. I get where you're coming from. I can tell you what my experience is.
My self-esteem is pretty low most if the time and I'm very anxious when I go out to game - I think these two are proably also true to you. Most of the time, I feel exactly the same as you. It's like no hot girl in the entire motherfucking universe would even acknowledge my existence even if I fucking started to jump up and down in front of her and yell "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME".
But even though this is what I feel, my other, less frequent experiences have teached me that this is in part an illusion, and in part based on the unconscious signals your face, gestures, posture, etc. emit - i.e. your vibe.
At other times, when I, for some reason, feel really relaxed and good about myself, I suddenly start to notice girls looking at me, and sometimes smiling back if I smile myself. That latter is very, VERY rare however, and usually goes like this: from my peripheral vision I see a girl looking at me. I look at her, we hold eyes for a few seconds, and I make a small warm smile, which she returns and turns away in a shy manner. Approaching is a breeze after such a pre-open.
What has never, ever happened to me is to be able to generate a smile from a situation where I am the first to initiate eye contact. It feels like women only feel comfortable if they can be the initiators in this.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Overdoze, thank you for the reply my friend. I find your thoughts fascinating since a lot of what I've studied has seemingly not touched on this, or has glossed over it.

Overdoze said:
you need to realise that its about what you emote or vibe. it radiates out. And all actions you do or try to add will flow of from this.

Also - you expect a hook from a hi opening to a stranger? Or a situational opener? You expect WAY too much from too little. Its a bit ignorant - saying not to bash but to help you be frank with yourself.

I shouldn't have used the word hook. You're right. I wasn't referring to 'the hook point.' But I think you know what I was trying to say. When I smile and say hi to 7+ girls, they do not 'hook' or 'take the bait' and smile and say hi back. I meant it more metaphorically, not the referring to the actual hook point.

i sense in your response a frustration that is rough and based on ignorance around the reality of a pickup situation.

Agreed! Also my mood wasn't great at the time when I wrote that which doesn't help... But yes it's getting frustrating. It's always been frustrating. I've been at this for something like 2 years. I've had to have hit 1000+ approaches now. And in that time, yeah I've learned and improved, but the results haven't ever really materialized. Sure I can get numbers and dates, but girls just aren't excited to be there. Probably half of my journal is about how when I get girls on dates, they NEVER warm up, despite following the best practices as best as possible. And when I see truly beautiful girls, they just aren't excited to receive my greeting. And when I read examples of interactions that other guys share, even new guys, where they share what the girl was saying throughout the interaction, my draw drops. If these FRs and LRs are accurate, girls seem to communicate very differently with other guys than what they say to me. I'm convinced something about me just isn't inciting sexual thoughts, but of course there's no way to really know that or troubleshoot that short of someone watching my interactions in person.

I've studied as best I can. I've read Chase's article 'When Your Approach Just Isn't Working' over and over, and I just can't make significant progress. And yeah I don't get it. Hence a thread like this.

the first point is JUST grabbing attention - the hi JUST puts you on her radar and if done out and about itll only make some girls say hi back. just getting this right is an art as its about HOW you captivate through pregame. Check out guns hovering as an example of HOW you can make her look at you first or start workign with her seeing you ( this creates the idea in her head that she LOOKED/Checked you out first flipping the social frame).

and drop all your ideas on how you think it should be what is creepy/weird etc. You dont know right now. It may feel odd to you.

Also from there in the next seconds and verbals its VERY easy to trigger a protective autoresponse from women where they pull back or eject or just move on since you are a stranger.

and if you linger too much the natural response is to move on.

so focus
1) on getting attention( hi or situational opener) - note there are ways to do this that are better eg proper lockin or movement patterns or side by side openings etc.
2) transferring into more - eg shift to curiosness as if she awoke that in you - wow you have an accent -are you xxx (minicold read her - misinterp on purpose)
3) establishing a short 3 min interaction
thats when you can expect a hook level to emerge in the beginning - eg by following a route like guns SMMA or alike.
note theres a certain flow across the 3 steps and mechanically doing it is weak. like bad sales people who just are talking heads but applies techniques.

later you can work on pregame eg smiling and making her look at you which will impact her better than smiling to her as you engage. just an example.
This is just fascinating to me because of all the stuff I've studied - GC, RSD, MM - nothing seems to imply that the pre-game and/or intro can be sooo vital. Like if you don't get it perfect, it's fatal. Everything has always given me the impression 'just go smile and say hi. what else are you going to do?' as if there's nothing to it. And also, if the idea is that you're turning yourself into a strong, confident man... well, such a man would just go for what he wants, no? He would be direct, smile, say hi, then a direct opener, something like that. It just seems to me to fly in the face of that spirit if the truth is actually that if you dare make eye contact and smile first, you're a dead man.

