Sweater draped over shoulders

Marty

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
In Fashion for Men: The Primer on Looking Amazing, written only five months ago, Chase writes:

Another way of doing multiple layers that's been in vogue the past couple of decades among the more well-to-do (but seems to be on its way out) is wearing a dress shirt or polo shirt as layer #1, and a sweater loosely tied around the neck and draped over the back, shoulders, and chest as layer #2.

I live in a hot climate these days, and while multiple layers is a struggle to achieve outdoors in the summer months, we're just entering a period of the year when it's becoming more of a possibility. About a week ago I saw in the street a good-looking, assertive African-American man sporting this exact look, with a violet sweater (blacks can get away with some really outrageous colors and make it look good, don't you think?), and I remember noticing that he looked fantastic and remembering Chase's observation above.

So my first step has been to search the Internet for the proper method of tying the sweater—it may seem a no-brainer, but I checked the web in the spring for how to roll my sleeves properly and it helped immeasurably with my style and appearance of sprezzatura. What I found, however, was more than I bargained for: substantial vitriol and opposition to this style, from the humorous...

More pics from @MrSmoothNerd - Twicsy

...to the sardonic...

#32 – Sweaters Draped Over the Shoulder | Stuff Rich People Love

...to the downright offensive:

#36 The Sweater Over Shoulders Herb | Idiot Pants Party

Anyone want to share his/her opinion on this? I am tempted by the look and kinda think it'd suit my style, but surprised by the antagonism apparently directed at it by the public.

Knight

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Written five months ago! Jeez. I still remember opening that the day it came out.

My advice is just to avoid the whole over shoulders thing. I have a friend who drapes his sweater every now and again and I've heard multiple women comment on it in private at how odd and silly it makes him look - which I agree with. Perhaps you would be best to avoid it. Sweaters should be worn and when it's hot they should stay off and be put away... Although if you're into the look and understand it might not compliment your good looks to everyone go ahead!

>