Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Knight wrote
- The amount of buttons is up to your personal choice. Three and two buttons will highlight your body the best and never goes out of style however have a look around. The number of buttons also show how 'formal' or 'casual' the blazer is.
- NEVER button the bottom button.

Darius wrote
who I think would be a tribal elder if he was on the forums as he has written articles?
Shorter guys make sure that blazer has less than 3 buttons (like in the example), taller guys, on the other hand, should go for blazers with 3 or more buttons.

I know you're not to do up the bottom button. I don't know if that's never do it up, or never do it up "by itself" eg if you do up the top button(s) can you do the bottom one up, or the bottom one pretty much never do it up?

My main question though, is what Knight wrote in the other thread, about buttons indicating how formal/casual the blazer type, is that true?
Darius article on his site doesn't seem to make any mention of more buttons being more or less casual/formal.

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
** BUMP **

If it helps, the clothes I'd be wearing are a crewneck eg roundneck[not a scoop neck] tshirt untucked with skinny jeans, chelsea boots, and the blazer probably unbuttoned. This for shopping malls day game/and also some shopping malls might stay open later into the night some days.

Fluxcapacitor

Modern Human
Modern Human
@Rain dude! I'm not the most "fashionable" dude but the bottom button should never be fastened on a 2 or 3 button blazer. The only exception to this on a 3 button blazer is if you're standing/walking outside and you have an overcoat/trench coat on over the top but this should be unbuttoned immediately upon entering a venue or the overcoat being removed. - use this moment to "pose" with a purpose for an attention grab.

A blazer with more buttons is more formal than one with fewer. A blazer is a step beneath a suit jacket, a suit jacket with 4 buttons looks incredibly formal.

2 or 3 buttons would be ideal for what you're looking for. Find a blazer that fits you well and that you feel comfortable in regardless of if it has 2 or 3 buttons if it's going to be open most the time. Make sure it fits well when it's buttoned. This gives you options and you can use buttoning up or unbuttoning an "event" - I forget the title of the article but the tip is to strike a 2 second pose to make you an "event" as an attention grab. This makes girls notice you.

DonGately

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Never button the bottom button. If you have 3, button the middle one. If you are wearing an overcoat you can button the top two but then unbutton the top button after removing it.

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Never button the bottom button. If you have 3, button the middle one. If you are wearing an overcoat you can button the top two but then unbutton the top button after removing it.
I'm not the most "fashionable" dude but the bottom button should never be fastened on a 2 or 3 button blazer. The only exception to this on a 3 button blazer is if you're standing/walking outside and you have an overcoat/trench coat on over the top but this should be unbuttoned immediately upon entering a venue or the overcoat being removed. - use this moment to "pose" with a purpose for an attention grab.

Thanks for the replies about the buttons to do up/not do up.

A blazer with more buttons is more formal than one with fewer. A blazer is a step beneath a suit jacket, a suit jacket with 4 buttons looks incredibly formal.

2 or 3 buttons would be ideal for what you're looking for. Find a blazer that fits you well and that you feel comfortable in regardless of if it has 2 or 3 buttons if it's going to be open most the time

I've found some that fit well, but they only have 1 button. Is 1 button blazer a no go or would that would be good for what I'm looking for as thats the most casual/least formal?

Fluxcapacitor

Modern Human
Modern Human
@Rain dude! 1 button would be cool, it's very casual and fit for purpose. The fit is more important because that's what will stand out the most and makes the biggest impact to your outfit. Button rules show you pay attention to details and are fashionable but most girls won't actually know the rules they'd typically pick up on if it looks right.

Make sure it fits right buttoned and unbuttoned. When it's buttoned it can taper and flair out more than a blazer with more buttons because of the proportions of the cut. (Usually it's fine but I've seen some really badly made blazers that do this and it ruins your shape/outline/silhouette)

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I'm not sure where I read this but modern blazers and suit jackets are a throwback to the jackets that old noblemen and cavalry units used to wear.
They had to unbotton the lowest button in order to spread their legs and ride the horse properly.

So, following the historical trend, modern jackets are designed in a way that the back flaps actually fit your body best when the last one is unbuttoned.
You can unbutton the upper buttons or even button the lowest one if you do it intentionally... but the lowest one unbottened is the "proper" way.

Fluxcapacitor

Modern Human
Modern Human
I'm not sure where I read this but modern blazers and suit jackets are a throwback to the jackets that old noblemen and cavalry units used to wear.
They had to unbotton the lowest button in order to spread their legs and ride the horse properly.

So, following the historical trend, modern jackets are designed in a way that the back flaps actually fit your body best when the last one is unbuttoned.
You can unbutton the upper buttons or even button the lowest one if you do it intentionally... but the lowest one unbottened is the "proper" way.
@uriel dude! The historical significance is the king Edward VII "rule" where the bottom button of his waistcoat was unbuttoned because he was too fat and the trend caught on. Mostly in Britain and the empire, Europe and the US adopted the trend in the early 1900s.

The bottom button on blazers and suits are left unbuttoned to pay tribute to the horse riding/sports jackets they replaced. (Again a trend by king Edward VII) and since the early 1900s blazers/suits/waistcoats have been specifically designed to have the bottom button unfastened. (Badly made blazers have a tendency to overdo this)

It's worth noting this is what gives the exception of standing/walking outside with an overcoat. If I recall correctly this is a trend started in Italy (I forget the dudes name), before they adopted the King Edward VII trend/rule. The overcoat is required for the layered look and takes emphasis over the bottom button, but this should still be unfastened immediately upon entering a venue, sitting down or taking off the overcoat.

DonGately

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

You can get 1 vent, side vents [2] or zero vents. Talk to your tailor about what looks good on you and what you enjoy wearing, I have suits with all of the above.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Sometimes-Always-Never-3.jpg

>