David Tian (Asian Rake) Thinks Game is Toxic

Chrance

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Apart from him spamming his links on Chase's website I actually see his tactics as ingenious. At this moment we have to consider this man as a salesman, NOT as a PUA. He is not occupied with principles or ideals except making some good bucks. In order to do this he has to appeal to a broader community hence avoid unsafe feeling words like pua and using more socially accepted terms. "Phd" Is just one of those.

I've known plenty of academics at one point and it struck me how they lived too much in their heads and not enough in the actual world. They seem to be unable to truly observe social occurences with their eyes, despite that less intelligent people could do so in the same situations. They tend to adapt real world facts to the intellectual paradigms by which they already live. This is a broad generalization but I have seen this unfold many times.

However again, academics is not relevant. This is MARKETING. Everything which can give him authenticity and authority helps especially when it goes with a socially accepted frame. Spamming this website gives him a bad rep though and is not what he should be going for.

This whole comment reminds me of the rise and prominence of the words “marketing”, “brand” and “sales” in the red-pill/manosphere community as well as in some PU spheres. Here’s a funny but truthful mix of words: marketing yourself as a salesman is bad branding

This is an agreement with your comment in case there’s any confusion. It’s just something I’ve noticed over the years. Former X needs to change “brand” to Y to keep money following. Every redpill or pua grifter I’ve viewed always chatted at some point about the significance of “branding”, “sales”, and “marketing”. Anyone imo who needs to emphasize or do a lot of branding, marketing or salesmanship rubs me the wrong way, like a guy who’s poorly spitting a routine (which I’m guilty of lmao) or mass approaching with no awareness.

I’m not familiar with this guy though, so I can’t deeply comment on his choices. Your comment just reminded me of all the money chasing that goes on, as well as all the PUAs ive read and even met who just so happened to be money chasers

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Well, nothing wrong with some good old money chasing. However this guy pretty much kicks away the ladder which got him to the place where he is and although I understand his motives, he is alienating his old allies/ fellow seducers. But again we should not look at this from a idealistic viewpoint, since I am pretty sure he isn't. It's utter pragmatic capitalism.

Anyway I don't really judge, I guess this fellow heeds the phrase "everyone is on his own". I am certain he has already weighed the benefits and drawbacks of his new path. For some people this works out well.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Actually, David's PhD is in something related to religious morality. Forget the exact title/niche.

He self-taught himself ancient Chinese so he could read the Analects of Confucius in the original language it was written. He's a smart guy, and a legitimate Confucian scholar.

Of course, as he is presenting himself as "Dr. David", people are probably going to assume his PhD is in something related to the field he currently operates in. But seduction is a space in general that does not attract many folks with a formal education in the field. My highest university educational attainment is a bachelor's in business management (minor: supply chain & information systems).

Anyway -- the blog comment spam is obviously some third world backlink service he hired to just build backlinks to a page he wants to rank higher in search, based on the sloppiness of it. We probably just ranked well for a term they Googled and wanted backlinks for.

Using any kind of credentials in selling anything is smart, from a marketing perspective. When I started building One Date & The Dating Artisan, the focus on research was originally in part to make the product come across as more legitimate, due to being able to claim "it's science based." Although what actually happened once I was in it was that the science began shaping the product -- connection became "attitude similarity", breaking rules became "arousal", and many other things made it in there and filled out the product we eventually made. So then it really did become heavily science-based (to the point where I was trying to find studies to back up almost every claim or recommendation I wanted to make, and in a few cases dropped some claims that seemed to be a little flimsier -- maybe something that worked for me but wouldn't work for most people, for instance).

So I can't really blame him too much for advertising himself as a PhD, even if his field isn't precisely relevant. More or less a case of "if you've got it, flaunt it."

Chase

DrexelScott

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Marriage isn’t a requirement for traditionalists. Plenty of celibate traditionalists out there, and you’d be surprised by how “red-pilled” some monks are. Catholic and Orthodox Churches teach both marriage and celibacy as perfectly valid paths, though Protestants generally don’t understand or practice monasticism. I became Eastern Orthodox and Roosh became Armenian Orthodox, which is similar to EO in far more ways than it isn’t, and St. Augustine is a great role model for men who turn their lives from hedonism over to God instead. Hope everyone’s well.

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Marriage isn’t a requirement for traditionalists. Plenty of celibate traditionalists out there, and you’d be surprised by how “red-pilled” some monks are. Catholic and Orthodox Churches teach both marriage and celibacy as perfectly valid paths, though Protestants generally don’t understand or practice monasticism. I became Eastern Orthodox and Roosh became Armenian Orthodox, which is similar to EO in far more ways than it isn’t, and St. Augustine is a great role model for men who turn their lives from hedonism over to God instead. Hope everyone’s well.

But what's the point of celibacy? I am not being critical. I am fine with people not agreeing with me here, but I am really curious to understand their argument and their way of thinking, since honestly, I can never understand such choices, and I would like to understand.

DrexelScott

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
But what's the point of celibacy? I am not being critical. I am fine with people not agreeing with me here, but I am really curious to understand their argument and their way of thinking, since honestly, I can never understand such choices, and I would like to understand.

Ideally, when done voluntarily, it’s to acquire the Holy Spirit to a greater degree and live more in accordance with Christ’s commandments. It is hard to raise a family and think spiritual thoughts all day at the same time. Very different from incel or MGTOW, internally, even if it looks similar from the outside. The less enslaved we are to our desires, the more free our souls become.