+ You really need to feel and manage your frustration to ground more cause its too strong a reaction for something like this. feel the frustration - take your time w this, the nuance of it and form it into progressive action. you need to sorta understand it from a more adult place in you.

This TAKES time to learn - its one of the hardest things in the world to do for real. And your own emotions and understanding is the first block for any realistic "seeing" of things.

sorry if unclear - wrote a bit as a flow. Hope you get my drift.
I'm trying my man. Check out my journal. I've been at this for approaching two years (only one year using the journal). Starting this very late in life. Also doing this all by myself. Haven't met another soul in the real world trying to learn pickup. I read everything I can and try to do it as best I can. But at the end of the day I can't figure out where I'm failing and why it's not working. For instance, I think I have a good haircut, but I don't really know. Same with wardrobe, same with my build, same with my personality (when I'm not frustrated and making posts on the internet!). But I just have no idea. So after trying my best and getting basically no results and no significant progress, needless to say, it gets very frustrating.

But thank you for the help. I appreciate you taking the time to share with me your perspective. I've definitely not thought of some of those ideas before. I've already started trying not to make eye contact first and to try to get her to look at me first. Eager to see how much of a difference it makes for me.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
hedge90 said:
My self-esteem is pretty low most if the time and I'm very anxious when I go out to game - I think these two are proably also true to you. Most of the time, I feel exactly the same as you. It's like no hot girl in the entire motherfucking universe would even acknowledge my existence even if I fucking started to jump up and down in front of her and yell "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME".
But even though this is what I feel, my other, less frequent experiences have teached me that this is in part an illusion, and in part based on the unconscious signals your face, gestures, posture, etc. emit - i.e. your vibe.
At other times, when I, for some reason, feel really relaxed and good about myself, I suddenly start to notice girls looking at me, and sometimes smiling back if I smile myself. That latter is very, VERY rare however, and usually goes like this: from my peripheral vision I see a girl looking at me. I look at her, we hold eyes for a few seconds, and I make a small warm smile, which she returns and turns away in a shy manner. Approaching is a breeze after such a pre-open.
What has never, ever happened to me is to be able to generate a smile from a situation where I am the first to initiate eye contact. It feels like women only feel comfortable if they can be the initiators in this.
As I mentioned in the reply I made before yours, this just fascinates me. I don't recall reading any seduction material that warns that no matter what you do, don't initiate eye contact. Like I've heard jokes about cargo shorts, or terrible hair cuts being effective forms of self-birth control, but never simply initiating eye contact!

hedge90

Space Monkey
space monkey
ElderPrice said:
hedge90 said:
As I mentioned in the reply I made before yours, this just fascinates me. I don't recall reading any seduction material that warns that no matter what you do, don't initiate eye contact. Like I've heard jokes about cargo shorts, or terrible hair cuts being effective forms of self-birth control, but never simply initiating eye contact!

Look, I'm not an expert and I'm not saying this is always true. I'm just saying this is my experience, and it may be in line with yours.

hedge90

Space Monkey
space monkey
Also one more thing to add. I think if you initiate eye contact and she hasn't noticed you before, she will ALWAYS look away, because this is most people's instinctive response. I think what you do in this case is you look away too, then a few seconds later look back again, in an entirely carefree manner - otherwise you will send creepy vibes.
I think a lot of this has to do what is going on inside of you. You may think that you are in perfect control of your body language, face, etc., but there must be a reason why the difference in the number of IOIs I get when I feel frustrated or depressed and when I feel confident and relaxed is day and night. For example, after a good date, having sex or a successful approach, I will almost certainly get a number of other IOIs that day, when otherwise I wouldn't get any.
One solution could be not to rely on pre-approach stuff so much?

zappbrannigan

Space Monkey
space monkey
Reading this "do not make eye contact first" thing is fascinating. It meshes really well with my own observations!

In my mind I always thought it was too obvious that you're "seeking" for a woman (any woman!) to acknowledge you. It's basically just another form of neediness when you go around attempting to desperately make eye contact. If it "just happens", it's much more natural and non-needy.

It's true that almost no pick-up material seems to suggest this, but GC comes close; I remember reading some articles about trying to improve your peripheral vision and awareness, so that you're not staring at women. This isn't exactly the same thing as attempting to make eye contact of course.

Maybe if one of the staff is reading this, they could turn their findings regarding this into a short post?

>