Would you stay friends with someone who lied to you?

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
A few years ago a friend told me he cheated on his partner. This came up again maybe 2years or 3years after that. But when it came up again he denied it.

Would this be no problem to you, or would this be a possible trust issue and you might reconsider this person as a friend?

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
It has nothing to do with you. Also you are thinking black and white there is no reason to completely trust anyone. Just trust them for the capacity they seem to be trustworthy. But wrecking a friendship due to one simple lie? .

Seriously we men can be a bit too rigid and lose out in life because of it

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
How to trust another man.

I think that we guys have not address this and often try to shy away from it.

My rule of thumb to trust a guy is (aside from the guy murdering someone. That's someone I can make peace with but sure not as friends, unless he serve his time already)

i don't really care if people cheat because I reach a point where I see girls as full of shit, guys as sellouts but importantly myself as full of S.

1)Self Awareness
2)Putting yourself in his position and ask yourself sincerely if you will likely do what he did.
3)Similar Values (Direction)

As an example:

It happened to me and a friend. We are in a social circle and that this social circle, I have lose respect from all the guys because we lost a football game ONLY ONCE.

Now, putting aside that the social circle is trash, my friend step up and become captain because he was the guy in the neutral role in the football team.

AND This is a male thing.

A lot of males will champion for you privately to get something out of you until social circle level and they start acting different and act as if you are irrelevant.

This is also why girls don't like men. :) Facts.

z@c+

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
You can't expect someone to remember something he said few years ago. Do you remember every single detail you told your friends back then? No of course not. Don't expect that from others.

As DK wrote: Even if he is lying, that lie had nothing to do with you.

Be more flexible than that. If you end all your relationships because of one lie that is not about you, you will quickly lose people around you.

Will_V

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
A few years ago a friend told me he cheated on his partner. This came up again maybe 2years or 3years after that. But when it came up again he denied it.

Would this be no problem to you, or would this be a possible trust issue and you might reconsider this person as a friend?

Everyone has secrets. Also, I can hardly imagine this 'coming up' in any way that would facilitate honesty.

I would be more interested if the lie was a signal that someone has changed perspective on something fundamental, as that can have implications for where the friendship might go in future.

>