Ironically, I realized I was an addict about 7 years ago. I distinctly remember telling my primary at the time that I wanted to try and be celibate just to clear the fog from my mind and life. Less than 24 hours later I was right back in it. It is simply not possible to do via willpower; only prayer and grace can free us.

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Well, If I may mention this: it seems perhaps you may have a more addictive personality than I have. You know me, I go out a lot and I (used to before lockdown and shit) and meet plenty of women. I still had time for other things. I mean after all I spent more time thinking - I didn't do over 7 years of successful university studies if that was not so.

I think a good balance, and a healthy way of doing thing is the key here!

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Ironically, I realized I was an addict about 7 years ago. I distinctly remember telling my primary at the time that I wanted to try and be celibate just to clear the fog from my mind and life. Less than 24 hours later I was right back in it. It is simply not possible to do via willpower; only prayer and grace can free us.

Some of the mental fog may be related to information overload. This seems to be rampant in today's society. The corona lockdown has enabled me to formulate a lot of stuff that was disorganized in the my head, simply because it forced me into a higher level of introversion than usual, not speaking with people the entire day for weeks in a row.

I know a that lot of religious thinkers have taken such retreats from the noise of society to gain mental clarity. So there probably more than one mechanism at work here. I have come to the conclusion that most people nowadays just have a bunch of inconsistent nonsense in their heads from a long list of distractions and media outlets often successfully trying to hijack them into a certain way of thinking. This may be true even for highly competent individuals. If I were you, I would look for any sorts of teachings within your framework that focuses on the question of reducing information overload and shifting focus from the petty concerns of the plebs to higher meta-visions.

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Common story with David. Guy in his 20s when is hormones have taken off like a rocket ship is on board with game, because it aligns with his goals and interests... slinging his seed far and wide. When he hits his 40's, his testosterone has dropped off, and has a miraculous "revelation" that game is now suddenly and intrinsicly "toxic." And then he gets all moralistic, preachy, and "higher than thou" about it too. And just comes across as a cranky old fart.

Nah, he didn't become more enlightened or "matured". That's a cover for losing your sex drive and testosterone, and trying to make yourself feel good about it, or even feel superior, about becoming an old cranky guy that wants to throw cold water on the party of being young and virile.
good analysis

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Everything you need to know about David Tan can be summed up by the following comment from his own website.

'The investment for a one-hour Phone or Video Coaching Session with Dr. David Tian is US$3,000'

This is a man who claims to have evolved beyond pick up gimmicks and presumably uses his PhD status to help everyone because he is a nice guy. In actuality he is doing pick up, just with a few name changes so he can be more mainstream popular and charge others extortionate amounts of money.

In my mind that's the lowest of the low.
i actually see nothing wrong with this,its a free market after all,he is not holding a gun to anyone and forcing them to pay

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Apart from him spamming his links on Chase's website I actually see his tactics as ingenious. At this moment we have to consider this man as a salesman, NOT as a PUA. He is not occupied with principles or ideals except making some good bucks. In order to do this he has to appeal to a broader community hence avoid unsafe feeling words like pua and using more socially accepted terms. "Phd" Is just one of those.

I've known plenty of academics at one point and it struck me how they lived too much in their heads and not enough in the actual world. They seem to be unable to truly observe social occurences with their eyes, despite that less intelligent people could do so in the same situations. They tend to adapt real world facts to the intellectual paradigms by which they already live. This is a broad generalization but I have seen this unfold many times.

However again, academics is not relevant. This is MARKETING. Everything which can give him authenticity and authority helps especially when it goes with a socially accepted frame. Spamming this website gives him a bad rep though and is not what he should be going for.
i often wonder if this is true about roosh too,its like adapting to the new political environment

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Since I have been getting back into practicing game again, I've been looking into the material I've saved over the years. One of them was an article on "Challenge Screening" by David Tian. His dating website has been deleted so I had to use an archived link to access it.

I discovered David Tian from a newsletter (11 March 2017) from Chase where he introduced him as "My longtime pal Dr. David Tian just did an interview with our own Varoon Rajah on his brand-new inner game masterclass."

I then listened to another great podcast from him about the importance of taking game seriously and improving it as a skill. And I was curious to see what he was up to these days.

So I check his Instagram and was surprised to see that he has "Former dating coach" in his bio. I sent him a message saying I really appreciated his content and that I got to know him through Chase. I then said if the reason he stopped teaching game openly was because of SJWs then it was a shame.

Here was his response:

Source:
jb8MGAh.jpg

Well I have to say I wasn't pleased to hear this. IMHO Chase and the whole GC community is the most reasonable (and anti-cultish) gaming community that currently exists.

This is even more true now that RSD pivoted into self-help and polarizing guys like Roosh V have been attempted to be silenced.

Practicing and teaching pickup has become a game of hot potato. Everyone is ready to throw everyone else (even old pals) under the bus to protect their image. Or maybe they all found their "calling" and started seeing the good side, see: Neil Strauss writing the book "The Truth".
I have watched this video and I think its way longer then it needs to be,he rambles all over the place,that being said,I think we should not judge guys like this too harshly,there a lot of beliefs i held in the past that I dont hold any more,lucky for me because I am not in the limelight I dont have to do a media tour recanting my previous beliefs publicly,i dont think he is some villain,he is just a normal guy who changed his mind like a lot of people no doubt do

>