The relationship between Reference Points, Proficiency & Personal Perfectionism and its effects on Connection Building. Advice would be appreciated!!

SunnyVibes

Space Monkey
space monkey
For this post, I would prefer the opinions of those who have actively gained experience in activities that were outside their fields of interest when they started seduction, and how they talk about their experiences.

Reference Points:
Different sorts of experiences whether they be interactions with different types of people or activities.

Proficiency:
The level of experience one has in a certain activity.

Perfectionism:
The level of proficiency in an activity past which a person feels comfortable integrating an activity as a part of their identity and therefore comfortable sharing it.

Let’s go through a personal example.

Reference point: Salsa
Proficiency: Newbie, have taken the intro program.
Personal Perfectionism level: I tend to dislike talking about anything I’m not somewhat comfortable at in an “I know so much theory look at me!!!” sort of way. I prefer to use specific ‘in group’ language.

Result: I will not talk about Salsa.
Downside: I’m probably not continuing Salsa and will not increase in proficiency anymore, therefore my experience may be wasted.

Reasons:
1) A sense of authenticity/imposterism.
2) A lack of knowledge on how to frame limited knowledge well in front of people who live the lifestyle.
3) The possible disparity that occurs between a talented and non talented person and the automatic placement of the other person as an authority figure.(Which I’d prefer to avoid)

I know @Chase took a boatload of classes to gather reference points: Archery, Salsa, Snowboarding, Spanish 101 I think and so much more.
But I know he probably didn’t become an expert at all of them. Yet he utilizes them in his conversations with people much more informed on the subject than he is without:

1) Framing himself as “inferior” or being in the student role.
2) While not feeling like he’s an imposter(technically I can’t guess his feelings)
3)Most importantly(for me) without lying about his proficiency, which is admirable.
I believe he keeps the discussion away from the technicalities of the activity and more about the fun and feeling involved in the activity? I’m not sure, I may be projecting because I was experimenting with that form of communication.

Anyways,
He does all of this and still manages to connect with those who are more involved in that particular lifestyle, he achieves in-ness.

I’ll be honest that I like gathering reference points.
But I won’t ever be even decently skilled at most of them, yet I’d love to be able to use them without feeling like an imposter while achieving an ‘in-ness’ with those more proficient.

I believe this may be connected to my perfectionism and unwillingness to lie.

Thoughts that may help me?
Thank you to those who give me advice.

Warmly,
SunnyVibes🔆

enrico

Space Monkey
space monkey
@SunnyVibes I think your perfectionism is showing in this and you're over thinking what you need to use these reference points. These reference points are conversation points talking about experience, what you liked, how you felt, why you tried it, why you stopped even.

Using your salsa example as an example, if you're taking to a girl that loves to dance and dances salsa, "I love that you're so passionate about dancing salsa, I danced salsa a little before, I haven't done it in a while but I love that it's energetic and fast. Romance and passion are deep rooted in every dance. What got you into dancing salsa?"

I've shared an experience, I've gave a comment about it, I'm framing the passion she has with a passionate dance and setting this frame and now directed the conversation back to her. I haven't once mentioned how good I am and I've even said I haven't done it in a while, you could even say you don't do it anymore as a preempt to not looking like a fraud.

If she asks questions about my experience and little information I've gave I'll answer, but I'm directing the conversation to her, I want to get her talking and direct the conversation.

The reference points are just that, reference points. They give you little experiences and stories that you can use with anyone and everyone.

BIGGUS DICKUS: PUSSY MAN

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Reference points are a bitch

Like a 1,000 ways to die, am I right?

You have to fail in every step of seduction in so many different ways in order to start making the right decisions.

Like for example, I fucked up with this girl I was texting because I forgot about the rule to not be too flirty or gamey over text, I know this rule but I forgot.

I just gained another reference point

Note to self: don’t try any tech over text unless you really know what your doing

This experience only reinforced what I knew logically but now I have another reference point to back it up.

So yeah, you have to die 1,000 ways in order to start getting somewhere in seduction. Lol.

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I recommend you pick up the book “How to be an Imperfectionist”

It doesn’t matter what you do, you’re going to suck at it if it’s new to you.

As for gaining references points, I think a different way to call that is getting life experience. Let your curiosity and interests lead you. You’ll know you’re in the right direction if you’re interested and a bit out of your comfort zone.

Don’t waste your time if you have no interest in it. Sure it’ll be an experience, but a bad one and with little relevance to your life.

SunnyVibes

Space Monkey
space monkey
@SunnyVibes I think your perfectionism is showing in this and you're over thinking what you need to use these reference points. These reference points are conversation points talking about experience, what you liked, how you felt, why you tried it, why you stopped even.

Using your salsa example as an example, if you're taking to a girl that loves to dance and dances salsa, "I love that you're so passionate about dancing salsa, I danced salsa a little before, I haven't done it in a while but I love that it's energetic and fast. Romance and passion are deep rooted in every dance. What got you into dancing salsa?"

I've shared an experience, I've gave a comment about it, I'm framing the passion she has with a passionate dance and setting this frame and now directed the conversation back to her. I haven't once mentioned how good I am and I've even said I haven't done it in a while, you could even say you don't do it anymore as a preempt to not looking like a fraud.

If she asks questions about my experience and little information I've gave I'll answer, but I'm directing the conversation to her, I want to get her talking and direct the conversation.

The reference points are just that, reference points. They give you little experiences and stories that you can use with anyone and everyone.
Thank you for the clear advice!! I particularly like that you reminded me that I can actually tell the girl I stopped taking classes. Very helpful:)

SunnyVibes

Space Monkey
space monkey
I recommend you pick up the book “How to be an Imperfectionist”

It doesn’t matter what you do, you’re going to suck at it if it’s new to you.

As for gaining references points, I think a different way to call that is getting life experience. Let your curiosity and interests lead you. You’ll know you’re in the right direction if you’re interested and a bit out of your comfort zone.

Don’t waste your time if you have no interest in it. Sure it’ll be an experience, but a bad one and with little relevance to your life.
I went to what I believe was an emo goth concert😂. Man oh man I appreciated the newness of it, but your words make sense:)). Cheers and thanks Wick.

>