Thin Hair: Need Some Advice

Achilles

Space Monkey
space monkey
I have a full head of hair, but my hair is EXTREMELY fine. I'd like to grow my hair out, which I have never done before in my life.

I'm in my late 20s and want to give it a shot.

Any advice? Is this even doable if my hair is very fine? I do have some slight balding at my bald spot, but it's barely noticeable.

I'm considering growing it out to almost jaw length.

metomeya

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I remembering seeing a musician on a talk show who just cut his hair short. I couldn't believe how thin his hair was. Between the lights and the wet look, he looked very bald on top. Anyways, my point being when he had the long hair you couldn't tell. I think if you grow it long, it'll be a great way to cover up your thin hair and bald spot. But can't really say without pictures.

Achilles

Space Monkey
space monkey
metomeya said:
I remembering seeing a musician on a talk show who just cut his hair short. I couldn't believe how thin his hair was. Between the lights and the wet look, he looked very bald on top. Anyways, my point being when he had the long hair you couldn't tell. I think if you grow it long, it'll be a great way to cover up your thin hair and bald spot. But can't really say without pictures.

Thanks for the reply, man.

Yeah, I actually normally wear my hair up but once I had had it down and someone was surprised how short my hair really was. In other words, I usually put stuff in it so it looks big but in reality it's pretty flat.

I've been hearing about a new hair treatment option that tattoos a pigment into your balding spots to make it appear darker. I think it's pretty cool, but I just think it's kind of weird. It would be too strange to bring up in conversation or whatever. But it does look like a cool option if your hair is thinning and don't want to do the whole transplant thing.

Estate

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Achilles said:
I have a full head of hair, but my hair is EXTREMELY fine. I'd like to grow my hair out, which I have never done before in my life.

I'm in my late 20s and want to give it a shot.

Any advice? Is this even doable if my hair is very fine? I do have some slight balding at my bald spot, but it's barely noticeable.

I'm considering growing it out to almost jaw length.

Mine is similar man, always has been.No balding or receeding but it's very fine hair...
To be honest I'd advise keeping it short. I've left mine go longer sometimes and I've seen guys let theirs go VERY long it it never looks good.
Long hair when it's very thin just never looks good, longer hair needs volume.

A few things you can do though...
- Always keep it clean and washed. Sounds dumb but if you don't wash it every day, hair can easily get greasy and clump and make the scalp more obvious.
- Use a decent shampoo and conditioner labelled "volumizing". I don't know what the difference is but my hair looks ratty using mens head and shoulders... using a decent product makes it looks much better.
- Don't go to supercuts... again, sounds dumb but go to a place where you'll pay a little more. Short hair can look really good if it's just cut right. Guys assume short hair is a quick buzz with the razor, $10-$15, 10 minutes and out the door. A decent place will at least give you a good fade, leave the top a little longer and have some sort of distinguishing feature... like, I leave the top front a little longer and spike it up. It needs to be cut right though or it just doesn't work well because short hair needs to be neat.

I trying to think of famous examples but guys here like Daniel Craig, think of him as Bond... short, neat but not exactly just a $10 buzz cut.

>