Social Power & The Law of Effort (2010)

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Originally posted in the first Girls Chase Forum on Saturday, 4 September 2010

Hey all,

Brief excerpt from the Fundamentals chapter of my upcoming book, in response to Miguel's request that I post something on the Law of Effort. Hope you find it useful.

Chase

PS, like your name suggestion, "Law of Minimum Effort," Miguel. Might consider changing it to that, or maybe to "Law of Least Effort," sometime before publication.

Chase said:
Social Power

Generally speaking, the person with the greatest amount of Social Power is the individual who gets the greatest amount of attention with the least amount of effort. A few examples:

• Someone who expends a lot of effort but gets little attention comes off as weird, creepy, socially inept, or as someone who just doesn’t get it
  • Someone who gets a lot of attention, but at the expense of a lot of expending effort, comes off as an attention-seeker, or an entertainer at best
  • Someone who gets a lot of attention, while seemingly expending little effort, comes off as attractive and desired
  • Someone who neither expends effort nor receives attention can be either invisible, or can sometimes seem mysterious and intriguing (since most people in social situations are competing for attention)

The rule of expending the least amount of effort – something I’ve taken to calling the Law of Effort – extends to every different kind of socializing category there is. When it comes to dominance displays (e.g., one man trying to “tool” another, like telling him, “Hey bro, nice haircut. I used to have the same cut in first grade”), the man exerting the least amount of effort wins. So, if one man attempts to tool another, but the recipient of the attempt merely smiles in a bemused way and then returns to whatever he’d been doing, the aggressor has lost the competition. When it comes to conversations, the individual doing the lion’s share of the talking and questioning and verbal footwork is the person with less social power – this even extends to text messaging and online communication (where the person sending shorter messages with less attempts to build a connection generally has more social power). The Law of Effort also underlies investment and compliance, which we’ll cover in a few chapters.

Another aspect of social power is need. The more someone in a conversation seems to need something from another person or group – whether it’s approval, acceptance, a connection, romantic interest, or something else – the lesser his or her social power is. The more independent and non-needy an individual appears, the greater his social power can become.

Finally, social power is also impacted by giving. The man who is most giving of social value – whether that comes in the form of genuine compliments, being inclusive, or by helping others to feel connected to him – tends to have the greatest amount of social power.

What does social power do for you? Well, one of the ways that women judge the desirability of a man is by weighing how much social power he has. The greater your social power, the more desirable a mate you make.

MonsieurLabrie

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
This is the rule to end all rules. The ultimate law of pickup.

You could have everything else right, but if you ignore this one, you will fail more often than not.

I would like to point out that emotions are a form of effort. Approach anxiety, feeling the need to impress, being thrown off or pining over a girl are all shades of expending too much effort.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
M. Labrie,

MonsieurLabrie said:
I would like to point out that emotions are a form of effort. Approach anxiety, feeling the need to impress, being thrown off or pining over a girl are all shades of expending too much effort.

Great point here. Emotions ARE effort, and the person with the stronger emotions is the one holding less power in the relationship or interaction.

Even emotions in other parts of life come into play here - you'll tend to be less productive when you're crashed OR excited than you are when you're calm but methodical. Emotions take work, demand focus, and cost you in cognitive processing power.

Perhaps we could say... all is effort(?).

Chase

stringer bell

Space Monkey
space monkey
Emotions take effort.. Any tips or blog posts related to how to control emotions better? I'm definitely one who is easy to excite but I feel it's more due to being a happy and upbeat person. The other emotions I would say I'd be more worried about controlling/suppressing, i.e. ones that result from being in an nervous or uncomfortable state.

Whizzy

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I would love to see a post or something about that as well. I typically have a ton of energy but don't really expend it, people just seem to be attracted to it though. So is this a good thing or something I should work on toning down?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@ Stringer,

stringer bell said:
Emotions take effort.. Any tips or blog posts related to how to control emotions better? I'm definitely one who is easy to excite but I feel it's more due to being a happy and upbeat person. The other emotions I would say I'd be more worried about controlling/suppressing, i.e. ones that result from being in an nervous or uncomfortable state.

Typically you want to "channel" or "direct" emotions more than you want to "control" them. It's sort of like trying to deal with a raging river... if you try to hold it back and control it, at some point it's just going to burst through the dam and sweep the town away. Instead, you want to channel it another direction and give it an outlet.

The best outlet for boundless emotion in my opinion is in directing it into intensity, and sexual energy. Divert your emotions into this, and women will be enamored (everyone will, really).

@ Whizzy,

Whizzy said:
I would love to see a post or something about that as well. I typically have a ton of energy but don't really expend it, people just seem to be attracted to it though. So is this a good thing or something I should work on toning down?

I wouldn't tone it down. Actually, it sounds like you're using it correctly already, if you're not expending it (but I assume are exuding it), and people are attracted to it. Use it for that - keep channeling it into being more magnetic, and it'll keep paying off for you.

Chase

Whizzy

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Thanks Chase that was something I've been wondering for a while and recently I've started to exude more energy once again and notice the difference already. Before I just wasn't sure if that would make me seem overly open or not

Altimeter

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I would like to post an example from the movie Ashita no Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82H96EbVA2A

In my opinion the main character here, completely in control and not head over heels about this woman is in a higher position and isn't making any effort at all.

Nuncle

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I recently caught the Jack Nicholson film Wolf in which the main character is bitten by a werewolf and slowly transforms from a mild-mannered, put upon "nice guy" into a smooth, effective and formidable corporate operator. The transformed character is a very good portrayal of Sprezzatura IMO. In fact the "before" and "after" are quite nice examinations of the difference between a regular and a dominant man.

This is the best example I can find on YouTube though there are better ones in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QaOPSX5-xM

(I know some of the things he says are probably not recommended when it comes to women but for me his eye-contact, tone, movements and general demeanour are very "Sprezz").

>